November Game Challenge

• 0_1604173518777_November-Day-Challenge-Final.png

Just like the previous month, everyday we'll try to think of a new game or game related topic based on the day's idea. I changed the name to the Fall time edition because I realized that Thanksgiving is only celebrated in the US, and we have Fall pretty much anywhere. So let's have some fun this month and have some fun discussions!

See you tomorrow, and Happy Halloween today!

• Day 1 - Weapon of Choice

Agni and Rudra - Devil May Cry 3

alt text

If you liked Zuko's twin swords in Avatar The Last Airbender, then these should be right up your alley. Housing twin mirror god entities or creatures who value strength and each fire and wind. They're pretty nice guys too, they like to be accommodating and chatty, even in sword form, even though it's not Dante's thing. Using the weapons, you can take the swords apart and fight with them in a combo individually, but some attacks put them together to make a sort of double sword staff. There are some pretty cool weapons in Devil May Cry, but this one instantly got my attention when I was playing through it and was a consistent favorite for the playthrough.

Youtube Video

• Day 2 - Game to Chill to

Flower

The motion controls are a little bit clunky to use sometimes and they're not exactly my favorite, but chilling and floating around with no worries or concerns about failure us genuinely relaxing. The soundtrack is incredibly gentle and rocks you into a state of calm and pleasantness that helps ease the day off with the colors and flower petals floating in the breeze.

Youtube Video

• Day 2 - Game to Chill to

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

No game this year can help us chill out and forget about the misery of the Covid pandemic like Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Leisurely fishing and catching bugs are always lovely activities but decorating your home and inviting friends to visit your island really gives you a sense of connection that we need at the moment.

Youtube Video

• Day 3 - Game where you play as an animal or non-human

Tokyo Jungle

Here's a little gem on the PS3 that often goes overlooked. In Tokyo Jungle, humanity has been eradicated, and in the post apocalypse, animals are surviving in the jungled streets of Tokyo. You choose to play as any variety of creatures, from Pomeranians to deer or even lions, and from there you'll need to scavenge for food, establish territories and groups, mate, level up, and see how long you can personally survive. Depending on what type of animal you are, you'll need to survive in different ways. It all makes for something super fresh that is unlike most games I've played.

Youtube Video

• Day 3 - Game where you play as an animal or non-human

Untitled Goose Game

It's no surprise that Untitled Goose Game is simply quackers, but the sense of comedy it has is so darn refreshing and mischievous that I believe that it has been quite a while since I've played a game this comical and chuckle-inducing.

Youtube Video

• With the theme I couldn't help me but think of Space Station Sillicon Valley

Youtube Video

I don't really know if these game is still good, only really played it as child, but I know I enjoyed it a lot at the time.

• @bard91 I always wanted to try this. My buddy and I rented it once but it didn't work when we tried, so we had to get something else. I think it may have been Glover.

• Day 4 - Game you hid from your parents

I don't really have a specific game in mind here. I know that for a lot of games, I would probably just spend the time playing at other friends' houses. My mom was pretty strict on the rating system, so regardless of whether the game actually had anything questionable in it, if it was rated T or M, she was a stickler for shutting it down. I remember I got into big trouble once for just turning on the demo for Metal Gear Solid that was on that Pizza Hut demo disc. My Dad on the other hand thought that games were really cool and was more lenient to evaluate what was actually in the games and talk about them. Because of this, he was typically the one who got me or my siblings games, and if it was actually rated T or M, he had these custom stickers he made at work that was just an E for Everyone label. He'd pull the cover out of the sleeve, plop a sticker on it, slide it back in, and it got past my mom. I wish I still had some of those cases in my collection, I'd love to share a picture.

Games I went over to my friends' houses to play though were things like Halo, where we'd usually just play splitscreen, but my Mom wouldn't have anything to do with it. My siblings and I would play Splatterhouse together after hours or just in secret. When the 360 came out, I remember Dead Rising was one I went over to a friend's house to play.

• Day 4 - Game you hid from your parents

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust
    Ride To Hell: Retribution

I'm going to spin this one a little bit and go for a game I would hide from not just my parents, but to anybody with a working brain and common decency. I do not own this game but I do think if I bought it I and everyone around me would be ashamed of me for owning and even playing it. And this game is none other than Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust. Unfortunately this one came out when I was still in school and of course the world moves on from dreadful games rather rapidly. I know this one shouldn't be worthy of a mention here because I have never played the game, but I definitely would do now just to mess with myself. But to level things out I'll also include Ride To Hell: Retribution because I have played that one and yep it's an embarassment-just imagine your mum walking in as the protagonist dry-humps another damsel in distress.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• @jdincinerator I'd never heard of Ride to Hell, skipped 6 minutes into the video and immediately got the confirmation I needed when it was just a dude grabbing some boob.

