Videogame Hot takes

• @dipset I disagree heavily. I like the first evil then, but that game was really buggy at launch. I know there were patches, but that's besides the point. The sequel didn't have those issues. I still like the game, but there are several problems. For one, Sebastian and Joseph are just along for the ride. Everyone but them knows what's going on. Even Leslie knows more what's going on than those two. second, the story tries too hard to leave you in the dark. Some of the DLC fixes this, but it's obvious that they're fixing stuff they knew what was wrong from the get-go. My other problem with the first game is that it's literally just re4 but it's Nightmare on Elm Street and The Matrix. Plus, they went way too overboard on a difficulty. There were a lot of bosses with one hit kill moves. I got kind of lucky, but they made their attack tails too vague on what was a one hit kill and what wasn't. I did not like the mute color palette. That's a leftover from seventh generation, so I'm not going to fall into too much, but the game is just ugly to look at. It's got some good art design and creative monsters, don't get me wrong, I just hate the boring nightmare World color they go with.

The sequel might not go as "crazy", but I do not consider that a bad thing. Stefano is a great villain. He may not be a threatening as Ruvik, but he is still a threat. I actually like the villains being different. Unlike Ruvik, Stefano wants to be seen, he wants the attention. I like the fact that you had a roster of villains and it wasn't just contained to sociopath whose big stink was that he had daddy issues and lost his sister. I actually care about the characters. They give Sebastian something to do and give him a full character arc. They weren't just lazy expies of Resident Evil characters. Julie Kidman actually ended up being a better Ada Wong than Ada Wong. The team on the sequel knew what to do with her instead of just making her some vague "antihero"slly who's not even much of an antihero. The story is a huge improvement over the first one. you get great rewards for exploring the side quest, side content, and going the offbeaten path. I love the personal Sebastian quests where he still has remnants of STEM and Beacon Mental Hospital still stuck in him. I like the fact when you beat the final one he moves on from his past. You even get his revolver from the first game when you beat all three of them. I love meeting and interacting with all the side characters you see in stem. I actually cared about them, and it sucked where their fate was either left ambiguous or they died. That is how you do horror.

It flows better and pretty much ties up most of the loose ends. Sebastian gets the closure and happy ending he deserves. the third game can either be about Kidman or Joseph, one of the two are both, I don't care. Just as long as they leave Sebastian out of it.

• @brawlman

I think our main difference is that I really don't care about the story at all. I consider both games to have about as much character and plot nonsense as any other Resident Evil or Japanese game that takes itself too seriously. With that said, the atmosphere surrounding the story, STEM, and the shady corporation is a lot more tasteful in the sequel. No question there. Also, I agree the muted aesthetic of the original game is not too easy on the eyes. Yet, I find the overall character and world design to be a lot more unique in the original. Again, those Keepers are iconic in my mind whereas very few enemies stick out to me in the sequel. Likewise, the Keeper made for good scary aesthetics AND intense gameplay whereas somebody like Stephano was a pretty bad boss. I guess the whole 'photography monsters' was a cool idea but it didn't translate into great gameplay for me.

But ultimately, I find pretty much every character to be dumb and my main point of enjoyment are on the terrifying creatures and how they fit into gameplay. The only character that really stood out to me in the sequel was the ghost in the first open world section who stalked you. That scared the shit outta me and complimented the open world really well. Seeing here kinda ominously walking down the road while you hide in a building off to the side.

But from a minute to minute gameplay perspective, I just think the sequel lacked intensity. One example would be fighting the same Pyro guys in the open world after having a pretty great 1 on 1 fight in a tight space earlier on. There isn't any fear factor when I can run up a ladder and snipe the Pyros from far. Or I can easily sneak up on them as they walk the same route like base level functioning AI in any run of the mill stealth game. Personally, I have issues with the one hit kills in both games, but it's not a massive gripe for me. But in my opinion, the original game has some intense moments that lacked in the sequel. I think about the amount of times where a horde is coming so I'll sprint, do a 180, fire off a crossbow round, loop around some more to create space. Or mini-bosses in these tight areas. When the sequel opens up so much, there isn't much sense of dread. Even some of the linear levels are wide open like Chapter 9 (I think) where you are in this bloody abyss and there are little enemy outposts. These are open areas, you kill them, have infinite space to run around.

