Backlog Sorting

• How do you guys sort out the backlog of all the games you want to play? I've got way too many games I want to play and I find myself without knowing where to start and how to summon enough enthusiasm to play them all. I was thinking of playing them in alphabetical order but I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this.

• For me, I sort them into different PS4 folders. So I've got one that's the "Backlog Slog", another is "No Stressin' for Decompressin'" and "Rainy Day Replay" among others. I just find that having things separated into other folders and categories beyond just a backlog helps me to feel out what I'm wanting for a given day instead of it all being a huge overbearing pile.

• I just leave them. One day, one comes to mind so I pull it out. Sometimes it's good enough to keep going, sometimes it goes right back to where it came from. I feel like if I made an ordered list, I would never even start because I would never feel like playing them in the same order the next day or any day after that.

• I use Backloggery to keep track

https://www.backloggery.com/CWEENY

How I decide which games to play in what in order? For the most part I play what I feel like. I don't like to play series out of order, this often extends to spiritual successors and spin-offs as well.

I also try to also switch genres and platforms, not to play 2 games from the same genre in a row because I k now I can get burned out. I need variaty.

The side effect for this is that it takes me FOREVER to get through a big game series because I don't play them back to back.

• I order mine by year, and play them in that order too. I don't exclusively play old games though, I intersperse the older stuff with newer games or ones that interest me. I spend about 1/3 of my time playing games focused on backlog.

• @jdincinerator said in Backlog Sorting:

How do you guys sort out the backlog of all the games you want to play? I've got way too many games I want to play and I find myself without knowing where to start and how to summon enough enthusiasm to play them all. I was thinking of playing them in alphabetical order but I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this.

I like to let myself naturally be reminded of games I own (from someone bring it up on forums, podcasts, youtube, etc. or just naturally thinking about the game). If that little moment makes me go "I really want to play that now that I've been reminded!" I will put it on a short list of games I want to play soonish. I refer to that list whenever I'm unmotivated about what to play.

• I also use Backloggery, it's very convenient, clear and customizable.

I never force myself to play something I don't feel like, but I do try to keep the number of games I play at the same time to a minimum, ideally no more than 2 on the same platform.

I also switch up genres, for example if I'm playing a long-ass RPG like Xenoblade Chronicles, I'll also play a couple smaller games on the side, so I don't get burnt out and I still get to see my backlog numbers go down regularly.

There's also the 12-in-12 thread on these forums, where you pick 12 games you aim to finish at the start of the year and try to get them done by the end. We all fail it every time but it's a fun challenge!

• I use ggapp.io, it's like Letterboxd but for games. It's still kinda barebones in features but it's enough for me. I also group my games to folders on the PS4 like HappyGaming did. I usually let my mood decide whether I want to tackle my backlog or not. I try not to see it as "must finish these games" and more like "I need to at least try these games for a bit", and if I really want to finish a game, then I do just that.

• I have a backlog folder where I keep 6 to 10 games. It helps me to keep things under control.