Videogame Hot takes

• Final Fantasy XIII is a good game.

• @e_zed_eh_intern Bring it to switch so I can finally play it

• @naltmank I'll see what I can do.

• Since I was talking about this game earlier in another post I'll bring this up. The Final Fantasy 15 combat system is more fun than 7 Remakes. Warp Strike 4 life baby.

• @paulmci27 I played a fair bit of XV and loved it and the combat was great but I never really felt like I had complete control. I have yet to play Remake.

This actually leads into another take I have had for some time: I feel like Final Fantasy should decide what it wants to be in terms of gameplay. ATB has always separated it from traditional turn-based games and made for some really interesting systems like 12 and 13 but since Lightning Returns, I feel like they have gone for games that look like action games but are bogged down by trying to still include menus in combat.

Warp Strike is so sick though.

• @e_zed_eh_intern The Remake combat is great & is alot better thought out than 15. Its a great compromise between Action & Turn based. Just not a fun in my eyes.

• While I liked remakes combat i do feel it's missing a few things to make it truly great.

• Banned

@e_zed_eh_intern Completely, 100% agree. It's honestly what made me love FF again after playing a godawful one got my to swear off Final Fantasy for nearly a decade.
    Speaking of, FFX is a terrible game.

• @el-shmiablo Obviously Titus must be such a complex nuanced character it's beyond you're comprehension.

• @el-shmiablo said in Videogame Hot takes:

@e_zed_eh_intern Completely, 100% agree. It's honestly what made me love FF again after playing a godawful one got my to swear off Final Fantasy for nearly a decade.
    Speaking of, FFX is a terrible game.

FFX is perfect for a lazy gamer like me, take as much time as I want during combat, no stress.

I loved taking on the Dark Aeons and the Monster Arena
    Blitz Ball was pretty fun but goes against my lazy nature
    Biggest complain you can't skip cutscenes

I'm not a fan of hybrid combat, either make it like DMC style combat or go full turn based

My own hot take: People place too much weight on Story and Characters in Video Games (Non Visual Novels)

• The only thing I personally hate about FFX that I can remember off the top of my head is The Highwood, getting all the Ultimate Weapons, and the Macarena joke they sneaked into the English version.

• @robert7lee said in Videogame Hot takes:

My own hot take: People place too much weight on Story and Characters in Video Games (Non Visual Novels)

This got my upvote. Would have given a thousand more if I could have.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    You could always vote/ unvote till you're happy.

• To be brutally honest I'm afraid Life is Strange: True Colours might be going through all too familiar motions. The trailer just made me think "here we go again", which is making me believe the series is going to jump the shark. I didn't think Tell Me Why did anything remotely interesting besides what Life is Strange already did-and the less said about Twin Mirror the better-though at least with Twin Mirror there's an interesting spin on the familiar formula even if it was a failure.

• @jdincinerator
    Honestly I think Life is Strange already jumped the shark back in it's first game. Like I know I enjoyed it back when it came out but last November or December I went back to try and play it again and it, Idk it's like I was suddenly super aware of just how bad it is, that and it feels like that story was getting dragged in 3 or 4 different directions and Dontnod was just kind of making it up as they went along. Like The religious girl seemed like she was going to be far more important to the plot then she was only to disappear after the second episode and reappear in the final one (If I'm remembering it right)

• @jdincinerator

While I agree with you about Tell Me Why, which was a fine game because it managed to stay lean before it wore out it's welcome—the silver lining here is that DONTNOD isn't making this new Life Is Strange game.

I felt that Deck Nine brought the heat when the made Before The Strom and they do a good job of making an engaging story. Sure, the lack of superpowers in BtS made for a weird "berate people with vulgarity" mini-game which obviously isn't as interesting as time travel mini-game, but BtS has a really gripping plot.

@DMCMaster

I feel the same way about Life Is Strange 2. I've never been more certain of anything that they were making that story up as they went along. It couldn't be any more clear than Chapter 3 where you literally just sit around a bonfire with a bunch of dirty woodland hippies complaining about life and the "gameplay" was an axe throwing mini-game and hauling water jugs so the hippies think you're pulling weight around the camp.

I never really found the LiS1 plot to be too meandering tbh, but I've only replayed it once. What it has going for it though is the fact that the photography mini-game is pretty fun and gives you an opportunity to explore the world more. And the locales are great and detailed. Also, I found the melodrama, teen bully revenge and murder mystery angles keep it engaging across the episodes but I wouldn't be surprised if I went back and noticing some threads getting dropped half way through.

Whereas LiS2 has this aimless meandering plot but no fun gameplay or world building to back it up. I quite literally couldn't give a rats ass what some dirty dreadlocked pot smoking hippy has to tell me about their life whereas almost everybody in LiS1 had something interesting to say.

• I find everything about TLOUS universe boring and uninteresting. What's the point in being invested to terrible people doing terribly unnecessary things to each other only for the sake of cheap thrills, "dark and edgy", or for the sake of "art"? If that's the case, I might was well thrown in every fictional sociopathtic villain. The whole grizzled older guy/DILF combined with guiding a young girl/boy/kid/son or daughter figure in a dead world or apocalypse is nothing new and should not be treated as such or some grand revelation.

