Best Endings

• As much as we all love games, I'm sure we can all agree there's a severe lack of great endings even if the game is high quality. Granted, the point is usually the journey and not the destination, but let's dive into memorable endings. Since this is obviously going to be full of spoilers, post the name of the game first and the description of why you like it underneath in a spoiler tag.

For me, I've got two to mention, so hang tight.

The Last of Us

Whoo, boy! This is an interesting case because I find the beginning and end of the game to be extremely compelling, while the middle kind of drags. But hey, we're talking about endings here! Having Joel potentially doom all of humanity because he can't lose someone else in his life would make for a good ending but what really drives home everything is the conversation he has with her afterwards; looking her directly in her eyes and lying to her. I've never understood a character's motives so well while also wanting to punch them in the face. Honestly, I can't think of a more perfect way to end this game.

Bioshock Infinite

I know this is one the Allies seem to detest, but it was a truly heartbreaking ending for me. Walking through all of those lighthouses under the stars as your daughter tells you those aren't stars, those are other dimensions. Slowly coming to the realization that only one event can fix everything - your death. It's not an act of committing suicide, it's going back in time and having every single instance of your daughter from the multiverse end your life. There's plot holes a plenty in Infinite but if you just sit back and enjoy the ride, you get an extremely emotional experience out of it. I'll admit, I cried. There. I said it.

Apparently, a good ending for me is one that brings out my emotions. So what about for everyone else? What ranks as one of the best endings for you?

• I agree with the Last of Us completely and while I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, the ending was a bit, not necessarily good or bad, but left me in a state of.... uhhh... ooooookay?

For me, here are my picks for endings that are "Best" for me:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

The entire game was an homage to the series as a whole, but the entirety of Chapter 4 epitomized this. The feeling of nostalgia and appreciation for the franchise really hit home when playing as Cassie and when the photo was set down... That emotion of knowing that the book had been closed was one of deep satisfaction and sadness.

Resistance 2

While this was my least liked game in the series (not counting Burning Skies) the ending was one where it left me stunned. With Nathan Hale shot in the head cutting to a hard black, I don't believe I saw an ending and immediately thought, "Oh you KNOW they have to be working on a third." I can understand it being divisive, but I loved the IP and I loved the ending because I was convinced, and proven right, that I was getting another Resistance.

God of War 1 and 2

I feel the first game had a great ending where you have killed the titular Ares, but now instead of saying, "What the HELL?!" as soon as you select New Game, you have that context of why Kratos casts himself off the cliff. For the Sequel, to pummel Zeus into submission but find out he is your father, it lays the foundation of what could be an epic conclusion to the story. It's just that, IMO, 1 and 2 are a LOT better than 3. The PSP titles are really good too, better than Ascension and even 3, but not as good as the first two main titles.

As posted, these are endings that stuck to me in a positive way, not the full games. With the exceptions of The Last of Us and Uncharted 4, I have many games I like more than Resistance and God of War. Final Fantasies VII, X, XII, DOOM, Kingdom Hearts and KH II, Ratchet and Clank and Mass Effect to just name a few.

Let's just not try to start anything about the latter's final ending (as of now).

• @Brannox I feel like the ending of Mass Effect 3 was such a letdown even people who hadn't touched the series at the time (myself included) could feel the disappointment manifest and destroy its fans. It's a real shame considering how loved the series is. I'm definitely going to have to open up a Worst Endings thread in a few days.

• Banned

Telltales The Walking Dead S1

Do I even have to say anything? After spending several hours getting to know what a great guy Lee is, he has to die after doing his last heroic deed. The game had several sad moments but Lee's death was by far the saddest, I almost felt like giving the game a standing ovation when the credits started rolling. Still miss Lee til this day.

• This ending:
    Youtube Video

Serious answer would be the True Ending of Odin Sphere, and how the five stories culminated in the end and bridged a connection to the world of Odin Sphere to the present World. Gwendolyn and Oswald being the "Adam and Eve" of Earth is really cool, and how their romance started as enemies, but understanding each other and fighting for each other through difficult circumstances.

• The Last of Us drags in the middle? Nononono, that game has perfect pacing. Just the right amount of combat for me. It's weird though: the ending is certainly a climax, but I have trouble setting it apart from the rest of the game. Every character relates to the central plot and all of the writing was equally excellent. Even the puns. EsPeCiAlLy ThE pUnS.

alt text

Anyway, now for a bit of a departure: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. This game had a pretty solid story despite its many detractors who either hadn't played it or played it expecting a straight sequel to Symphonia. Taken as new characters who were inserted into the Symphonia setting, the entire plot works in a campy sort of way.

