Videogame Hot takes

• Give me some of your spiciest Videogame Hot takes.

• IO will have a mega success with thier 007 game because now the Hitman style of game will have something with character, style and personality.

• DmC Devil May Cry is a fantastic game and better than 3/5ths of the mainline series.

TLOU2 is a massive improvement on the first game in every single way.
    Every. Single. Way.

• I think Helldivers is one of the most under rated indie games of all time. It's a bit over the top but also really grounded too. Love how you start with just so many clips of ammo, if you shot five bullets and reload with bullets still in the clip you just wasted those bullets. Air drops landing in the general area you throw the marker. Different terrains effect movement so picking your loadout could really change your play style. The game was something I looked forward to for years and when it did come out it did not disappoint.

Also the Vita was a freaking amazing system that I also think is under rated and forgotten. OLED screen, are you freaking kidding me, that thing still looks better than my TV now (non 4K just fyi)!

• @el-shmiablo

Spoiler
    I'm with you on TLOU2 but my only little nitpick is length and pacing, couple areas with Abby like going through the hotel seemed just a smidge too long. Guess that's why its a hot take. Love ND games but UC4 and TLOU2 just seemed a little bit too long for my taste.

• @themarcv I feel that if they had told the game completely chronologically instead of injecting the flashbacks between sequences it would be a fucking 11/10 mastapeace.

• @el-shmiablo

Spoiler
    I'd like that for the 3 days in Seattle but i dunno about the flashbacks being first. They would need to be reworked to have more of the game flow of exploration, combat and movie as most of those were mostly just movie with some exploration.
    ! Spoiler
    I would dig the three days more if they were kinda like at the same time, in my head that works, but in practice it might not have been as impactful. Hard to say.

Sorry to derail, I'll give another hot take to make up for it. SF3 3rd strike is better than all the SF2 games.

• Just a reminder to mark for spoilers. I'm treading super lightly on these hot takes because I haven't finished LOU2.

• @happygaming Sorry, your right.

• Part II's flashbacks were the worst and weakest parts of game.

Also, farm scene towards the end was a big mistake in terms of pacing.

Joel's new face for the previous years(not the one which he has longer hair and game takes place) was kind of weird.

Soundtrack is dissapointing too.

• I guess this is turning into a Last of Us thread so here's my Part II hottake:

The game would have been better if you played as Abby before you played as Ellie, at least in Seattle. I think it could have made the player more conflicted when doing what they did as Ellie, getting those themes across a bit better.

• @capnbobamous I've seen this suggestion a few times but I don't agree.

For me, the entire point of playing as Ellie first is to make you empathize with her. Especially if you've played the first game and are attached to Joel, the experience of watching your beloved "father" being brutally executed in front of you, especially in what seems to be an arbitrary act, is so revolting and infuriating that you the player will be in the same state of mind as Ellie the protagonist.
    Therefore as you play through the first half of the game, you approve her actions, you want revenge as much as she does, you hate those assholes. Of course, you've seen snippets of Abbie before the murder so you know deep down she must have her reasons, and you suspect it may be related to Joel's actions in the first game, but still, those assholes!
    As Ellie continues her rampage you slowly start to question her actions, detach yourself from her, maybe this is going too far, aren't we killing way too many innocents at this point?
    Then they flip the script and show you what you were fearing all along: Abbie and her buds were actually perfectly fine people, Abbie's dad was senselessly murdered too, the exact reason why you went on a killing spree, so how dare you judge her? And the more it goes, the more you get attached to these characters, and relive how you killed them all, and you feel shittier and shittier.
    Until, in my case, at the end you're 100% rooting for Abbie, or at the very least want them both to stop and go their own way.
    All this would not have worked nearly as well if you played as Abbie first. All these mixed emotions and inner conflicts would be lost.

• Might as well jump on the TLOU2 train.

