Riders Republic (PC/PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series X/Stadia)

• This is a multiplayer outdoor sports game from the developers of Steep (Ubisoft Annecy, with support from other Ubisoft studios). While I'm not really into the wacky tone of the game, I'm just so ready to play more extreme sports games, and this really piqued my interest, especially with the massive multiplayer aspect of it. It's current release date is February 25th 2021.

Youtube Video

Some extra details from the official website:

• Riders Republic will display more than 50 players on next generation consoles & PC, and more than 20 players on current generation consoles. The next gen consoles also features 60 FPS.
    • The most fun game mode for me is the Mass Start, which is basically 50+ player races. There's also team PvP modes, competitive races and trick challenges.
    • Development started 3 years ago, looks like this has been cooking for a while now.

• Steep: Second Chance

• I thought this looked pretty fun. I got Steep when it came out though and it just wasn't able to really hold my interest. This seems better but I might take a wait and see approach.

• Steep was at its most fun when you were in a group trying to tackle a really hard challenge, so creating a game that is focused on that concept is a great move.

As a skydiver in real life, I can’t resist a game that lets me wing suit around real life mountains and forests. Day one buy for me.

• Oh man this is right up my alley but I CANNOT get on board with this ridiculous attempt at being edgy or whatever the heck they’re going for.

There are ways of doing “cheesy-cool” and this isn’t it. Ubisoft needs to hire better character designers or art directors. I don’t know why they continually go for this edgy stuff.

• @dipset I think the answer to this is simple: it's to be able to sell cosmetics. They have the same style in Roller Champions too.

The more serious or specific your art style, the more limited you are when creating cosmetics because some just won't fit the theme. If your theme is goofy/cartoony a la Fortnite/Fall Guys, then anything goes, nothing is off-brand, the possibilities are endless.

But I do agree with you, I'm not a fan of this non-style.

• Okay so it's literally just a Steep with bikes and a wackier tone.
    I'm actually kinda down with that.

• @dipset

Design choices are the opposite of edgy.

• @Scotty

Maybe not "edgy" but whatever the hell this is supposed to be...

0_1599830062561_b5e8bdb3-f511-4a01-a936-ef2438ee817a-image.png

@Axel

And that explanation is why I shouldn't discredit people's talent. I know they're working with the perimeters they've been given. But damn these Riders look so much less cool than SSX boarders or like... Chad Muska.

• @dipset I think comparing them to SSX riders, who were each designed with their own visual aesthetic, isnt a fair comparison.
    I know whenever I play games like this I just put on whatever the most ridiculous shit in my inventory is. I'll probably end up looking exactly like dude you posted.

Speaking of edgy and SSX...
    0_1599842721802_Psymon.png

• @el-shmiablo

But that's cooooooooooooooooooooool

lol

• Seemed really high budget. Remember seeing a Twitch comment fly by saying like multiple studios were involved in this, but I haven't fact checked that. Don't think calling it just Steep 2.0 is fair.

• @mbun I mean it's literally reusing assets from Steep.