The ending in particular is dramatic because immediately prior to it, protagonists Emil and Marta fight (and kill) Alice and Decus. Now, as romantically involved characters themselves, seeing this Romeo and Juliet story play out in front of them—by their own hands no less—raises the stakes for the finale. And it's not all just bluster either: you can actually really fuck up the ending. It's hard (and admittedly some really arbitrary "I'd only know that after looking up a guide for the second playthrough" nonsense) to get the good ending.

Not to mention, "Welcome to the Monster Graveyard" is just a hype thing to say.

• @Haru17 Like our good friend Ian Hinck, I just wasn't impressed with a lot of the combat and such. Then again, it's a genre that I don't play very often. Not my cup of tea I suppose.

• Global Moderator

It's interesting that some of my favourite games of all time also happen to have fantastic endings. I think generally you'll find a game just ends, not many are actually that memorable. Anyway, I'm going to be relatively vague in my spoilers too.

• MGS3: Snake Eater

Those final scenes, going to the cemetery and Eva narrating in the background. Really love it.

• Shadow of the Colossus

The way this story concludes is so beautiful. The transformation of the main character, the interactivity, it's not just a cutscene and the links to Ico.

• Journey

Like the whole game, I hope someone else is playing with you. That climb up the snowy mountain and everything after is just incredible. That soundtrack.. so good.

• SOMA

I love the ending to this game. You get hints of how it will end as you play through but man, it still hit me hard when it happened. In terms of pure solid sci fi, I don't think there is a better sci fi game story out there.

• @SabotageTheTruth I really got into a groove with the stealth-scrounging gameplay (which, importantly, I didn't think there was too much of). And, I don't mean to continually argue with you, but I'd like to respond to that other guy in the "Witcher 3 is terrible" thread about Bioshock's ending.

I thought Infinite was a fine game generally, I just always thought the ending was kind of reaching. The whole >! Booker is Comstock thing made sense, but then they tried to pull the "he's still doing evil stuff in other dimensions" thing via tell don't show. Then, they tried to say that, by killing this one Booker from far after his baptism and thus choice at Wounded Knee, you would in effect be killing all of the Bookers and Comstocks in all of the infinite realities, and I checked out (admittedly, the credits rolled immediately after, so I suppose some kudos are due for ending on a bang).

And if the ending killed it (him), then the DLC absolutely murdered that game's story for me. At the end of the first part Booker / Comstock 1, still exists, and 2, dies (?). And then Elizabeth is suddenly there, who also dies to set up the first game, which had no relevance to the plot of Infinite. Like, come on. That's just bad writing and navel-gazing. Especially since none of this makes any sense in the context of the original ending's logic.

• @Haru17 Nah, I don't view it as arguing, you're free to make your points. I've never played the DLC for Infinite (will do so when the Collection releases) so I couldn't speak on that part but...

You weren't just killing the Booker you were playing as. They were using the tears in reality to essentially time travel, you were going to the point where the baptism decision was made. Multi-verse theory shows us that for every potential decision that is made, a separate reality is created. So if you stop the decision from ever being made, you stop any further realities from existing. I thought they did an admirable job expressing a pretty heady idea, but I could definitely see why someone wouldn't enjoy it. I'm also the type of person that really enjoyed the movie, "What the Bleep do we Know?" so that would explain my interest, even if it's quantum-mechanics lite basically.

Kinda strange how the first Bioshock is now just mostly regarded for its twist. I admit, it blew me out of the water when I first played it but now that I've digested it for years and years, it's lost a lot of impact. And that last boss? Whew, that game fell apart at the end.

• @tokeeffe9 I'm bummed I forgot about SOMA, that was up there was one of my favorites last year. Agreed, absolutely perfect ending there. I actually stayed up until 6 am in the morning playing that with a friend. We were so invested and just needed to see how it ended. We sat there in silence, watching the credits. Then it was her slowly saying, "I need to go home and think about things," that made me appreciate the game even more.

• @SabotageTheTruth I just don't get why,

if we're playing as present-day, our-universe Booker, and literally seeing through his eyes in first person, drowning him would at all affect the other Comstocks and Elizabeths.

