PS3 Games Recommendations

• Hi all! If you have seen my recent posts on the "Last game you finished" thread, you might know that I'm replaying some PS3 games. I still have like 6 games from my old library that I want to replay, but I'm also looking to play some new stuff, so I'm asking y'all for recommendations. I don't really care what the genre is, I'm pretty much open to everything except maybe horror. I already got some games that I'm currently searching for, but I wasn't really into gaming back in the PS3 days, so there's probably a lot of cool lesser known stuff that I missed.

• I was restarting some PS3 stuff this last month until my system broke down. That being said, give Castlevania Lords of Shadow a shot for sure, it gets a bad rep for being a Good of War clone, but once you get past the first couple levels it gets pretty fun and has a nice flavor.

Max Payne 3 is another that time hasn't been as kind to. It's my favorite of the three from what I've played because it just feels so good to shoot, even if the story is less coherent. I just love listening to Max talk while I shoot dudes in bullet time.

Catherine is one of my favorite games ever, and the PS3 version, despite not having the additions of the Full-Body edition feels better and more focused to me. If you haven't picked it up on PS4, you can get the PS3 one for super cheap, and I absolutely recommend it.

Rayman Origins is also sublime platforming. I hundred percented the game, and like it a lot more than Legends. It's unfortunate that it never got ported over to other modern consoles, so PS3 and that gen is the only way to play it.

Sonic Generations and Unleashed are also fun pickups if you dig platforming. I'd probably recommend Generations over Unleashed though because it's more focused on fun levels.

Other than those, just some quick listing;

Tokyo Jungle
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Journey
    The Walking Dead season 1
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    The Batman games
    Uncharted trilogy
    Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (and 4)
    God of War HD (and 3 but I forget if this had Ghost of Sparta)
    Last of Us
    Red Dead Redemption (I hate it but I'm in the minority)

• I'd recommend Skate or Skate 2 (both are awesome and kinda good in their own way).

I mean in Skate 2, I can enjoy jumping off buildings all day let alone the actual skateboarding element of it. Plus it has ELO "Showdown" and Althea & Donna "Top Ranking" in the soundtrack.

Skate Xbox 360 Review - Video Review (HD)
    Youtube Video

Skate 2 - GT Review
    Youtube Video

Midnight Club 3 : DUB Editon GT Review
    Youtube Video

Ok so, I don't own this anymore so I can't say how well it holds up whereas I'm 100% sure Skate 1 and 2 is amazing. Also, I think the PS3 version is called Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix or some mouthful like that. I just love the cars you can play with in this game, the cars have special abilities, and it's all at night time. Manny Fresh "Real Big" is a soundtrack staple and some good Drum n Bass songs too. If I recall the soundtrack is MASSIVE and just makes playing the game really fun in the long term. Rock, Hip Hop, Drum n Bass, Dance, and like full blown soundtrack per genre. Rockstart BIG BUDGET on display.

Katamari Forever
    Youtube Video

I highly recommend this one. It's like a Greatest Hits of Katamari. It takes levels from all the Katamari games before it and adds a few more. Plus it gives it another wonky story. Doesn't re-write the book, but I'll take this version of Katamari Damacy Re-Roll.

I'll try to think of a few more. I played a lot of PS3...

• Without knowing your history with the system, my recommendations are only really games I personally enjoy, and it's likely you've probably tried if not finished most of them. But, just in case you haven't played at least one single game of the following franchises, here are things I greatly enjoy you can play without getting a PS4 port or go to original hardware (PS2, PSP):

Ratchet & Clank series:

• The first three games were ported into a Ratchet and Clank Collection
    • Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time are the main games, but sleep on Quest for Booty, which is digital download only, and Into the Nexus, the last game (conically) before the coming Rift Apart.
    • You can skip out on All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault because they deviate (The former being designed as a 4 player co-op and the latter is tower defense), but I mention them if they interest you.

Resistance series:

• The main three games are on the system, but if you haven't played them and wind up liking them, the handheld games (Retribution on PSP and Burning Skies on Vita) are decent.

God of War:

• Aside the phenomenal reboot on PS4, the whole series eventually was on PS3: God of War Collection is the first two main games, the God of War Origins Collection was the two PSP games ported over, and both God of War III and Ascension were inherent to the platform. Eventually, they put EVERYTHING together called the God of War Saga Collection on two discs.

Mass Effect Trilogy:

• Despite rumors, I devoutly do not believe there are any remasters coming so if you haven't played this, the all-in-one package with all the DLC bundled in is a great value.

The Sly Collection:

• The Sly Coopers are fun stealth games and the Sly Collection are the first three PS2 games ported over. Also, the fourth game, Thieves in Time is inherent on PS3 to begin, but be warned: Thieves in Time requires Sixaxis functionality with no way to remap, so if your PS3 controller has its Sixaxis broken like mine is, it's unplayable, so PSA for ya.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the last one I want to shoutout because I like immersive first person stealth sims, but your mileage may vary.

