Favourite Ubisoft Game

• Which Ubisoft game do you think is the best of the bunch? These days it's rather difficult to truly separate Ubisoft games due their open world models being largely the same. In my opinion Rayman: Legends and Watch Dogs 2 are the best Ubisoft games-and perhaps Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag but AC games tend to run together.

• I absolutely adored every second I spent playing AC Origins. I'm about 20 hours into Odyssey right now and still haven't felt that same magic that I did with Origins.

• Rayman: Legends is GOAT material. Superb.

• Probably Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

• Tough to say. Ubisoft has such a colourful body of work but nothing stands out as one of my favourites - within their own catalogue and within the whole of gaming. It's like Ubisoft never really makes classics (for me).

I think I have to go with an simple answer and say Assassin's Creed. It isn't perfect, but playing that game for the first time was magic and the only thing that compares to it for me was playing Oblivion for the first time. That 360 / PS3 magic was captured almost out of the gate with AC1 and it still puts my jaw on the floor. I think it set an extremely high bar for ambitious worlds in games and if it didn't exist, I think the bar would be a lot lower today.

Youtube Video

I mean this still looks incredible from a design perspective. Those rooftops are dense, intricate, and textured.

Have I gone back and played it in years, N O P E. Buuuuuuut, I will never forget playing this for the first time.

• I do really dig a lot of the games Ubisoft put out in the PS1-2 era. The first three Rayman games were super fun, and I even played the Rayman racing game into the ground with a buddy down the street. Sands of Time too is just awesome! I don't love Beyond Good and Evil, but I like a lot of its parts a lot and it still feels so fresh even if it's clunky.

I think I actually sort of fell off the Ubisoft train for no specific reason around the time the first Assassin's Creed came out. Not that it was bad, but I haven't been into a lot of their stuff as of late.

• @dipset
    I'm still amazed at how well they hid all the modern day stuff in assassin's creed 1.

• @dmcmaster

Blew my 13 year old mind. If I recall, it only was spoiled when review copies were in the wild. Then every game publication basically spilled the beans inconsequentially in their video reviews. I was pretty shocked that some video reviews just outright showed the Animus sections.

If I recall the original leak was something like "Assassin's Creed has a sci-fi twist" which is still spoilery but at least they didn't explain it. Then I recall many users on the GT forums fighting between believers of the "sci-fi twist" rumour or not.

In hindsight, it's amazing Ubisoft didn't leak that, but it's also kinda amazing that nobody clued in that all of the animus HUD effects in the gameplay demos from 2006-2007 weren't just arbitrary video effects but actually meant something.

I could be wrong but I swear one gameplay demo said "Synchronizing" and we never knew the wiser.

• Ubisoft has had a lot of good games over the years. Assassin's Creed II, South Park: The Fractured but Whole and Assassin's Creed Odyssey are my top 3. I wasn't a big fan of the first two Watch Dogs games but I'm still interested in playing Watch Dogs Legion.

• It's either Far Cry 2 and Watch Dogs 2 for me. They are easily among my favorite open world games (especially WD2), and FC2's grounded approach to it's gameplay is something that I still appreciate to this day.

• @dipset
    There's a gameplay demo/Q&A they did for AC at one point where someone asked about the Hud and what not and they said it was all placeholder

• Like somebody mentioned, early Assassin's Creed games really hit different the first time I experienced them.
    Having played the Ezio trilogy recently, I'll die on the hill that early AC games were MASSIVELY ahead of their time.

• Assassins Creed Syndicate is probably my favorite AC game. The newer AC games do not have those great cities, at least they feel a lot smaller and the architecture is not that interesting, prefer the modern. The first Watch Dogs has some interesting story or characters, which not a lot Ubi games have.