• @Haru17

I think it's meant to represent just the one pre-decision Booker, but you're right, it is a bit if disconnect. I honestly don't know how else they would represent that idea though. That's probably why things like the nosebleeds were stuffed in there, to show that both the player and Booker are unaware of when you've been swapped into another reality.

Suspension of disbelief as well. Lots of things have plot holes in 'em if you look hard enough. I'm willing to look past Infinite's holes, you're not.

That sounded mildly dirty.

• @Brannox said in Best Endings:

I agree with the Last of Us completely and while I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, the ending was a bit, not necessarily good or bad, but left me in a state of.... uhhh... ooooookay?

For me, here are my picks for endings that are "Best" for me:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

The entire game was an homage to the series as a whole, but the entirety of Chapter 4 epitomized this. The feeling of nostalgia and appreciation for the franchise really hit home when playing as Cassie and when the photo was set down... That emotion of knowing that the book had been closed was one of deep satisfaction and sadness.

Yes, yes, yes! And to add

Spoiler People seem to lack any sort of ability to think critically towards what purposes characters serve within a plot, (another reason why Shakespeare should probably continue to be studied in high schools, but nevertheless) and for that reason I detest the often overwhelming animosity placed towards Nathan and Elena's child in the epilogue of this game.

Spoiler I assume their actual disdain towards her is more telling of their own likely anti-social feelings towards children as opposed to what Naughty Dog actually did with her. She is barely characterized nor does she exist in the story long enough to provide enough grounds for dislike. She was a wonderful inclusion to the game because she as a character served as a tool for the player - especially long time fans who played Uncharted back in 2007 - to reminisce one final time on the 10 years we spent with the series. We aren't learning any profound information about this little girl. In fact, we learn very little about her - what she is, is what we put into her.

Spoiler I spent almost 40 minutes just walking around the house and playing with the artifacts that I collected in Drake's Fortune, in my old room, in 2007, in middle school (I'm currently 21 finishing university). This epilogue is a walk through memory lane. Nothing made me feel more nostalgic than finishing the game playing Crash Bandicoot IN Uncharted 4 but then that was topped as the game fades out on the photo of Nate, Elena, and Scully on the Jeep from the first game.

Spoiler Where does the time go? Great ending (And that is without even mentioning a sword fight climax).

• Final Fantasy Tactics:

After your group defeats ultima there believed dead by everyone they may actually be dead its not stated either way. the game then switches to delita now king of ivalice hes brought some flowers home to his wife who upon seeing him stabs him in a rage he kills her. then he falls to his knees looks up the the sjy and says "Ramza what did you get in all this "Ramza was the player character who saved the world but will be forgotten amung history while delita will be celebrated for centuries as a great hero .

the ending always stuck with me and i consider it the best ending in the series as a whole

• @SabotageTheTruth, I as well did not get into the trilogy until after it had been out a while and maybe the following statement is more suited for your Worst Endings thread, but...... ME 3 ending was FINE FOR ME. Sure it was somewhat anticlimactic and it isn't a great ending, but I didn't have, nor do I have, the vitriol that is EVERYWHERE. FYI, Middle option is best option. Just gonna throw that out there.

@GoTaco I would like to echo your message: Yes, yes, yes and with my own HELL YES attributed to it. And not to cross post topics: UC 4: GOTY so far (for me).

• Global Moderator

Make sure to spoiler when it's needed guys. I've updated a post to include it correctly.
    To use spoilers, start a new paragraph, click on the eye icon and replace the word 'spoiler' with whatever it is you're spoiling.

You have to start on a new paragraph, otherwise it won't hide the text.

E.g. - I've put in the single quotes to show what it looks like. If I remove the quotes, it will hide the text.
    '>! This is a spoiler'

• @FF7Cloud One of the best games of all time, hands down.

• Uncharted 4's ending is probably the best I've seen recently. I think its a perfect send off for the series, even though I was pretty sad to see it end for good.

Totally agree with TLOU also.. though I think Shadow of the Colossus might be my favorite of all time.

I also really love most of the Zelda endings, though Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess might be my favorites of the series

• @Faaip No doubt!

Twilight Princess had an amazing sequence of boss fights and cutscenes, ending on the perfect bittersweet note of Midna running up the stairs to the portal as the music swells.

Majora's Mask had a great ending as well. It contextualizes the usual, garish "rainbow element puzzle rush" of Ganon's Tower into one suitably trippy locale. It was really cool to have the tension of the final six hours fade into an uneasy peace: just great pacing work. Plus, nothing (outside of an anime) had looked like this before:

alt text