November Game Challenge

• Day 18 - Game character you hate playing as

I'm going to cheat on this one and pick two

Shepard - Mass Effect
    I never got into Mass Effect, and I think it's partially because I was so detached from the character that is Shepard. I know it can be argued that that's mostly my fault because they're a character you're supposed to put your own personality on top of which I'm historically not good at or a fan of and probably why I have a difficult time with Western RPG structure in general. But even when I try to, they feel flat, empty, overly aggressive and like someone I wouldn't want to get to know and hang out with, let alone watch save the galaxy. Maybe the remakes will change my mind.

alt text

And the one I'm sure people will be more upset over

John Marston - Red Dead Redemption
    Similar to Shepard, I think I just don't like how aggressive and detached John feels from everything that's happening around him. I got to Mexico in the game, and up to that point there isn't any part of the story that emphasizes with him being sympathetic or caring outside the beginning chapter at the farm. He's just a dick. To everyone. When Irish is in trouble again he just goes over and roughs him up before fixing his problems. When the dude starts selling snake oil again, John yells at him and calls him a dumb cook, threatens him, and then just goes along with him. There was never a point where I became invested in the character or shifted to the side of empathizing with his situation and wanting to see it through. This is actually a commonality to all of Rockstar's games that I've played, with the exception of Arthur Morgan, who I felt was actually trying to do something redeeming in the end.

alt text

Kamala Khan-Marvel's Avengers

I don't "hate" any game characters but Kamala Khan is such a brown-nosing, corporately constructed and infectiously annoying protagonist and superheroine in Marvel's Avengers-she just doesn't shut her cakehole and is always fascinated like an irritating dorky teenager.

Nathan Drake, hate is a strong word but is one of the few characters that makes me self conscious about while playing it.

• Day 11-Underrated Soundtrack

Hotline Miami/Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

I don't know if this is allowed but I have a couple of other underrated soundtracks in both Hotline Miami Games. I think these soundtracks would coincide well with hallucinatory drugs because the tunes are surreal in these games.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Day 19 - Game based on a TV series

0_1605862951774_stoft_game_page_update_2.jpg

This was very easy, South Park The Stick of Truth. Not only is a solid RPG but also made me laugh out loud several times, which is something games rarely achieve. It was a particularly enjoyable experience for me because it is one of the few titles I played along with my GF and we had such a good time. Such an outrageous game.

• Game Based on a TV Series

Spongebob Squarepants Battle For Bikini Bottom Rehydrated

Perhaps a platformer from a bygone time but this game based on a TV series with a name that's too elongated for me to repeat, this Sponebob opus has quirky and fun platforming and a sense of humour that mirrors the animated show of which it is based. This one makes me want to see more animated videogames based on TV shows or remasters of them-don't know if a remaster of the Family Guy videogame or Back to the Multiverse would be worth it but I'd give them another punt besides thinking they're both awful.

Youtube Video

• Day 20-Favourite Gaming Snacks

Doritos

You just can't go wrong with a bag or multiple bags of Doritos. But damn if only Bugsnax were real snacks.

• Day 19 - Video game based on a television series

The Walking Dead

alt text

I don't care about this show one bit, but I fell in love with the first season of TellTale's The Walking Dead. The moral ambiguity of choices that feel like they have real ramifications was a heavy thing that was a new stepping stone for the company and adventure games in general. Having to make decisions like who gets to eat in episode 2 where you have three pieces of food and five people when everyone will remember how you acted is heavy stuff. Plus putting it all through the parental figure eyes of the protagonist Lee as an abandoned child to the apocalypse, Clemantine, watches you all the time makes everything more weighty and difficult.

But yeah, I couldn't care less about the show.

• Day 20 - Favorite Gaming Snacks

Pizza

I've been trying to eat healthier snacks, so I've mostly switched to carrot sticks or flavored almonds. But come on, pizza is just one of those things that is the perfect thing to eat while you game with buds. Having a slice with a nice strong beer on the side at three in the morning when you're on the last level is the dream.

0_1605900470509_72dpi-Andy_DeGiulio-The_Last_Level.jpg

• Day 20-Favourite Gaming Snacks

Not even joking. Just a cool bottle of mineral water.

• @phbz What's your mineral water of choice?

• @happygaming My absolute favourite is Fastio from the north of Portugal. "It is a hyposaline, silicated water (with very low mineralization), and it exhibits remarkable purity, provided by deep depth aquifers properly adequately protected and, with a specific and stable chemical composition, that defines a unique pattern over time."

I like to try different brands but just love the taste of Fastio.

• Day 21- Closed Studio and a Game From Them

Bizarre Creations-BLUR

Nothing really needs to be added, Bizarre Creations really went out with a bang when it came to both BLUR and 007: Blood Stone that it's such a shame that the studio had produced great work before it folded.

