My Pitch for a Resident Evil TV Show

• Sup Allies,

With all the new Resident Evil shows and movies coming out soonish I just want to share what I was kinda hoping for in a Resident Evil TV show.

Like many others I feel in love with the series with the very first game and that's mainly what I'd want season 1 of the show to focus on. I'd have the first two episodes focus solely on Bravo Team, getting to know the different members of the team and them getting briefed on the situations leading to them finding the mansion. Then the focus would shift to Alpha team, getting to know them and leaving small cutes to Wesker and the Chief of Police being a bit sus. The rest of the season would basically the first games story with alpha team solving what's been going on.

Season 2 could start with the time between the first and second game, Chris and Jill trying to warn people about what Umbrella's been up to and Chris leaving to investigate Umbrella in Eur. Then the rest of the season would be a mash up of the 2nd and 3rd games, showing how those story lines and timelines line up ending with the bombing of Racoon City.

I'd end the show there. I know one of the new shows is suppose to follow the 1/2 games but I kinda wish it split them up and we really deep dived into the different characters we never really get to know in the games. Still excited to see what they come up with but yeah, thats kinda my dream show for this franchise.

You all have any ideas for tv shows/films adapted from games?

• @themarcv said in My Pitch for a Resident Evil TV Show:

You all have any ideas for tv shows/films adapted from games?

So something interesting that I subconsciously do every time I play a game is I adapt it to TV in my head. It's not even a conscious thing, I just do it. Don't really know why, because I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, long before I was actually trained in TV. I don't just adapt broad stories either, I'll hear a line of dialogue and tweak it in my head to have it better fit in the TV version. Now that I think about it, it's rather weird that I do that, but I don't know that's just how my brain works.

Some games lend themselves to it better than others. For instance, a game like Mass Effect 2 is relatively easy because it's comprised of many bite-sized stories. The only problem with it is giving it a steady throughline so that it doesn't become too episodic, but that can be solved as long as the main plot is sprinkled throughout.

I've been playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and it is proving to be much more difficult. The problem is that much of the game's value is derived from multiple playthroughs, which simply doesn't make sense in a TV format. It's also very hard to give characters meaningful screen-time when there are so many of them. I have a feeling I'm not gonna crack the code on this one, and even if I do I'll likely forget it shortly after beating it.

But yeah, you could ask me about pretty much any game I've played (recently, because it doesn't really stick with me) and I'll have some sort of idea of how it should look as TV. It should rarely be a film though, as there is often just too much to show. A game like Banner Saga could lend itself well to film though.

• @capnbobamous Huh, never heard anyone thinking about that kinda stuff while playing. Do you just think about script/dialogue/narrative aspects or do you also think about casting/framing/editing and the like. Also when you're picturing these are the shows pretty faithful to the games or do you also think about how to adapt it to wider audiences?

• @themarcv I never think about casting, but I think about editing and framing quite a bit. I get some fully formed scenes in my head.

I guess I think about giving it a wider audience than fans of the game, but I think that goes hand-in-hand with the actual content, so it's even less conscious than everything else. They arent blindly faithful, and more often than not big changes need to be made to be palatable.

• @capnbobamous said in My Pitch for a Resident Evil TV Show:

I guess I think about giving it a wider audience than fans of the game, but I think that goes hand-in-hand with the actual content, so it's even less conscious than everything else. They arent blindly faithful, and more often than not big changes need to be made to be palatable.

Guess I need a little bit more context here as I'm not sure I'm following. How I took that is when you think about these scenes you think about how to adjust the narrative to be more approachable to people then just a one for one reshoot of what the game did. If I'm understanding that correctly then do your shows in your head look something more like the new Monster Hunter movie or are they still more based in the original concept of the game. Sorry if I'm off base here, maybe an example would be helpful and interesting.

• @themarcv Oh they're definitely based on the original concept. I think any good game story could be adapted without needing to heavily adjust it. Essentially what my brain does is takes a scene and turns it into TV. Adjustments obviously need to be made, but there never needs to be a change like Monster Hunter.