Plans for Holiday 2020?

• Now that I'm thinking about it, would everyone recommend Dragon Quest or Xenoblade Chronicles now that the definitive edition is on the Switch? I'm tempted.

• @happygaming definitely xenoblade chronicles DE

played the opening of dragon quest 11. thought it was pretty boring and cliche honestly

• Probably just going to be hanging out with the wife and son, and catching up on my backlog.
    Def going to knock out TLOU2 soon. What an absolute banger of a game this has been so far.

• My december will be as busy as every other month. Not much time for gaming.

I'm still waiting for my PS5. I'll be playing through Demon's Souls once I have it.
    I will also use it to play PS4 games again, as my PS4 broke a month ago...

• Gaming-wise, I like to use this time to catch up on games from the outgoing year that I may have missed.

To that end, I'm not sure whether I want to play Nioh 2 or complete FF7 Remake. I was hoping to get RE3 on sale at Best Buy, but I missed my chance to get it.

• As of now I am on STAY-CATION until January 5th!! I have my birthday in two days, then Christmas, then a whole buncha "nothing" aka reading books, playing games, and watching movies.

On the docket:

• Birthday steak and lobster tails
    • Lots of Canadian Club
    • Christmas turkey, stuffing and lots of Filipino food
    • Boxing Day pizza sale at the best nearby pizza resturant
    • FF7 Remake
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Yakuza 7
    • Halo 3 MCC with the boys
    • Cowboys taking the NFC East on Sunday
    • Rocky V, Rocky Balboa, Creed 1, Creed 2
    • The Sopranos rewatch

Life is goooood. What else should I add to the list? I probably won't wanna play Cyberpunk the whole time. Any must watch movies I missed out on?

• @dipset As time goes on, I find myself preferring The Wire to The Sopranos but you can't go wrong with either. Plus I find The Wire way more depressing so maybe not the best for dead of COVID winter.

I am selling my PS5 tonight and, like DIPSET, I think I will be using my funds to finally jump into FF7 Remake as the deluxe edition is on sale.

Also, happy birthday and have an awesome day, @DIPSET !

• @dipset Happy birthday!

I'm also on vacation as of last weekend, knocked out Yakuza 5 and started Prey and Crash Bandicoot 4 yesterday (while still going strong in Age of Calamity). It's a good week!

• @dipset said in Plans for Holiday 2020?:

On the docket:

• Birthday steak and lobster tails
    • Lots of Canadian Club
    • Christmas turkey, stuffing and lots of Filipino food
    • Boxing Day pizza sale at the best nearby pizza resturant
    • FF7 Remake
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Yakuza 7
    • Halo 3 MCC with the boys
    • Cowboys taking the NFC East on Sunday
    • Rocky V, Rocky Balboa, Creed 1, Creed 2
    • The Sopranos rewatch

Good list aside from the Canadian Club...booze is a much worse poison than cigarettes. If you want something with kick, keep an eye out for Reed's Extra Ginger Brew.

• Global Moderator

As I'm one of the lucky ones that got my PS5 on launch, I will spend this holiday season with catching up on AC Valhalla, wrap up Astro Bot and perhaps try a hard play-through of FF7 Remake, but we'll see! gotta have time to watch Christmas movies and eat all the (bug) snax as well.

• @E_Zed_Eh_Intern @Axel - Thanks fellas! You're too nice.

Per The Wire vs The Sopranos, I'm definitely in team The Sopranos but they are different enough and achieve such different things in their own right. I think The Wire rightly gets so much praise for being the first and possibly only show to actually tackle the intrinsically complicated nature of power, race, policing, and capitalism all through the lens of a believable scenario.

But I really think The Sopranos doesn't get enough credit for its extremely tight and simple storytelling. Watching an episode is like watching a 40-60 minute play with its own beginning, middle, and end. There aren't any gimmicks with this show. It doesn't pull a Breaking Bad where every episode ends with, "Are they gonna catch Walt next week?!" It just has strong characters and New Jersey as a back drop and that's it. Take in the fact that they use 4:3 aspect ratio and the storytelling still feels intimate and cinematic. Just sit that camera on a tripod and watch the scenes play out. Another thing I love about The Sopranos is that it isn't always dangling some cliffhanger ending over your head about what's going to happen next. Every episode has it's conclusion and the next episode is rarely connected to the previous episode. There is a bit of connecting tissue like Big Pussy working with the FBI, or the FBI building a case on Tony, but those are more like things in the background as opposed to the inner workings of the plot.

Both series ask some hard questions, and again, I think The Sopranos gets overlooked for having some deeper themes. Things like men's mental health, family roles, interracial dating in a conservative family, depression, how religion affects relationships. As an Italian Canadian, I've personally seen religious hypocrisy in my own community, where people will look down on divorced families, but then live trapped in miserable marriages themselves. So the show is almost cathartic in tastefully showing these inner challenges without finger wagging. In the grand scheme of things those questions aren't as hard hitting as The Wire's exploration of policing and gangs within cities, but both series are super challenging without being on the nose about it.

--

I only want to do my rewatch of the series because A) it's the best and feels like a warm blanket, and B) the prequel film The Saints of Newark is releasing in March 2021, so I may as well lead into that with a full head of steam. My expectations for the film are pretty nonexistent, but it's written by David Chase so it's probably solid.