• @happygaming Wow you never heard of it? Maybe you were better off that way haha.

• Day 5 - Startups and Traditions

I think my favorite startup of all time has to be the PS1 boot screen. That big booming sound when you press the power button that sounds like you're loading a gun is maybe the most warm and resonating console startup to me, and that pause after the Sony Computer Entertainment logo before Playstation coming up makes me remember all the anxieties of scratched discs, hoping it turns over.

Youtube Video

I also wanted to open it up to intros, sounds, company logos, things like that. More recently I've been super into and appreciative of Sega as a company, and beyond the shouting of "SEGA!" back on that console I remember fondly, I really like the new eye logo that's just the one sound. It's distinct and gives me positive vibes.

Youtube Video

• Day 5 - Startups and Traditions

I can't get enough of the GameCube startup logo or really anything to do with GameCube so really when I hear the startup jingle nostalgic sweetness sets in.

Youtube Video

• I'm going to try to participate on this one.

Day 1 - Weapon of Choice
    Nothing really fancy, quite the opposite really. Any bow in Skyrim. For all its flawed gameplay elements using a bow in that game just feels right and rewarding.

Day 2 - Game to chill to
    No Man's Sky. I mean, the game is a big disappointment on how it fail to great a good Sci-fi narrative but jumping from planet to planet, exploring new worlds and life forms is the ultimate chill experience.

Day 3 - Game where you play as an animal or non-human
    Simple answer, Untitled Goose Game

Day 4 - Game you hid from your parents
    Paradise Cafe was a Portuguese game from the 80s and it was huge among Spectrum owners. Certainly only a local phenomenon, I don't believe many know it outside Portugal. I didn't own it but my my neighbor who was a few years older than me did. This is straight +18, terrible game with lots of nasty stuff going on... definitely problematic by today's standards. Hell, problematic by any standards.
    0_1604657800716_Paradiseputa.jpg

Day 5 - Startups and Traditions
    Definitely the PsOne. Funny thing is that the nostalgic response triggered by it it not game related but rather related to some music albums I was into at the time.

• Also just thought of the old Konami logo from Super Nintendo days. It used to almost creep me out because it was so ambient. It was back in the day when it would come up and you'd pretty much be guaranteed a good time afterwards whether it was Gradius 3, Contra, Castlevania or anything else.

Youtube Video

@Phbz those are the sorts of games I love hearing about that you'd hide from your parents. Coming from the US here, I never had a ZX Spectrum and definitely hadn't heard of Paradise Cafe.

• Found this for the mascot characters discussion today. Turns out I've actually played a lot of these over the years.

alt text

• Day 6 - Lesser Loved Mascot Character

Vexx

Remember Vexx? Probably not. A year before Acclaim went bankrupt, they released this game that's sort of like if you took Mario 64, but injected it with a bunch of emo angst. This was for those kids who grew up playing Crash and Spyro but wanted a little more edge to their characters now. This wasn't one of those baby games! In Vexx you've got big claws, eyeliner, and go through big levels to do different challenges, much like its inspiration. Only here, you're not collecting stars, you're collecting beating black Wraith hearts. In all honesty, the game isn't too bad from what I remember, it's just sort of charmless. The only thing it has going for it is how dark it was trying to make its character with that T-For-Teen rating. Platforming is fun enough, but it needed a little more to get off the ground that it just didn't get.

Youtube Video

• Day 6 - Lesser Loved Mascot Character

I-Ninja

Ok here's another game I didn't own and only played a demo of, but I-Ninja is one of those characters that has easily been lost in time over 16 years after the game came out-and long before sticking an "I" before products became the popular and trendy thing to do. You may think there's nothing special about this character other than he's a cartoon ninja, but he's got skills and run up walls and slash thinks with katana. It's as if Ratchet & Clank abandoned this adorable ninja and left him to have his own adventures.

Youtube Video

• @jdincinerator said in November Game Challenge:

It's as if Ratchet & Clank abandoned this adorable ninja and left him to have his own adventures.

I may have never heard a more accurate descriptor to this game than this. I need a crossover now.