Unfair Difficulty

• Difficult games are something many gamers are accustomed to thanks the likes of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and Cuphead. These games are loved by their audiences are appreciated for their difficulty but also the sense of accomplishment felt after besting an almighty foe. However, some games are difficult for all the wrong reasons whether through glitches and technical faults, or because the developers went overboard with how difficult they make their title through aspects like level design and enemy attack patterns. One example of a game I found to be a bit too unfairly difficult is Ghostrunner. Ok so Ghostrunner is a decent cyberpunk slasher that feels good to play, but the way enemies can kill you with one hit all the while you as the player have to cut out shields whilst being susceptible to bullets you can't dodge-its design flaws start to expose themselves-and this isn't an example of a game being a fair level of difficult but rather a game that tries to extend playtime through difficulty. You may say this about Super Meat Boy, but Super Meat Boy's platforming is precise and you feel a level of control over your jumps but in Ghostrunner you don't have that level of control. Anyway enough blathering-what games do you consider to be too unfairly difficult through design?

• It's not really what you asked, but the Crushing difficulty in the Uncharted games are definitely unfair. It's not even realistically difficult. At this point, it's like the game is self-aware and is doing everything in it's power to make you quit playing it. The enemies' guns are pretty much laser beams. There's still some sense of satisfaction for me in beating this difficulty (wouldn't have gotten the platinum trophies otherwise), but in a almost masochistic way, which I'm not really sure is a good thing.

Maybe the closest thing to the game being too hard to play for me are the WipEout games, they get too fast at some point, and it's insane.

• @bam541 Ever try Brutal difficulty they added to the PS4 Collection?

Youtube Video

• @e_zed_eh_intern lol I totally missed this, I need to try this when I'm drunk or something.