TLOU2 has the best gameplay of modern naughty dog games but is worse than 1 in almost every other way(excluding technical aspects of coirse) the settle setting in particular gets stale and lacks the variety of 1

Jedi fallen order Is very mediocre and frankly seems rushed

Horizon zero dawn and zelda:BOTW have the same issue of making the open world annoying/resource draining to traverse and as such paces out some rather good story aspects way too much...

And lastly racthet and clank:going comando is a 10.

• The directing in TLoU2 is actually not very good and hurts the excellent story.

Rime is one of the best games this gen and only me and Damiani can see this!

• @nimbat1003 said in Videogame Hot takes:

frankly seems rushed

Game is not great but I strongly agree this part. Don't rush the sequel for God sake!

• @axel Just some words so that the spoilers don't show up on the main page. Doot doot doot that's probably enough time.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I think you had the ideal reaction that they wanted you to have, which is great. Problem is, I don't think as many people felt that way. Personally, I never hated Abby. I was sad that Joel died, but I was never angry because I knew that Abby's reasons for killing him were likely justified. We saw what he did at the end of the first game. He's a lovable character, but not an innocent one.
    I think I'm in the minority there, though. What I'm seeing more often are those who hate Abby even during her section. They never get that feeling you got because they spend the whole game prior seeing Ellie's actions as justified. They are just as angry as Ellie, so when they get to Abby's section they are completely unwilling to see her side, viewing the whole thing as manipulative and inorganic.
    If they were to put Abby's section immediately after Joel's death, I think it could flip the whole thing on its head. Yes the player likely hates Abby at first, but I think that hate could more organically simmer down into understanding if the player is given time with her that isn't preceded by ten hours devoted to their hatred of her. Maybe the player doesn't grow to like her, but they should understand her and see her as a person, not a villain. This then makes Ellie's quest afterward much more bittersweet. The player still likes Ellie, but they are able to view what she's doing through a much different lense, making them much more conflicted about it. The themes of hate and revenge are furthered because the player shouldn't want Ellie to go through with it. They've already seen the consequences.

• @nimbat1003 I just finished Jedi Fallen Order a few days ago, feels like it still needed more time in the oven. As I wrote here some sections seem like place holders or at least still needing a lot of design tweaks.

• @capnbobamous I'll do the same and add some buffer for spoilers.

I've also seen a lot of people criticize the game because they felt what you describe: "They are just as angry as Ellie, so when they get to Abby's section they are completely unwilling to see her side, viewing the whole thing as manipulative and inorganic."
    To me it's sadly very telling of the type of person they are, if that's how they go through real life too. Explains a lot about certain groups of people who deny facts and stick to their preferred version of "reality" despite all evidence to the contrary, as exemplified by recent political events, if you catch my drift ;)
    Also them saying it's manipulative is a ridiculous argument in my opinion, because that's literally what every story ever told does. It's the entire point of storytelling, to frame a series of events from a specific angle to make the viewer/reader/player/listener feel a certain way. So again, it sounds like these people are just refusing to have their minds changed by the revelation of new facts. About a virtual character! Scary, but not surprising.
    Back to your suggestion, I understand what you mean but it feels to me that switching to Abbie right after Joel's murder would make the above people hard-quit the game even faster haha. I do agree that I probably reacted the exact way ND expected me to, that's why it worked so well for me.
    It would be interesting to make a switched cut of the game, show that to people who haven't experienced it before, and see their reaction.

• Abby was actually my favorite character in the game, I really started to dislike Ellie and frankly most of the supporting characters.

The emotional manipulation in particular annoyed me, personally playing game I killed every dog first before clearing out the people and then they want to make me feel sad for this one dog you killed earlier, same with the pregnant women but who got in there situations from frankly stupid decisions, not too mention by that point Ellie has stabbed her way through half of seattle.

• The N64 is a terrible console with dated ugly poor controlling games. The Sega Saturn is a way superior console with far better games that are still perfectly playable.