Again, I'm sure you've tried some of these so no worries if you don't take any of these.

• Yeah to back up @Brannox I don't know what you have and haven't played so that's why I suggested more unlikely games, but if you haven't played Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time, I'd very highly recommend it. Tools of Destruction is basically peak Ratchet & Clank.

• Forgot the Jak and Daxter collection as well. The first one is one of my favorite 3D platformers of the gen. Though once they got more open world and shooter-y I was less invested. I still think the collection is worth it for the first one alone, but you'll likely enjoy the other two regardless, they're just less my style.

• Eternal Sonata is a unique though a bit weebie rpg
    3D Dot Game Heroes is popular but never got me hooked
    X-men Origins Wolverine
    Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
    The Sonic racing games
    Spec Ops the Line
    Driver San Francisco i have but have not played but I have never heard a bad thing about that game

• @HappyGaming I totally forgot about the Sonic Generations and Unleashed! That would be a fun one to try. I remember trying out Lords of Shadow and not liking the first few levels, if I can find a cheap copy of it I'll try it out again.

• @dipset I didn't know the PS3 had a Katamari game, I'll be looking out for that one. I'm looking forward to trying out Skate 1 and 2, only played the third game and I loved it.

• @brannox I played the first two original trilogy R&C games on the HD collection, and I'll definitely check out the Crack in Time trilogy after finishing R&C 3. The recent Mass Effect remaster rumors made me want to wait for that instead.

• @e_zed_eh_intern I forgot about Spec Ops, I have been hearing good things for a while about that game. I have a lot of shooters already though, I'll probably try other stuff for now. Eternal Sonata looks kinda neat.

• Motorstorm 1 is a PS3 must play in my opinion. I went back and beat it around 2017-2018 and I had a blast.

Pacific Rift is probably the best game but Motorstorm was has awesome physics that create unique chance moments.

Plus it’s a time and place in history. It still feels like a next gen showpiece if you look through the 2006 lens.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    Driver San Francisco is absolutely phenomenal and it's a damn shame it died to give us Watch Dogs. Hell I wish Ubisoft would at least do a quick remaster and get it on modern platforms.

Also there is no Midnight Club 3 on PS3, there is Midnight Club Los Angeles though.

Anyway the Yakuza franchise comes to mind, alongside Binary Domain which I thought was pretty unique for a shooter. Also the French robot.

Castlevania Lord's of Shadow I feel like it gets more hate then it deserves, the first game basically updated the classic games (pre Symphony of the Night) to thier closet modern contemporary, while the sequel is a fun, but flawed take on Metroid-vania style that probably should have had some of it's plot elements split into a third entry.

Then there's the 3DS game that got ported to PS3/360 Mirror of Fate that was a Metroid-Vania style game while showing some of the famous events of Castlevania lore in the "Lords" timeline.

• @dipset Yeah, Motorstorm 1 was intense. It was like the first game I got for the PS3 along with Wall-E (don't ask why, lol), and that game blew me away. I haven't found a listing for Pacific Rift yet, so I might jump to Apocalypse first. Probably not anytime soon though.

• @bam541
    Not sure where your located but check your local gamestops, pawn shops, thrift stores and Ma&Pa game shops. Think I found my copy of Pacific Rift at a pawn shop somewhere for like a $1.50.
    Also there is sort of a paid demo for Pacific Rift on PS3, It's a 3D enabled version of it with I think about 10 tracks and at least 2 of every vehicle class, and it's on PSN for $5 I think.

• It's been said above, but the answer for "game of the generation" here is objectively Mass Effect 2. It perfectly encapsulates everything about this era - "choice" driven narrative, cover-based TPS gameplay systems, set-piece game design, "scale up" sequel syndrome - while pushing the industry towards implementing RPG systems in just about every major game that's come out since. It's also just a very, very good video game. Runner-up is the Naughty Dog Trilogy, but all of those are available on the PS4 I think.

I also wanna give a shout out to the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus remaster for reintroducing those games to a wider audience, Ni No Kuni for combining all of my interests into a single video game, Castlevania Lords of Shadow for proving that everyone is too addicted to the past to recognize greatness, and Heavy Rain for making me realize I had terrible taste when I was younger.

But really, if I go by my "one single rec" rule, it's Mass Effect 2.

• @naltmank I already played the SOTC PS4 remake so I'm looking forward to try out the ICO remaster. Ni No Kuni looks cool, but I feel like I should buy the remastered version of it.

• Gotta come in with my non-standard recs, because I don't think anyone else will bring them up.

3D Dot Game Heroes
    Echochrome
    Super Stardust HD
    Split/Second

I really wish the PC version of Split/Second held up. It's on 360 as well, but I played through it on PS3.

3D Dot Game Heroes is just one of my favorite games, ever.

• @sazime I still have my 3D Dot Game Heroes copy from back then. Really excited to try it out again, I never actually finished it.