Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

• @themarcv It's meant to be really good. A direct sequel to P5. But it's not out in the West yet. Rumoured to be coming out before March though.

• @hazz3r Gotcha, I knew about it but didn't know it was out anywhere yet. Not a fan of this genre but this and persona are intriguing.

• Dum idea but what if they include a alternate ending as a bonus campaign?

May god have mercy on everyone who contributed to this
    Youtube Video

• @dmcmaster said:

Dum idea but what if they include a alternate ending as a bonus campaign?

I've been thinking about that all day, how I kind of wish this was that, but then also this sticking to the original is pretty crazy for Nintendo. Think of how this game is going to end. We're going to have to PLAY that. That's actually kind of ballsy Nintendo. First that thing in Origami King and now this.

• I'm actually very hyped for this, it's going to be such a fun couch co-op game!

I didn't play the first Hyrule Warriors but this being tied to Breath of the Wild is enough to sell me on it. I have more attachment to this cast than the characters of all other Zelda games combined.

Also, "Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity" is a badass title. That plus the key art gives off a dark, mature vibe and I'm all for it!

• @axel unlike the OG Hyrule Warriors being a spin off story the story of this is an actual prequel story to BOTW's and is cannon

you aleady know this will have a sad ending because this is set when Zelda and Link failed to protect hyrule from calamity ganon before link went to sleep in the chamber and before he became the hero or hyrule when he was just a mere knight.

• @yoshi Yeah and I love that about it!

• @mbun
    Like just imagine you play out the original ending, credits are rolling "Hey you unlocked The end of calamity " where now Link, Zelda, The Four Guardians, Gandalf the gray, and Gandalf the white
    And Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight
    And Benito Mussolini, and the Blue Meanie
    And Cowboy Curtis, and Jambi The Genie
    Robocop, The Terminator, Captain Kirk, and Darth Vader
    Lo-pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger
    Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan
    Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan all kick Gannon's ass instead, maybe showing us a glimpse of Hyrule 100 years later but with no Calamity.

• @dmcmaster

Samurai Jack too.

• Story trailer from Tokyo Game Show:

Youtube Video

• I don't want to take a wiz on the hype as it were but I get the feeling this stuff about Age of Calamity being a prequel to Breath of the Wild is merely a way to gain more interest in the game-I fear that beneath the surface it'll be the same old DW-aping divisive experience that the first game was.

• @jdincinerator I mean, they've already shown the first Mission as well as bits and pieces in trailers like recruiting the Champions, and the end of the first trailer was clearly "the end" of the 100 year ago story, so no it seems like it is going to pretty heavily go through the story from 100 years ago. But yes, it is Musou gameplay, and it was never advertised as otherwise.

Just the footage we saw today was clearly above and beyond the original Hyrule Warriors. Enemies and Allies are less lifeless with way better Animations and AI. There's Destructible Environment stuff like chopping down trees in BotW, but it even goes further beyond that with destroying enemy structures. There's already hints of a Cooking System in this, although you probably do that between Battles. The maps aren't 1:1 the Hyrule from Breath of the Wild, but it is close enough that when you're fighting in these maps, you recognize locations from that game, except you're 100 years ago when everything isn't destroyed yet, which is neat to see. But yes, it is Musou gameplay, and it was never advertised as otherwise.

• Apparently a 8th character is getting shown sometime today, who wants to bet it's some variation on Cia?

• @dmcmaster Hoping that wasn't a translation mistake, because they showed off Daruk today as well as Link but with a Spear. Now I wonder if giving Link unique movesets for each weapon from BotW is how they're going to fill out "the cast" now. They showed off the volcano area and Goron town though, and I continue to be impressed how they're adapting the world of BotW into these linear Musou maps.

• Thought this was interesting.

• @mbun
    Well that kinda sucks, although if they balance it out by giving each character multiple weapon styles that might lessen the sting a bit.

• @dmcmaster Mind you, that's still speculation on my part. They haven't said that. There's hints the King of Hyrule might be playable, which is what I want.

• @mbun
    I have a feeling the king will be playable too, mostly because the idea of a scene with the King armored up and making one last stand against Gannon while Link an Zelda flee the castle seems too cool not to have.

• New trailer just hit.
    Youtube Video

• Youtube Video

The game keeps looking better and better, it's exactly what I crave these days: a fun, "basic" hack-and-slash in the amazing world of Breath of the Wild, I can't wait for it.

Considering that I probably won't manage to get a PS5 this year, it could very well be my game of the holidays (although I won't really be getting any holidays...)