I know I'm going off as more harsh than I actually feel. I think the game is a solid 7 or 7.5/10 and I enjoyed my time with it, but what I can't shake is how different the sequel feels from the original game to the point where you can wholly feel that it had a different director and general approach to the series.

• @dipset speak for yourself. You may have not cared, but there's plenty of other people who did. I don't care about super high intensity. Not everything has to be super difficult or abstract. And the game still has plenty of tense moments. maybe not as much the first game, but I don't care. You have to have some type of breathing room or relaxation. When your first game just boils down to re4 but dreams, then it's lacking something. I'll take improvement that succeeds and tries to either improve or do something different, over having the same old boilerplate game. It's why I prefer Evil Within 2 over RE4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 when it comes out. It felt like a better sequel to Resident Evil than all of those combined.

• Didn't read too much because funnily enough I'm playing Evil Within for the first time but my two hot takes so far are;

1. It's so much better than the sequel, which I disliked to the point that I ended quitting. (Although I still want to give it a second chance)

2. I feel like every 30 minutes it has more ideas in how it fucks with you than the whole RE franchise.

RE games don't quite trigger me in terms of fear response but EW keeps things creepy and fresh from moment to moment and I appreciate that, even if I don't find it specifically scary.

• @brawlman

Don't you find that TEW series is more of a sequel to RE4 than it is to the earlier games? Like, if I were to compare TEW series to those early games, they don't have too much in common other than a safe spot to save your game and conserving ammo. I feel like it has more in common with Batman Arkham than it does with Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica.

I definitely agree the series is a much better RE4 sequel than 5 or 6. I recently just completed RE4 for the first time, and am en route to finishing RE5 for the first time ever as well, and I'm pretty blown away by how unambitious RE5 is. It's basically just co-op RE4 with nothing meaningful added. In that regard, The Evil Within 1 & 2 seem like such a massive step in the right direction for an action survival horror game and definitely much better sequels to RE4 than RE5 or 6, but I don't think there is much comparison between TEW 1&2 and RE 1,2,3, and 7.

• @phbz I recommend you give the second game another chance. At least the complete Sebastian story. I wasn't bored with either game, but with the first game, certain boss battles just happen for no rhyme or reason. There was no build up or tension to it: it's just here's a boss fight. there was some that didn't have proper build up, but it was few and far between.

• @dipset EW2 has more in common with the old school Resident Evils than you realize. it has almost nothing in common with the Arkham series other than the semi open world, but that's nothing new. The old Resident Evil games have a labyrinth/backtrack structure, and EW2 is no different in that regard. I'm not just talking about buying a references either. EW2 has that old school RE atmosphere, just without the CG backgrounds.

• @dipset said in Videogame Hot takes:

@brawlman
    character and plot nonsense as any other Resident Evil or Japanese game that takes itself too seriously.

Lol, I love that. Such widespread judgement.

• I'm with Brawlman here, I found TEW2 to be a much better game than its predecessor

• Banned

@brawlman DmC Devil May Cry does have a better story that literally every single mainline DMC.

• @el-shmiablo
    Those are words that will put you in the deepest, darkest pits of hell where you will tortured for all eternity by having pineapples shoved up your ass while dressed as a French maid.

Anyway, Silent Hill Downpour and Silent Hill Homecoming probably had the strongest potential of all the western developed Silent Hill games, like a bit of retooling of the plots, tighter controls (I.E not taking forever to turn around in Homecoming) and taking care of the technical issues they might have been better received.

Shooting lights is the most important part of any game, if you can't shoot out the lights then its a absolute failure.

