Favorite Controllers

• I played probably 90% of Hollow Knight when it ce to Switch before putting it down for a bit. Now that it's free on PS+, I just started it over, and it brought to mind the pleasure of playing games on controllers you prefer.

What are some of your favorite controllers?

Personally, I've always really liked the symmetrical Playstation controller over the 360, with the mirrored sticks and buttons, to me, perfect for platformers or first person shooters. The PS4 controller reminds me of the best things I remember about the Super Nintendo controller; symmetry between buttons and controls, and nothing too complicated. What does everyone else like? What are some other favorite controllers?

• I like the chunky feeling of a GameCube controller. I love the GameCube more than any other console which is a strange thing but there's something so infectiously brilliant about it-maybe it's the startup screen and the memories.

• I only like controllers with symmetrical analogs. I just don't play nearly as well when I use asymmetrical ones. It's why I don't use my Switch Lite as much as I want, I'm not completely comfortable with how my hand is positioned with the analogs. DualShock 4 is definitely my favorite so far.

• I also love the Gamecube Controller most of all, but the Wii U Pro and Switch Pro controllers are pretty nice too. I'd probably put Dualshocks about equal with them tho. Yeah, I've never been able to get into Xbox controllers really. Loved the Duke back in the day, but that's about it. SNES Controllers are nice, but I guess I don't hold them in quite as high regard as others. Again, for me, it is the Gamecube Controller, especially the Wavebird. It feels so light and airy (so it stays cool during play) and extremely sturdy sticks and buttons with nice large buttons for the ones you'll be hitting the most.

Shoutout to the Dreamcast Controller though. It isn't very comfortable or all that great in general, but the way the VMU slots into it and interacts with many of the games is pure magic, and I'll always remember it. Oh also, shoutout to the mushy buttons on the PSP. There's something about those I've always loved. Not only are they visually pretty, but it feels like they're less stress inducive on your fingers while playing while still somehow maintaining the responsiveness you need despite the feeling like they're loose and floating. I really would love to see buttons like that come back. Even the Vita didn't have the same deal.

• @jdincinerator love me a GameCube controller but I think it's mainly how the soft triggers feel. I learned to play Smash on a bunch of consoles, but I can't imagine playing certain things without those soft touch shoulder buttons.

• I remember when I played Hollow Knight originally, it was a privilege to me to play it with an 8BitDo Pro controller that's basically a Super Nintendo controller with sticks. If I could play it with just the D-Pad, even better, so I have to put the Super Nintendo controller up in my high list with things like the PS4 and other Playstation controllers.

• @happygaming I waited til Switch version and played all of Hollow Knight with my Pro Controller. Despite my D-Pad giving me a ton of trouble when I first bought it with always launching the wrong menus in BotW, by the time I was playing Hollow Knight with it, D-Pad had worn in enough to be great for it. Also, even though these days my Pro Controller has the bummest bum Analog Stick, drifting like crazy, that D-Pad is surprisingly still great. Been playing Mario 35 with it lots lately and picking up lots of wins, and every time I lose it doesn't feel like the fault of my D-Pad. It responds exactly how I ask it to. So it has been an extremely inconsistent controller overall for me, that I can't really recommend, but it hasn't all been bad.

I actually do have an 8BitDo too that I got to play with my SNES Classic, and I've enjoyed what I've played with it, but I can't imagine giving up Rumble and Gyro and such for big games.

• Big fan of the original Sixaxis for PS3 without rumble. Super light. I like the feel of the Gamecube but the triggers always felt cheap to me. I also love the SNES. That may be my #1.

• I have stupidly huge hands so I prefer bigger controllers and I find the Xbox stick placement to be more comfortable for my hands. I always go with an Xbox style controller if I have the choice. That said, I like the DualShock 4 much more than previous PlayStation controllers, it just makes my hands cramp after a few hours.

Nintendo has had some good large hand friendly controllers. GameCube controller and the Wii U gamepad felt great to me. I also find the Switch Pro Controller to be extremely comfortable and the Hori Split Pad Pro is a nice joycon replacement.

