Videogame Hot takes

• @bam541

Sure.

• @paulmci27 Can you provide actual examples that are better than Super Metroid? I would like to give them a try before I just cast you off as a maniac.

• @paulmci27 said in Videogame Hot takes:

Symphony of the Night & Super Metroid although trailblazers & classic games don't hold a candle to modern Metroidvanias. Whether it be controls or level design they just can't compete, but that's okay. I would say the same for 95% of retro 8 & 16 hit platformers. Games are just better now & so they should be.

This is funny because I don't think Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are anywhere near as interesting as the earlier games in their respective series.

• Watch Dogs: Legion deserves nothing more than a 5/10.

• Banned

@jdincinerator That isn't a hot take.

• @jdincinerator
    That's common concensus

• @e_zed_eh_intern I personally enjoyed ori, Hollow Knight, Bloodstained & Monsterboy more. I just think Super Metroids controls are a bit stiff & your characters to big. I do acknowledge that it is amazing though.

• @dmcmaster Not according to EZA or IGN it seems.

• @el-shmiablo Fair point just some of the high scores I've seen for it has compelled me to put it here.

• Half-Life 3 will never live up to the expectations people have in thier minds for it, just look at Duke Nukem Forever or on a more positive note Season 5 of Samurai Jack. Not to mention the processing power required to render Gordon's crowbar will probably mean having to make concessions here and there, like being unable to shoot out lights.

• @paulmci27 said in Videogame Hot takes:

@e_zed_eh_intern I personally enjoyed ori, Hollow Knight, Bloodstained & Monsterboy more. I just think Super Metroids controls are a bit stiff & your characters to big. I do acknowledge that it is amazing though.

I played SotN in 2017 for the first time and Super Metroid when the SNES Classic released and I generally liked them both, but I think some of the modern 2D Metroidvania games are better or even the 3D games that are heavily inspired by them like Batman Arkham Asylum.

SotN has too much aimless exploring for today’s standards and especially because you have to look up how to even access the second half of the game. I beat all of the bosses except for 1 (not realizing it) then just got a bad ending. Stuff like that is a bit annoying by today’s standards.

Whereas Ori 2 is just perfect. Hollow Knight controls perfect, has amazing exploration and my only complaint is that it becomes too hard, but it’s still ahead of its predecessors in SotN and SM.

• @dipset fair take. I also played SOTN for the first time in the past few years and it felt super bloated to me but who’s to say how I would have felt had I played it on release. And so, of course, had I NOT played Super Metroid way back I may feel the same way about that game. MAY.

Anyways, looks like physical Switch versions of the Ori games are $55 CAD. Seems steep for an indie though. Anybody have thoughts on that price?

• @e_zed_eh_intern

I got it on Game Pass but it’s worth the price of admission. Even if it was more money tbh. It’s an easy 15 hour game and maybe 20-25 if you 100% the game which if you’re like me, you might inadvertently do because you’re so hooked on it.

My buddy played on Switch and loves it, no Switch complaints from him.

• @dipset last question: if I asked why you love this game, would gameplay be your first response?

• @e_zed_eh_intern

Yup. It's a perfect mix of getting a lot of tools as the game progresses and they feed in on one another better than most other games. Ori 2 outright has like Top 3 movement/flow in all of gaming. It plays borderline perfect.

• @dipset ordered

• @dmcmaster I don’t think there is any expectations. Either way, half life alyx was as good as any half life game for me.

• @bigdude1
    You say that, but I'm willing to bet there are people who have spent half of thier lives waiting on Half-Life 3, thinking it will be some transcendent experience delivered unto them by god.

• The Sega Genesis Mini, Turbo Grafx Mini, and Neo Geo Mini are a 1000x's better than the NES & SNES mini. While the former three have their various duds in the compilations, at least you get more than enough variety of games. The NES & SNES you only get 20 games respectively, and the console compilation is way more expensive due to Nintendo stopping production and scalpers. Even at their original price points, they were way too expensive.

Bayonetta 2 is a much better game than Bayonetta. The sequel gets rid of the bad QTEs, a more pleasing color palette that is not washed out, and better pacing. The story is simple and not as convoluted as the first game. The game has even better bonuses that easier to unlock and are not tedious nor obtuse unlike Bayo1.

Asura's Wrath is a better God of War Game than all the God of War games. While God of War 4 can be described as American Asura's Wrath.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales > than Spider-Man (PS4)

Double Dragon Neon is great game, but it's not the best DD game. That title goes to Double Dragon Advance on the GBA. I feel that DDN has gotten over praised over the years and especially when it first launched. The game can and will force you to grind on harder difficulty to max out your stats and special moves. It gets old and repetitive having to switch between menus constantly for abilities. I found two sets of power ups that works best when maxed out, making almost all of the other abilities and skills useless.

Eve is a better villain than Sephiroth. Yeah, I said it.

Burnout Paradise is not as good as 3 or Revenge, but shits on most of the racing games that came out on 8th gen.

The last good Need for Speed game was Hot Pursuit (2010). The last decent NFS game was Rivals (the PC port is horrible. Do not play.) I have not played NFS Heat yet.

Shadows of the Damned is better than Lollipop Chainsaw. I do like Juliet as a character, but that is game couldn't have been made anywhere except in 2012.

Ayane is one of the most unsympathetic characters in a fighting game series, and I have almost no sympathy for the bytch. They kinda try to fix this with DOA5 & 6, but it should not have taken that long to end that stupid grudge plotline. I don't understand how Kasumi has so much patience for that brat. I'd sooner cry for Juri Han than Ayane. Poison is a better person than Ayane.

While games based off of anime are in better state now than most were back in early 3D days, there are still issues. Alot of them just adapt the shounen genre and not much else. They've mostly turn in to bog standards arena fighters. I may not like Naruto, but at least Cyber Connect 2 tries something unique with the anime games they make. Even if their design template is a more advanced version of what they did for Asura's Wrath. I do look forward to their Demon Slayer game. I still have not watched it yet.

But where's my Cowboy Bebop game, and not just the ones from the PS1/Ps2 days? Where is a new Ghost in the Shell? Alita? Ninja Scroll? An open world Black Lagoon game? I would take a Panty and Stocking game just for variety sake.

The best anime games from last gen are Dragonball FighterZ (which is their version of Marvel vs. Capcom) and Kill La Kill IF. IF may be an 3D arena fighter, but it's got more in depth gameplay and fighting mechanics than the standard usual fair. Its main flaw being the lack of much bonus content and a lack of a large roster. The game could have used a couple more characters. At least IF bothered to bring back all of the English dub voice actors from the anime. Something a lot of arenas fighters don't bother doing just to save some extra money.

• @brawlman
    Completely agree on Anime games, we either get extremely boring Arena fighters, visual novels, and maybe on occasion a RPG (Fairy Tale recently got one)

Also there was a F2P Ghost in the Shell a few years ago but I think it's gone offline now (was also a TF2 clone if I remember correctly)

But Cowboy Bebop is like the perfect franchise for series for a game franchise so much so that I'm surprised no one at Namco Bandai has thought of it.