31-Day Game Challenge

• Day 14 - Boss Battle

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Kyle Bosman may hate it but to me Conker's Bad Fur Day is one of the funniest games I've played. Yes it's crass and it's crude but it's hilarious. There are a good number of memorable bosses but here are two of my favourites-The Great Mighty Poo and The Bourgois Big Bollocked Boiler.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Day 15 - Metroid-Vania

Hollow Knight

There may be other games of this style I wanted to put here and want to save for later, but Hollow Knight is an outstanding achievement in design and world-building. Admittedly, I didn't play it until later. Not because I didn't know about it, I followed Team Cherry from the beginning, but I just don't like to play games on my computer. So even though it looked good, it was a wait until that Switch port came out that made it an instant buy.

There are so many small, subtle things that Hollow Knight does to immerse you in the world and help you to explore in ways that I don't feel have been as effectively done as the genre's namesake. Needing to follow the map without a waypoint or pointer of where you're actually located means you need to learn the world yourself before you can quickly get around for example. The world is also riddled with personality, from the way every character speaks in the bug language, to hearing the map-maker's hum walking around and feeling a sense of comfort in someone you know in a mysterious place.

I also love that the game doesn't design around a typical lock and key system that has become synonymous with the other games that belong in this genre. Abilities aren't necessarily just used to access new areas, but are entire portions of how you use your move set. And you can expand those moves with pins that lets you play how you're comfortable for different scenarios.

What an awesome, deep game to get lost in. And we still have Silksong on the way.

Youtube Video

• Day 15 - Metroidvania
    Control

Does this count as MV? It's pretty much plays like the 3D MV game I always wanted, with satisfying combat and great level design (lots of hidden secrets!) to make it a fun journey throughout, and with the bonus of having a really cool setting (The Oldest House is one of my favorite places in recent gaming history) and a ton of great lore to back the world up. I already gushed about this game a lot in this forum, so I don't really have to say much this time.

Youtube Video

• @bam541 I count it, though I haven't finished it yet. Great pick!

• Day 16 - 16-Bit Game

Donkey Kong Country

0_1602874805089_25304-donkey-kong-country-snes-front-cover.jpg

While there are three outstanding platformers under the Donkey Kong lineage on the Super Nintendo, my favorite has always been the first of the three. Simple story of getting your bananas back, a kick-ass soundtrack that has a full David Wise range and perfect platforming through a great variety of stages makes this easy to break out frequently for a full playthrough.

When this game came out, there was so much hype for those graphics and the next-generation of Donkey Kong and platforming, and I' days Donkey Kong hasn't really disappointed much since then.

Youtube Video

This video is also pretty fascinating:
    Youtube Video

• Day 16 - 16-Bit Game
    Super Mario World

My experience with 16 bit games are very lacking, so I'm gonna choose SMW because I can't help but laugh everytime I remember that one time Kyle delivered his hot take of the first level of the game being a bad one to the allies. Also, like other Mario games, the speedruns of this game are pretty awesome.

Youtube Video – [1:19:15..]

Youtube Video

• Day 17 - Game That You Never Get Tired Of

Resident Evil 4

This was my very first Resident Evil game. I'd tried to pick up Remake and the original 2 on PS1 prior, but this was where things clicked for me. Resident Evil 4 is the perfect balance of difficulty, spookiness and camp in an easy to pick up package. I stand by the aiming system, even though it seems that in more recent years it's been dumped on a little bit because you can't move while you shoot, and can feel a little clunky. My brothers and I had my niece try it out and it was saddening to see that she couldn't get past just making fun of how you aim and move compared to more modern games. To me, it adds just the right about of tension because you have to put yourself at risk in order to shoot, and when you have guys coming from all directions, you need to make moves carefully.

Besides the awesome atmosphere, Resident Evil 4 is just infinitely replayable. It almost begs you to keep coming back, giving you new chapters, weapons and mods to just go through again and again and try different strategies. There's a perfect amount of tension and pace. If you haven't played RE4 in a while, now is the perfect time to give it a quick run.

Also this guy still creeps me the hell out.

Youtube Video

• I haven't beeing paying attention to this one, but this game although pretty new, will not get the recognition it deserves.

Youtube Video

• Day 17 - Game That You Never Get Tired Of

Lumines: Electronic Symphony/Rock Band: Unplugged

This one shouldn't count because I don't currently have a Vita and I don't really believe there is a game we never get tired of because we all need a break. Yet two portable games that are most unlikely to wane on me are Lumines: Electronic Symphony and Rock Band Unplugged-the former on the Vita and the latter on PSP. Lumines: Electronic Symphony is a delightful audio/visual treat that fires on all cylinders and is addictive as heck with an outstanding soundtrack of brilliant tunes. Electronic Symphony introduced me to Gouryella-the ultimate trance song and is utterly enthralling and all-encompassing everytime I hear it. Rock Band: Unplugged meanwhile takes Rock Band, disposes of the plastic instruments and serves up a very addictive Frequency/Amplitude-like experience where you're hitting notes on highways trying to maintain the rhythm of each instrument-it can get super challenging and the soundtrack is as eclectic and diverse as the mainline games. Both of these portable rhythm/action games are as perfect as you can get if you like to travel and play games portably whilst doing so.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• @bard91 I'm definitely going to be giving this one a go, but other games were already in my cart when it came out, so it was just poor timing. I think it'll definitely have a sort of snowball effect of recognition as years go by and it spreads more by word of mouth.