• @el-shmiablo The story is better than DMC2. That is all you get. Otherwise, the story is still obnoxious, "edgy" for the sake of it, insists upon itself, is only a game that could have come from the early 2010s, and wastes my time. I'll give credit to the DE version for fixing most of the gameplay issues in the vanilla version. But most of that goes to fans who fixed the game for Capcom on the PC. You ungrateful bastards (Capcom)! PC players should have gotten the PC version too, for the work they did fixing your game.

• This isn't my hottake but I'm just curious-does anyone hate or really dislike Doom: Eternal? A friend of mine really loathes it which surprised me and made me curious but then it kinda hit me when he explained why he didn't like-you spend so much time collecting ammo because the guns run dry way too quickly. In a game where you're supposedly given free reign to kick monstrous alien ass-collecting ammo regularly is really laborious and terrible. Also I realize that some of the prettiest and thus most attractive games out there can hide some truly dreadful and repetitive gameplay foibles. Again this isn't really my hottake but I'm curious about how you all feel about Doom: Eternal and whether you've had the same problems with it.

• @jdincinerator I think the game does what it does intentionally. It has a very specific pace, a rhythmic loop, and it's masterful in how it keeps the player doing the dance the whole time.

Gamers have this way of dealing with games that's like the equivalent of someone saying a chair is bad because it makes for an awful table. That is to say that while I can see why someone might not enjoy it I'm also of the opinion that is a superbly executed game.

But this whole "loop" debate is something I'm very conscious about. For example, FFVII was my first JRPG, and to this day I can't wrap my head around the infinity of pointless randomly generated battles that game made me go through. And that kind be of grind present in JRPGs makes it really hard for me to enjoy them even if I appreciate a lot of stuff they do, I just don't want spend 80 hour on a game and 60 of those being superfluous filler content. Doom's loop on the other hand keeps me totally engaged, constantly making snap decisions.

• @jdincinerator I feel like ammo management in Doom Eternal is well executed and an important part of the game. It encourages you to be precise with your shots, and make the best use of your cooldowns and chainsaw kills. It's a game that demands quick immediate action, but it also rewards you for thinking two steps ahead.

• @el-shmiablo said in Videogame Hot takes:

@brawlman DmC Devil May Cry does have a better story that literally every single mainline DMC.

I have only played DMC1 and have no experience with DmC other than the demo, but this hot take reminds me of how there is apparently a weekly post on the Metallica Reddit where somebody sticks their neck out and defends 2003’s “St. Anger” as not only a great album but one of Metallica’s best.

Then everybody in the comments eats them up like wolves.

I feel like DmC is the St. Anger of the series according to the masses lol

• @dipset DmC (2013) it's so much worse than St. Anger. I say this and I am not that big of a Metallica fan.

• Banned

@dipset Eh. I think gamers are wayyyyyyyy too reactionary these days and are still wiping the pee off their jeans over Dante's hair colour and a silly joke he makes about it in the game.
    There is a reason DMC5 went so far out of it's way to copy DmC both stylistically and with it's gameplay systems.
    Mainline DMC is just a collection of played out anime tropes. That doesn't mean they are bad games, quite the contrary I think they (excluding 2) are some of the best Character Action games on the market, but they are super cringey and the stories don't amount to much more than excuses to give you reasons to fight big bads in cool ways.

• @el-shmiablo It was more than hair color and you know that. Whatever DmC did, DMC5 did better. I noticed a references and I'm glad they were able to put in a reference for everyone of all fans. Still doesn't change the fact that Capcom changed too much for no reason than other trying to heavily appeal to Westerners and downplay anything Japanese. DmC should have been a spin-off title, or more likely, a divorced installment. It's how the Devil May Cry franchise got started. They would have two hack and slash franchises and make double the money. If they were really smart, they would have done that.

DMC5 is proud of its legacy, but more so it's Japanese roots, gaming in general, and it's dedicated fan base.

• @naltmank Because it is one of the greatest games of all time.