Final Fantasy XVI

• Graphic wise it looks inferior comparing to what I would expect from a main FF title.

• @scotty

To a degree it looks a bit worse than FF7R, especially some in-game animation, but I’m pretty sure it’s just early. I think it’ll get finessed.

• Would it be a disservice to say that the main character, Joshua looks eerily similar to the character showcased in the Final Fantasy Shadowbringers and other trailers? Or is it just me?

1_1600363274327_ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi-710x398.jpg 0_1600363274314_maxresdefault.jpg

• Surprise it's a new game set in the same world as 14

• "Additionally, Square Enix recently hired Ryota Suzuki as a "battle director" and he is rumored to be working on FF16. Suzuki was designer of Devil May Cry 5 and Dragon's Dogma, which is a solid pedigree." - PCGamer.com

• Ok if 16 has combat similar to DMC5 or Dogma, I'm sold on that alone, especially if magic is done as spectacularly as Dogma

• Global Moderator

I hope this scratches my FF9 itch. It going back to fantasy has me really hyped. Don't get me wrong, I love the steampunk-y style as well, but I just miss a fantasy base main title, its been too long.

• An informative thread about the people working on FFXVI (click the tweet to see the full thread)

• @dmcmaster Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 14 borrow heavily from 3's mythology/world at some point? I'm not an MMO guy so I never played, but I love 3 and remember hearing a sick rendition of its main theme in some of the marketing material for 14 (which also always has insane trailers).

• Global Moderator

@naltmank FF14 generally borrows from multiple FF games and incorporates major references to those previous games by twisting the material to fit FF14.

The FF3 reference comes about with the fact that there's a crystal tower raid, and you fight Xande and the cloud of darkness, the big bads of FF3.

They definitely name drop or incorporate lots of classic bosses throughout FF14 in general, but FF3 did receive a bit more attention than others.

• Might be the first M rated Final Fantasy

• A little unofficial(?) update on the development progress.

• I'm definitely not in the camp of people who think FFXVI even looked poor. FFVII Remake had like some of the best graphics ever produced on consoles with steamless cutscene to gamplay integration. Obviously if a sequel looks "worse" then its a bit jarring, but I'd rather just get more high quality FF games than spend years optimizing so it the game actually runs the insanely good graphics.

Plus we live in a world where Infinity Ward puts out a cutting edge game (i.e. COD 4 Modern Warfare) then Activision follows it up with a sequel that has significantly worse performance, graphics, and animation in almost every way (COD World At War), and nobody seemed to notice or care. Treyarch games to this day still look worse than their counterparts and people don't notice or complain.