Videogame Hot takes

• @sheria Apologies for the confusion.

• @sheria

Let me explain like this: If a game's core mechanics are good enough, just changing the techinal parts graphics etc are nice(SotC for example) but in this situation core game's mechanics are awful and so old, those controls etc. I would like them to also touch the controls, camera angles etc. Think it like RE2, I probably wouldn't care about it if it came exactly like PS1 controls with "that" camera angles, slow gameplay etc. But I love it how they touched everything and still make the even most of the core fans happy along with the people like me who didn't care about the original one.

@paulmci27 said in Videogame Hot takes:

Also the difficulty made my son cry.

Same. I was swearing all the time. Ahahahah

• @scotty He wanted it for Christmas I warned him he's only 4, way to hard for him. Had to buy him Spyro as well digitaly the same day to keep him happy.

• @paulmci27

Aaawww! 🤗 Bro fist the little fella for me. ✌️

• @scotty said in Videogame Hot takes:

@sheria

Let me explain like this: If a game's core mechanics are good enough, just changing the techinal parts graphics etc are nice(SotC for example) but in this situation core game's mechanics are awful and so old, those controls etc. I would like them to also touch the controls, camera angles etc. Think it like RE2, I probably wouldn't care about it if it came exactly like PS1 controls with "that" camera angles, slow gameplay etc. But I love it how they touched everything and still make the even most of the core dans happy.

Makes more sense now, thanks.

I personally love remakes that remain faithful, In fact I think they best fit the term "remake".

That said I'm not really aware of many 2D/3D platformers that did it a lot better than Crash. Pandemonium and Klonoa strived for a mix of perspectives and then you had Croc & Gex which were pushing full 3D like Mario 64. Thing was though, Crash was still pushing its own thing for three games and played it very differently.

I'd hate to lose a style of game just because of technical advances. All of the games mentioned above are distinct and unique. It would be like denying Shovel Knight its existence just because there's people who'd argue it's old and out of date.

• @sheria

I think what should stay exactly like it is and what should change a lot of its features while holding the core when remaking it is more of a personal choice.

For example, I'm sure there will be people who will defend RE4 Remake should keep the shooting mechanic where you can't move while I find it very ridiculous thing to keep.

I don't think it's fair to compare retro style games with these remakes where what it was is obvious and how they can improve it while trying again.

• @scotty said in Videogame Hot takes:

@sheria

I think what should stay exactly like it is and what should change a lot of its features while holding the core when remaking it is more of a personal choice.

For example, I'm sure there will be people who will defend RE4 Remake should keep the shooting mechanic where you can't move while I find it very ridiculous thing to keep.

I don't think it's fair to compare retro style games with these remakes where what it was is obvious aand how they can improve it while trying again.

There's a lof of variables I guess.

Sticking with Crash though, the game you agreed was a poor remake. What exactly would a Crash 1 remake look like and play like to you?

• @sheria

I wouldn't mind it looking like it is, it is looking good enough.

What I would change: Jumping(it's been a month since I finished it but I guesss my main problem was its speed if it makes sense, didn't felt tight enough), camera angle(how far or near the platform is, I usually couldn't understand in 3D chapters), hitbox of Crash is ridiculous I was like "When did I touched that turtle!?" most of the time.

• Banned

@sheria It's a floaty, generally janky as hell platformer that only got by because there wasn't really anything else like it at the time.
    The music was pretty good too I guess.

Most of Rare's 3D platformers were pretty terrible tbh. Don't get me started on Donkey Kong 64.

• @el-shmiablo said in Videogame Hot takes:

Don't get me started on Donkey Kong 64.

You said it first so I'm not even coming in hot but I also really don't like DK 64. It just isn't very fun...

I liked Banjo from the vibes but keep in mind that I was really young and didn't think critically of it. But I've gone back and played DK 64 since I own it and I just don't enjoy it at all now let alone then.

Quite honestly, I don't even like Mario 64 that much. The game is so ugly and the camera is infuriating to me. I didn't like it at all when I was little and it was mainly those deep colours that grossed me out. I much preferred Sunshine, but to be fair, I was older and understood games a lot more by then.

• @el-shmiablo said in Videogame Hot takes:

@sheria It's a floaty, generally janky as hell platformer that only got by because there wasn't really anything else like it at the time.
    The music was pretty good too I guess.

Most of Rare's 3D platformers were pretty terrible tbh. Don't get me started on Donkey Kong 64.

Can't argue I guess, can't agree though either.

I play the original Banjo very often and I certainly feel no jank in the control/movement, in fact it's very fluent and precise when using the intended controller.

It definitely benifited by riding off the newness of the 3D platformer but Christ, there were very few around at the time.

• Banned

@dipset There are just so many terrible design choices in DK.
    Collectible that you can only collect if you are playing as a certain character?
    I hope whoever thought that was a good idea was promptly fired.

• Batman: Arkham Knight is the best game in the series in every aspect even though Arkham Knight was not a good character, also presence of the Batmobile is overly exaggerated by gamers in a negative manner even though using it is usually fun.

• Having played a chunk of It Takes Two-me and the friend I was playing with thought the hive level went on way too long.

• Is it me or is Mirror's Edge: Catalyst really boring?

• Banned

@jdincinerator It isn't you. Not a hot take.
    A shame, since I love the first game and wanted that franchise to go somewhere.

• @jdincinerator

I made an Instagram post about how I love the aesthetics and the photo mode in Mirror's Edge Catalyst, but really don't like the game. And the dude who played Icarus followed me lol. So even he knows.

The game is ass boring and the open world design was just terrible. Completely misguided sequel that we didn't ask for.