One game from this generation

• Say, hypothetically, you knew someone who missed this entire last generation of games. Now, with new consoles on the horizon, he's finally ready to take the plunge... by buying his friend's old PS4 for an extremely low price to tide him over until he has enough money and time to invest in a next gen console halfway through next year. He's asking you for one game - any game - from this generation that shouldn't be missed. What game do you tell him?

(Also this person is me. Outside of my Switch I've only personally played FFXV and some Dragon Age: Inquisition on the PS4. Watched plenty more, either at a friend's or via streaming, but those are literally the only two games I have played personally for more than 15 minutes).

• NieR: Automata

I actually don't think I would generally recommend this game as it's definitely not something everyone would enjoy, but I'd feel bad not mentioning it.

• Sorry but I can't recommend just one.
    Play Bloodborne and God of War.

• @el-shmiablo God of War is included in my "bundle" babyyyyyyyyyyy.

And @DemonPirate good call on Nier. Forgot about it.

• I'd probably say Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice normally, but seeing the example two games you have played, I'll instead say Dragon Quest XI S when it comes out or Persona 5 Royal. I could easily cosign what DemonPirate said too though.

• I would say A Plague Tale: Innocence but after replaying it I'm less enthused. Probably What Remains of Edith Finch unless you mean big multi-hour games-then it's The Witcher III: Wild Hunt.

• Rocket League.

Clean, well-balanced fun.

• @oscillator The thing with Rocket League is it is going free to play soon isn't it?

• My personal picks would probably be Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV as a JRPG fan, but I think Witcher 3 should definitely be mentioned too.

Is it cheating to say PT?

• Marvel's Spider-Man. It's worth it just to try the swinging mechanics tbh. Either that or Ghost of Tsushima, depends on which setting you're more interested in.

• @mbun said in One game from this generation:

@oscillator The thing with Rocket League is it is going free to play soon isn't it?

Yep. There won't be artificial limitations on the core game. The purchaseables are optional challenges to earn cosmetics.

• @oscillator Sure, I just mean they don't need to purchase the game. It'll soon be a bonus they can simply download additionally.

• @mbun said in One game from this generation:

@oscillator Sure, I just mean they don't need to purchase the game. It'll soon be a bonus they can simply download additionally.

Sure. Easier to justify getting it now. :)

• There are two obvious options for me, Persona 5 Royal or Witcher 3, both are top of the class in their respective genres and they are the two best games this gen easily for me.

Or let Trails into your life and go get Sky for PC and get ready for about 500h of gametime, including two of the best jrpgs ever.

• @bard91 I agree with the first two, but Trails in the Sky SC technically came out in 2006, so I wouldn't really count it for this generation. You should hypothetically tell them to download it regardless though.

• If you want something long to play, I'd go with games that can be endless (if you let them be).

• Rocket League
    • The Witcher III
    • Bloodborne
    • THPS 1&2

My rationale is that any one of these games can have an endless investment.

Rocket League has a single player to warm you up. Split screen for couch co-op. Bots with a TON of modifiers for more solo fun and practice. Multiplayer for good competitive fun. And ranked for serious play. You can always hone your skills.

The Witcher III because doing everything is valuable and it will take you quite literally hundreds of hours. You won't say at around 50-60 hours that the other stuff won't be worth your while. It's all good.

Bloodborne because there is A LOT to explore, and there is incentive to play repeatedly because you can have massively differing character builds. Chalice Dungeons are infinite and PvP play / PvP builds is a well that won't dry up.

THPS for the same reasons as Rocket League. There is a single player to warm you up. Then couch co-op for some innocent old fun. Free skate to practice. Hundreds of challenges. Multiplayer to get competitive. You can hone your skills and always improve. FYI, I'm a THPS vet and I feel like I'm relearning a lot of technique and I've played this for like 30 hours already.

• Thanks for humoring me guys. For the record, I plan on playing the vast majority of these games (+ more) at some point in time. Bloodborne I think I'm holding off on til I eventually get a PS5/that playstation+ thingy since I can just about guarantee that I won't be able to finish it (I am very bad at games), but it's also one that I've been curious about for a long time for obvious reasons. I just think it's a fun thought exercise to think, like, what is the ONE game that you would want someone to play. Do you go with something that is generation-defining or more down to personal taste? Either way I know I got several hundred hours worth of stuff to get through over the next few months, so I'm feeling pretty good.

• The Last of Us Remastered-The Last of Us Part II combo of course. If we can add more Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy etc. Most of the PS exclusives.

@naltmank said in One game from this generation:

I think I'm holding off on til I eventually get a PS5/that playstation+ thingy