• @bard91 Aging Rim might get its recognition one day.

• Day 17 - Game you never get tired of
    Gran Turismo Sport

It's pretty much the only PS4 game I have that I never uninstalled. I used to focus on the multiplayer (it's so intense, I really like how serious it feels) before the singleplayer mode update came along. Nowadays I just play a couple races to complete the daily workout, save up some cash for cool cars, and take pictures in Scapes everytime I feel like it. I haven't touched it in a while because I'm busy with other games, but I know this game is always available for me if the racing itch gets back at me.

Also, I would like to share the old opening intro they have, it's so uplifting and celebratory.
    Youtube Video

• Day 18 - Game Over Screen

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Youtube Video

Of all the game over screens I can think of, I can't think of many that brought frustration at the time, but now I look back on fondly. It's just sort of fun looking back and remembering the sounds that came from Metal Gear Solid, and it's impossible to think of those PS1 sounds without hearing in the back of your head "Snake, what happened...? SNAKE!!? SNAAAAAKE!" from different character's voices. Even more fun is how it continued with each sequel to the franchise. The first Metal Gear Solid is still my favorite for how serious and over the top it is, but also that sound that plays when the letters are coming in.

• Day 18 - Game Over
    Resident Evil 4

I remember being so scared of this game (and pretty much every other horror game) when I was watching my brother play it for the first time back then, and this screen is a big part of that fear. Nowadays the "You Are Dead" font feels just a bit corny, but it used to make me feel so uncomfortable.

Youtube Video

• @bam541 Resi 2's Game Over is iconic but I was more frightened by the zombies themselves and their gurgling groans, especially when those fixed camera angles don't let you see them. Horror at its most truly nightmarish in the nighttime and with fresh pants.

• Day 18 - Game Over

Dead Space 2

A symphony of gruesome deaths are your game over delights in Dead Space 2. Just watch and try not to go queasy:

Youtube Video

• @jdincinerator Always reminds me of the "Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2" advertising campaign. I never knew why it was supposed to intrigue me to like something because someone else didn't like it, and felt like it was really mean to some nice ladies. But I do remember the ads, so I guess they did their job.

But damn, that game has some gory death animations!

• Day 19 - JRPG

Pokemon (Red/Blue)

Because JRPGs are my bread and butter, I was trying to figure out how to put my favorites into different slots on the list. Despite the fact that Pokemon has gone in a direction that I haven't followed in recent years, the original game holds up. It's a unique set of factors with monster collecting that basically becomes you making your own personally catered JRPG party you become attached to, mixed with the traditional going through dungeons, battling bosses and exploring a world. It's a completely unique thing that is still for the most part unmatched today.

I wrote a podcast on it a while back, and it may still be my favorite one I've produced to date if anyone is interested in checking it out.

https://soundcloud.com/user-514517450/happy-gaming-episode-11-pokemon

Also, call me crazy, but I think that with the exception of Gold and Silver, Pokemon has never looked better than gen 1. You just can't beat the GameBoy and GBC graphics and style in my opinion.

1_1603135944721_ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg 0_1603135944721_ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg(1).jpg

• Day 19 - JRPG
    Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Outside of Persona 3-5, I'm not exactly a big fan of JRPGs, specifically the turn based type. I have tried a few games before, and while I do love the crazy and emotional story stuff that can happen in JRPGs, the gameplay always left me wanting something different. After realizing how exciting a turn based JRPGs could really be after playing Persona 5, I have been looking for new games to try, but there hasn't been any that I'm particularly interested in, until DQXI came along. It just seems so inviting, jolly, and beginner friendly (and it is!).

I started my playthrough last year (I pretty much halted my progress for a full year because I really got distracted, only continuing it like a few weeks ago), and I really enjoy the personality of the world and the characters. Everything has this light-hearted and jovial cartoonish feel to it, it's like being in a dramatic play (especially with the voice acting accents). The story starts decently enough, but it quickly took an emotional turn after a certain point early on (it really messed with my feelings, especially with how they executed that moment), and from there I was starting to get invested. I'm not too far into the game right now (I'm right after recruiting Sylvando, currently in the port town), but so far all the characters I met are quite likable, and seeing the story moments unfold is very enjoyable.

While the combat is a bit too easy to my liking (I play on Normal), I still enjoy it quite a bit, especially as I get further along in the game, and get more characters and new skills to play around with. I really like that there's a lot of options that allows me to tailor the combat experience in the way that I want it to be. I also like the Pep Powers system, it encourages switching character combinations for different powers and also patience in waiting for the right pep power to show up. I would love it if they allow changing the difficulty in the middle of the playthrough, but oh well.

It will be a while until I actually finish this game, and I look forward to slowly getting through it while exploring every nook and cranny for cool stuff (the exploration in this game is done so well!) and savoring every second of my playthrough.

• @bam541 I picked it up on PS4 and couldn't do the synth music, so I'm really looking forward to the S version coming soon with the full orchestra and extras. That being said, if you like XI and have a PS2 available, VIII is also just a really pleasant, jolly and lighthearted adventure I'd definitely recommend. It's a bit tougher than what I played of XI, you really need to go out and fight some battles to get some level ups and take care to prepare in towns before you explore, but it isn't so tough as to be deterring either.