• I bought a Nacon Revolution Pro 2 for my PS4 and it's honestly one of the best controllers I've ever used. Great build quality, 4 fully programmable back buttons, extended steel sticks on the analogs, giant face buttons, and even weights to make it lighter/heavier depending on your preference. Also comes with software that allows you to change trigger behaviours and stick sensitivity/acceleration.

• Gamecube Controller and the Wii U Gamepad.

• I think for me if you were to make a perfect controller, it would have to be laid out like the PS4 controller, but with those nice Xbox ridges on the sticks and the triggers. I've heard the PS5 controller is like a really nice hybrid of the two but I've yet to actually hold one.

There are also a lot of other controllers that don't get enough love. The NES controller is such a no-nonsense, know exactly what you're doing on it with just two buttons and start and select. The N64 controller is weird to look at but honestly I've never had any trouble playing games with people growing up; I didn't hear any complaints until the GameCube was well under way and it was like people all wanted to look back and dump on it.

Also, man, that GameCube wireless WaveBird was incredible!

• @happygaming said:

The N64 controller is weird to look at but honestly I've never had any trouble playing games with people growing up; I didn't hear any complaints until the GameCube was well under way and it was like people all wanted to look back and dump on it.

As someone who's Twitter handle literally has 64 in it, I cannot condone praise for the N64 Controller. There's so many things wrong with it, which makes sense as a first attempt for Nintendo into Analog Stick supporting controllers, but it is a very good thing we have gotten away from since. First of all, any person who sees the controller immediately has the thought "What alien is this thing made for? I don't have three hands!" This leads to immediate confusion on the proper way to hold the controller. Once that is worked past, you start to run into other issues, like the awful placement of the Z button on the back, the tendency for the face buttons to become sticky or stick over time, and worst of all the inevitability of your Analog Stick to loosen over time with wear to the point where it becomes a floppy noodle that cannot even hold itself upright.

Even the things I like about the N64 Controller, such as the strong Rumble, are not actually included in the base model and instead must be purchased separately as add-ons. I absolutely adore the N64, and I feel it has a library full of underrated gems, but the controller is basically a living prototype, and Nintendo probably should have released new iterations back in the day, similar to how PlayStation got a new controller eventually. Instead, they released gloves, so us dumb kids wouldn't tear up our hands playing Mario Party with the problematic N64 Controller.

• @mbun Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting for it to be remembered as one of the best controllers in the world, but I do think in practice I personally have never had an issue with it and feel it deserves a bit more recognition and love. Of the games that I've played with it over the years (I actually just played Ocarina of Time through for the first time a year or two ago), I definitely get the impression that it's a prototype for a lot of different ideas, but I also love how they work and feel on that controller in practice when they're on that console.

It reminds me of a Game Maker's Toolkit where he talks about modern controllers being the same now and how it basically inspires developers to make specific types of games that all control similarly because the controllers are built a certain way. While the controller has problems, I think it did inspire a lot of different ways to control and play in ways we never had before, even if not all of them panned out.

If we get past the weird claw design, and the stick being poorly built, we get the new releases of other third party controllers that are just basically a 360 controller. I'd really be interested to get my hands on it to try the controllers with games side by side. But yeah, not a hill I'm willing to die on; I personally like the N64 controller, I don't think we can go back to it, but I still love using it and love the ideas it brought to controllers.

alt text

• The Sega Saturn Mark 2 is the best controller ever made for 2D games. The proof 1ccd Batsugun & I'm shite at video games.

• @paulmci27 can’t upvote enough, embarrassed I forgot. Mods please close topic.

• @paulmci27 I've actually never held one! With Polymega coming out soon this month, I've been looking at getting a good Saturn controller. Could you post a link or some pictures? I was hoping to find a nice bluetooth model, but I've never had a Saturn.

• @happygaming I've got a couple of replica Mark 2 controllers for my Raspberry Pi & I'll be honest it doesn't do the original controllers justice. If you can use the originals on the polymega I can't recommend them enough.

• Dualshock(PS2, PS3, PS4) is the best one. It's unpopular but I like it way more than Xbox controller. Xbox controller feels big while Dualshock just fits with ease.