Youtube Video

• Day 21 - Closed Studio and A Game From Them

Silicon Knights - Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

alt text

I'm not proud to say today, but Twin Snakes was actually the first Metal Gear game I ever played. It got me into the franchise that I had missed for a good portion of growing up. After the fact, I got all the games on the PS1 and 2, and when I played the original, everything clicked into place and I was like "oh, this is so much better than Twin Snakes..." The acting is a lot more seriously taken, the gameplay works in a way that isn't in an engine made after the fact that breaks some of the mechanics and there weren't dumb Matrix superpower segments. But as much as it's a flawed game in comparison to its predecessor, I still admire the game in a certain way, if in no other way than it got me into one of my favorite franchises of all time. There's something sort of admirable about trying to take such a revered game in your own direction. It will always, if anything, be its own thing.

Silicon Knights had a few games under their belt, and will probably be most remembered for Eternal Darkness, which I have but keep forgetting I own when Halloween rolls around. But I mean, remember Too Human? That game from 2008 that took ten years to make and was supposed to be the start of a trilogy? Someone should pick that up. Someone should buy up their properties and keep the legacy going.

• 0_1606034109999_Sacrifice_by_Interplay_-_box_art.jpg

Sacrifice is an awesome 3rd person real-time strategy game and you play as a wizard serving one of five factions of gods. You build and control an army of creatures and every faction is different enough to warrant several replays. On the technical side was quite impressive for its time and the soundtrack is pretty awesome. It's a challenging game and mechanically very unique. Special mention for the writing which is consistently good, and funny.

Shiny Entertainment was one of my favourite developers for their unique vision and Sacrifice was their last truly great game. Their catalogue includes titles like Earthworm Jim, MDK, Messiah and of course Sacrifice.

• Day 22-Game You Wish You Could Play For The First Time

Resident Evil 2

I wish I could go back and experience how horrifying Resident Evil 2 was on PS1 because then I could better learn to manage it or have somebody with me when I play so I don't freak out because the zombies in RE2 are expletive terrifying and horrifying. Whether it's from their gurgling noises or the way the fixed camera angles prevent you from seeing the dangers lurking about-RE2 just seems like a game I'd love to play for the first time so I can relive true horror. Here's a scene that encapsulates how much I'd have wet myself as a kid and probably have shivering nightmares:

Youtube Video

• Day 22-Game You Wish You Could Play For The First Time
    Another World

0_1606124380824_another_world.jpg
    I've said it here 1000 times already, that's my favourite game ever. I played many games before but this is the moment when I can pin point exactly when some synapse fired in my brain and I fell in love with gaming. I understood where gaming could take me, what it would inevitable become. So I wish I could relive this again but I had to go back in time too. Obviously current me wouldn't be mindblown if it experienced this game for the first time today, having gaming progressed to much.

• Day 22 - Game you wish you could play for the first time again

Yakuza 0

alt text

I've spent a good portion of the day just stewing on this one with the page open. Most of the games I want to play for the first time again, I'm likely to have my oldest friend play it so I can watch him experience it for the first time. That was the case with most of the games I've introduced him to. However I also am trying to avoid repeat entries, or games that I want to show up for certain spots. A game that my friend has never played, and may never because of the time required and the genre is Yakuza 0 though.

This was my entry into the Yakuza franchise, and I couldn't have been more impressed. I can't exactly remember a lot of the minute points for the game, but I do remember specific details that stuck with me. Most of all, this game has heart. It knows how to pull the serious punches, but also be funny, all at the right times, all playing off perfectly and never in a way that makes me roll my eyes. There were side activities that would make me laugh, and when I got to the conclusion of them, I'd tear up. There's a sincerity here that I adore, and while I liked Kiwami, it didn't strike me the same way as many of the scenes in 0. I can jump back into Kamurocho anytime I want and try the story again, but most of what I've played I'll remember, and most of what I forgot probably won't stick. Plus, with the amount of side activities I've exhausted, I don't know if it will ever be quite the same. But I love it. Wish I could have that first time again.

• Day 23 - Movie that should be a video game

Inception

alt text

I feel like this would be a cool game to take the concept and make its own original idea out of it, rather than just a script rehash. Like, imagine if you sort of took the gameplay of Control but put it more into a sort of Silent Hill feeling adventure where you always have to question what is reality. You can have the crazy physics-bending worlds that shift and contort, but have it centered around characters that are always questioning whether they're in a dream, or if they're accomplishing their goal they set out to do in these heist style scenarios, maybe even make you assemble a team and need to wonder whether you should trust them or not like Mass Effect. Personally, I think a solo-mindbending story would work better than having to converse with a squad, but it could go a lot of different directions with the concepts introduced in the film.

• Day 23 - Movie that should be a video game

The Shape of Water

Surely The Shape of Water has the ingredients to be a great narrative-driven adventure game. A silent and deaf protagonist, an amphibious monster and some good old fashion 1960s Cold War contextualization-makes me believe that it could be a great call back to Bioshock whilst bringing a myriad of fresh and interesting ideas to the videogame medium.