Videogame Hot takes

• Banned

@DIPSET I agree with your take on BFV. (that you posted in a different thread)
    It really is the best Battlefield has been in years, but brain-dead morons focused more on the woman with the prosthetic limb in the release trailer (that ended up being completely tonally different from the actual game) instead of the monumental gameplay improvements over previous entries in the series.

• @el-shmiablo But what about historical accuracy???

• @El-Shmiablo

Gun play and infinity combat is pretty improved. Topography / natural terrain in the map design is top notch.

Sandbox gameplay was a step down, and overall ambition was lacking a bit.

BUT people gotta relax. It sold 7M at launch which is slightly less than Battlefield 1. So what? That means it was still successful and is now in EA Play so even more new fans are joining to this day. Outrage YouTubers have to chill because it isn’t a failure or bad game by any stretch.

@Phbz

Ah I forgot the historical accuracy argument. I don’t even know how to reply to that one since I’m no historian, but I did find it funny that people suddenly cared about history accuracy when they removed Swastika’s and added in female skins.

• @dipset I kinda agree and disagree with your take on BFV, because I feel like it did got way too much hate (those skin controversies are the dumbest of the bunch), but also the game's slow and mostly average updates really didn't do it any favors. The Pacific update is pretty sick, but other than that I can't really think of anything that was worth the wait. I hope that DICE learns the right things from BFV, and make their new battlefields to be an actual complete experience from launch, and then have actual solid plans on how to keep it going in the long run.

• Banned

@bam541 I think wasting resources on a Battle Royale mode for the game was one of its bigger mistakes.

• @el-shmiablo oh absolutely. I would understand if they made that to be a free to play mode for the masses or something like that, but at this state it's just a distraction from the real game for most BF fans.

• @bam541

I don't even disagree with you. Firestorm Battle Royale had potential, but is ultimately a waste of time and money considering they could've just made the core game better. But in BFV's current finished and unchanging state, the game is really good and overall fun.

The amount of fun that I've had playing BFV as well as the thousands of others who still play it on a daily basis is a far cry from all of the outrage and 0/10 reviews. I'm not here to argue it was flawed at launch. But there are people online who still spew vitriol about BFV to this day and I think it's legitimately a really great game. I actually enjoy it more than BF4 and BF1. Both of those games were also fantastic in their own way, but I think BFV nailed gunplay and squad combat.

BF6 just needs to bring back larger maps and bigger sandbox gameplay and we're golden.

• Banned

@dipset said in Videogame Hot takes:

I actually enjoy it more than BF4
    Wrong.

I'll never say BFV didn't have an absolutely abysmal launch, but honestly that is just most AAA multiplayer focused games in this day and age.
    One of my favorite things about the advent of the online age is that games can completely turn around.
    Diablo 3 went from being perhaps the most disappointed I've even been at a videogame to my most played and enjoyed game across two generations and three platforms.

• Banned

Yooka Laylee is a bad game, but so is Banjo Kazooie.
    If you think Yooka is worse than Banjo, you need to take off your nostalgia glasses.

• @el-shmiablo if you think they're bad don't play the Crash remasters

• @el-shmiablo said in Videogame Hot takes:

Yooka Laylee is a bad game, but so is Banjo Kazooie.
    If you think Yooka is worse than Banjo, you need to take off your nostalgia glasses.

Exactly how is Banjo bad?

• @sheria
    A bear, using a bird. It's preposterous.

• Crash Bandicoot(2017) is one of the worst remakes! It is just a graphically enhanced PS1 game with awful mechanics, this kind of game in this age is unacceptable while there are a lot better platformers out there. They should have touched and upgraded the gameplay too.

It is just a torture and not fun at all. And don't get me start on those camera angles/perspective of the world, platforms, space etc.

• @scotty said in Videogame Hot takes:

Crash Bandicoot(2017) is one of the worst remakes! It is just a graphically enhanced PS1 game with awful mechanics, this kind of game in this age is unacceptable while there are a lot better platformers out there. They should have touch and upgrade the gameplay too.

I'd say the Crash, Spyro, SotC and Demon's Souls remakes are the best examples out there personally.
    I may be sensing sarcasm, but then given the thread...

• @sheria

No sarcasm here.

• @scotty said in Videogame Hot takes:

@sheria

No sarcasm here.

Fair enough. Is that a failure of the remake though or just a dislike for the type of game?

• @scotty I agree they managed to make a mediocre 3d & 2d platformer in the same game. Also the difficulty made my son cry.

• @scotty Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy seems like it's nothing more than nostalgia bait with fresh visuals.

• @paulmci27 said in Videogame Hot takes:

@scotty I agree they managed to make a mediocre 3d & 2d platformer in the same game. Also the difficulty made my son cry.

I'm confused. I get you think Crash isn't very good, which is fair enough, but what you're actually agreeing to is that the recent release is one of the worst remakes.
    What exactly makes it a bad remake specifically?

• @sheria I think it's a great Remake the game is gorgeous along with Spyro. I don't think the games are great. I actually think 2 & 3 are just okay at best.