Plans for Holiday 2020?

• Hey everyone, I imagine most of us will have some time off in December, so I thought it could be fun to share our respective (gaming) plans for the end of the year.

Are you going to binge a massive RPG? Try out your last-gen library on your brand new PS5 or XSX? Catch up on 2020 titles to prepare for GOTY?

And if you're actually going to just spend time with family and stop gaming for a while, that's fine too!

Personally, I'm looking at a 16-day break in the second half of December, and since I can't travel anywhere because of covid, most of it will be dedicated to gaming (I also promised myself I'd work out every day too, no excuses, gotta lose my lockdown belly).

I still don't know if I'll have my PS5 back then, so I kinda have a plan A and a plan B:

• With PS5: play Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Bugsnax, Astro's Playroom, plus replays of FF VII Remake, Resident Evil 2, and other gorgeous last-gen games
    • Without PS5: tackle my backlog and finally play The Wonderful 101, Prey, Xenoblade Chronicles, Divinity: Original Sin 2 and others

• I'm going to move to Night City.

Very excited for the first Christmas in Portugal after 7 years, not for religious motives or family but because soon the traditional sweets are going be available and as I lost 30 pounds this year I have a nice margin to go wild. But I'm going to miss the British mince pies.

• I'll have my end-of-semester practical exams near the end of December, and I also need to publish my research so it's barely a holiday period for me, lol. I am planning to stay at a remote family home at 31st December, but other than that nothing is set in stone yet.

If the base PS4 version of Cyberpunk turns out well, I'll probably jump on that boat. If not, I got a lot of options: I could continue my DQXI playthrough, replay either MGR Revengeance or Vanquish, or something else entirely. I'll probably finish The Pathless and/or Mafia Definitive Edition relatively soon, and I could get a new game if there's a sale. So overall, it's just like my previous years, except with a pandemic and 2 massive responsibilities looming over everything.

• do absolutely nothing and not have to deal with shitty customers for once in my life this year.

perfect.

• I gotta just book time off. Christmas with the family is canceled because we’re in lockdown again, so it’s just the girlfriend and I.

Problem is that I have offline cuts due at work so taking a break is putting it on the shoulders of one other guy. The problem working for a small company is that it’s never a good time to take a break.

I want to take like 2 weeks tbh but I gotta act soon. If I do, it’ll be finishing up Yakuza 7, starting Cyberpunk 2077, and also finishing up FF7 Remake. I might consider going hard in the paint and trying to do everything in THPS1+2.

I also gotta see a doctor and just get shit done. Put some stuff up around the house, clean up a bit, and all that good stuff. Maybe being stuck at home for 2 weeks will be productive.

• I haven't moved into my office yet because of work from home, but when I went to check the keys worked I was greeted with the lovely surprise that the previous owners left it a complete mess. Cleaning that up is priority number one for me. I also have various work goals I'm trying to get done, but in general I'm going to try and force myself to take a few days off. I have a pretty unhealthy work ethic and I think WFH has really made it hard for me to turn things off, so learning how to do that will be a personal improvement goal for the break.

In terms of fun stuff, Japanese amazon had Person 5 Royal and Ni No Kuni 2 available for reasonable prices because of black friday, so I'm gonna bust those bad boys in. Also considering buying a membership to the Atlanta Zoo/Aquarium, since it pays for itself after like 2 visits.

• I'll probably start on a new review after my current one is up and able to show for the Community Showcase, but in my free time I'm probably going to get deep into Dragon Quest XI S on PS4. I picked it up originally at launch and hated the music, and didn't like how the Switch one looked when I tried that demo, so this is the best of both worlds for me. Plus they upped the frame rate to be all the smoother, so I'm having a really good time so far. I've been waiting the be able to get sucked into the game for so long now, Christmas seems like the perfect chill and jolly time to do that.

Beyond that though, I still haven't finished Last of Us 2, FFVII Remake, Doom Eternal or a few others, so maybe I'll do a backlog sweep before I settle down into the Dragon Quest world. I just have a bad habit of putting down games that I'm enjoying because I don't want to finish them too fast.

• @phbz Not to get too personal, but what was your secret for losing weight over the year? Quarantine and other factors have made it harder to stay as fit as I was when I went out more.

• @happygaming

Changed my eating habits slightly, though the real "secret" was going back to running. First month or so isn't satisfying or easy at all, but once your ass stops dragging it's great not only for the body but for your mind too. I like to do it really early in the morning, 3 or 4 times a week. It only takes 45m/1h of your day and it's worthy. You can listen to music or a podcast while you do it, go in silence and think about shit or just empty your head completely. It's great really!

• probally nothing were in lockdown again

• @phbz

Since I started to live alone I also gain some weight, so I started walking in the evenings for 1-1.5 hours.

• Now that I'm thinking about it, would everyone recommend Dragon Quest or Xenoblade Chronicles now that the definitive edition is on the Switch? I'm tempted.

• @happygaming definitely xenoblade chronicles DE

played the opening of dragon quest 11. thought it was pretty boring and cliche honestly

• Banned

Probably just going to be hanging out with the wife and son, and catching up on my backlog.
    Def going to knock out TLOU2 soon. What an absolute banger of a game this has been so far.

• My december will be as busy as every other month. Not much time for gaming.

I'm still waiting for my PS5. I'll be playing through Demon's Souls once I have it.
    I will also use it to play PS4 games again, as my PS4 broke a month ago...

• Gaming-wise, I like to use this time to catch up on games from the outgoing year that I may have missed.

To that end, I'm not sure whether I want to play Nioh 2 or complete FF7 Remake. I was hoping to get RE3 on sale at Best Buy, but I missed my chance to get it.

• As of now I am on STAY-CATION until January 5th!! I have my birthday in two days, then Christmas, then a whole buncha "nothing" aka reading books, playing games, and watching movies.

On the docket:

• Birthday steak and lobster tails
    • Lots of Canadian Club
    • Christmas turkey, stuffing and lots of Filipino food
    • Boxing Day pizza sale at the best nearby pizza resturant
    • FF7 Remake
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Yakuza 7
    • Halo 3 MCC with the boys
    • Cowboys taking the NFC East on Sunday
    • Rocky V, Rocky Balboa, Creed 1, Creed 2
    • The Sopranos rewatch

Life is goooood. What else should I add to the list? I probably won't wanna play Cyberpunk the whole time. Any must watch movies I missed out on?

• @dipset As time goes on, I find myself preferring The Wire to The Sopranos but you can't go wrong with either. Plus I find The Wire way more depressing so maybe not the best for dead of COVID winter.

I am selling my PS5 tonight and, like DIPSET, I think I will be using my funds to finally jump into FF7 Remake as the deluxe edition is on sale.

Also, happy birthday and have an awesome day, @DIPSET !

• @dipset Happy birthday!

I'm also on vacation as of last weekend, knocked out Yakuza 5 and started Prey and Crash Bandicoot 4 yesterday (while still going strong in Age of Calamity). It's a good week!

• @dipset said in Plans for Holiday 2020?:

On the docket:

• Birthday steak and lobster tails
    • Lots of Canadian Club
    • Christmas turkey, stuffing and lots of Filipino food
    • Boxing Day pizza sale at the best nearby pizza resturant
    • FF7 Remake
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Yakuza 7
    • Halo 3 MCC with the boys
    • Cowboys taking the NFC East on Sunday
    • Rocky V, Rocky Balboa, Creed 1, Creed 2
    • The Sopranos rewatch

Good list aside from the Canadian Club...booze is a much worse poison than cigarettes. If you want something with kick, keep an eye out for Reed's Extra Ginger Brew.