Gaming did it at least twice in the HD era before 2013 with Enslaved and Nier. Funny how critics were praising the former to high heaven, only to forget about it when the next best thing comes along. Ironic, because to only time critics bring that game up is in relation to DmC (2013). Another game done by Ninja Theory that had a way worse story (which most critics seem to love only to bash the OG series and its characters) than Enslaved. Enslaved actually tried and I like its story. Gameplay is another issue though, but that's getting off topic. Most of these plunkers only over-hype these types of games claiming a false sense of maturity or too insecure to share the things they like to non-gamers. Trying to impress those that hate or look down on the medium and would not bother otherwise.

Newsflash, Joel is not the worst father/father figure in gaming history, but he's certainly ain't the best nor in my top spot. You know something is wrong when an assassin like Travis Touchdown or a sociopathic man-child like Kratos became better fathers than Joel. Dante is a better father than Joel, and he don't even have kids. Asura, Adam Hunter, Harry Mason, Mike Haggar, and Sebastain Castellanos are the best daddies in gaming.

• Beat'em ups are not as repetitive as many "professional" critics or anti-brawler fans have you believe. It's just that they don't bother to explore the games mechanics or blaze through the game, button mashing their way through. All without much thought and care. There are brawlers that are button mashers, yes, but that pretty much died down the early to mid 2000s.

• Ninja Gaiden as a whole is a frustrating series that is not fun to play. Especially the reboot games with Ninja Gaiden II being the stand out example.

• DmC nearly killed the Devil May Cry series. Thank Christ, Capcom finally got their head out of their asses and actually focused on what makes them Capcom. Embracing their Japanese roots. Now I wish they did the same for Dead Rising and Lost Planet.

• Dead Rising 3 is the best game in the DR series.

• Street Fighter IV & V should have been sequels, and not prequels to III, that further develop the younger generation. Thankfully, V closes a ton of lose ends for the majority of the cast, so whenever VI does get announced, it actually be a legit sequel that goes into the future and does not constantly rely on Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li.

• Most Sonic games are good and a lot of the other hot takes are mostly history revisionist bullshit, because wants to be poplular by bashing the franchise when a majority have not played that many games. Doing all of this just to gain easy street cred. Sonic Unleashed and Colors I am still not big on either though.

• Sonic Generations is better than Sonic Mania.

• Metal Gear Rising is the best Metal Gear game.

• Vanquish and Bulletstorm are the best shooters of 7th generation for doing something to really stand out and try. The latter is the best Duke Nukem game ever made. I am glad both games are getting the recognition they finally deserve.

• Nintendo Switch Online sucks and I refuse to cough up $20.

• Turtles in Time (SNES) is not the best beat'em up ever made. One of the best, yes, but I blame Screw Attack (Stuttering Craig) for constantly selling that fantasy when they there are so many 2D brawlers that have better game play. I love the TinT, but there are better brawlers that deserve that title. Streets of Rage 2 or 4, Undercover Cops, Violent Storm, Guardian Heroes, and Alien vs. Predator.

• From Software can you go back to making games that are of the non-Dark Soul variety. Remember when you use to make those? We've got enough Soul style games already!

• Evil Within 2 is the best modern Resident Evil game. EW2>>>>>>>>RE4, RE5, RE6, and especially RE7.

• The GameCube I enjoyed more than og XBOX. With that said, XBOX has an amazing library of games.

• Timesplitters was an awesome series that was gone too soon. Finally found it's footing with the 3rd and final entry.

• I never found the Tomb Raider games that exciting. Both original and remake.

Rayman Legends is the best 2d platformer of 7th generation and kills most of the platformers on 8th gen. Fuck you, Ubisoft for pushing the release date back to when GTAV released with 2 weeks! Because that will improve your fucking sales!

Strider (2014) and Shadow Complex are the best Metroidvania's ever made.

Castlevania was at it's best going arcade style (Castlevania I, III, & Bloodlines for example) and not constantly drawing from the Symphony of the Night well. It's why I never held much interest in most of the GBA and DS titles

The Mishima blood feud storyline always sucked and got worse after 3. No one cares anymore. The storyline went on far too long and overshadowed other characters stories and either ended them anti-climatically or dropped them without warning. I know it's a fighting game series, but this was ridiculous by that standard. I honestly have no interest for Tekken 8's story, >! even though they actually killed off Hieachi this time for good.

Open World/Sandbox/GTA games are not the pinnacle of game design nor are they the perfect or ultimate game. They can be just as lazy and unintuitive as any other game not made with care or only made with mediocrity in mind. I got sick of the genre after Saints Row 2 and GTA IV.

• @brawlman I'm with you with Evil Within 2 & Rayman Legends. Bulletstorm & Vanquish are fine games as well

• @brawlman
    I'm honestly surprised hardly anyone talks about Nier or Enslaved for Starting that trend.