Raging Rants

• I don't know about you but I think this forum could do with a dedicated rant page where we can all sound off about something that's getting to us in the realm of videogames. Of course they don't need to be raging, they can just be passionate and witty and give us a way to express our opinions in a lengthier format than usual. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

• Takes a deep breath

HOW THE F**K THAT OVERWATCH WON GOTY AGAINST UNCHARTED 4!!!???

• Banned

• @el-shmiablo Ahh right you got to this two years before I did. I don't really want to emphasize hatred though.

• Banned

@jdincinerator It was more just the play on words. Everything is the opposite of Easy Allies: Love and Respect.

• I get that lots of people don't like reading reams and reams of text but this thread is all about getting those thoughts out in an elongated fashion if you wanted to-or keep it brief if you prefer that of course. I love ranting at length so I'll get started with a topic about games that click with me and why that's the case from my understanding.

There are so many videogames out there and more and more we're seeing the same ideas being mainstreamed and perpetuated that the industry seems a lot shallower now than it did back in the noughties-probably because making money is a greater concern than making art. The Souls series has amassed a huge following and the likes of Bloodborne and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice have accelerated the appeal, but the growth of wannabes are sprouting up to try and get a piece of that juicy market who craves the Souls series like Ronald McDonald craves burgers. Of course each of these games boasts their unique selling points, but what do games like Lords of the Fallen, Ashen and Mortal Shell do they do to stand out besides remind us that the Souls games exist?

The same shallowness applies to many genres of games out there, some even take to borrowing ideas from entirely different games to make them more appealing such as how the racing game ONRUSH adopts a colour scheme and attitude evoking Fortnite, and how there are many, many generic influences in Days Gone such as the post-apocalyptic open-world with crafting, upgrades and zombie-like enemies-but oh this time it has a bike in it. I liken this shallowness to how child characters plus Smithers in The Simpsons rush to buy the new Malibu Stacy doll where Lisa points out that the only difference is that she now wears a hat. Games are more inspiring and mean far more than regurgitative ideas that we've seen a thousand times before.

The games I find very attractive and I'm far more likely to finish are those that have a hook to them that makes them stand out in the field of me-too and samey videogame experiences. A Plague Tale: Innocence grabbed me because of its opening and the fact you play as children, What Remains of Edith Finch hooked me because you play and experience the story of what happens to the characters, Bugsnax stands apart because of the fusion between bugs and snacks, although it's heavily influenced by Pokemon it manages to induce a sense of wonder whilst also being quite heartfelt too. Some of these games do boast ideas that have been done but because they haven't been done to death I am more inclined to keep going with them, especially if they are short and focused.

When games are huge open-worlds I look for meaningful and diverse activities to do in the world, characters we love and can invest in, as well as a world of unpredictability that keeps the game engaging. As much as I find Assassins Creed games addicting, I don't necessarily find them too pleasurable to play because the emphasis seems to be about exploring for hours on end rather than caring about what's going on inside the world that demands your investment. I want games to make me care about spending hundreds of hours outside of questing that requires I perform the same activities over and over and over again. When you have the likes of The Witcher III: Wild Hunt out there where there's always something intriguing to discover, the characters are always interesting, and the world sparkles with idyllic beauty-then settling for anything less than that makes open-world games seem meaningless to me. Player agency is of key importance otherwise why on earth would you bother or care about what's going on? Sure games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is amazingly big and it doesn't have a huge story that you care about, but the way the game makes its open-world a pleasure to play is why many adore it because the possibilities are seismic as well as the world itself.

If the industry embraced new ideas instead of recycling the same concepts over and over again without producing an effort like they just slapped a hat on it and called it a day-then the excitement about games should be much richer. Why do you think people are going ape about Cyberpunk 2077? Because CD Projekt Red have put an emphasis on crafting a rich and expansive world with complexities and it looks to be stuffed full of intrigue as well. The same goes for Red Dead Redemption 2, it's not just the size, but the wealth of activity, the diverse characters and the underlying in-game politics and matter that makes the world far grander and exciting. Proper effort in open-world games requires a sense that what goes on it matters and that what you do in it is absorbing, not just huge but rewarding and makes you want to keep playing.

When we get Assassins Creed and Call of Duty every year or two, our expectations are predictable because we know what to expect and what there is might be highly entertaining, but they lack that extra oomph the way the most exciting and best games possess to keep us interested. I didn't play Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey as much as their predecessors because I felt the fatigue and I knew what I was in for-but this time the games were far larger. With Call of Duty the campaigns are afterthoughts and they are brief, at least they are memorable and entertaining-but it's the same thing each and every time without any radical changes, but we keep buying them year-on year meaning that changes aren't going to happen unless we convince them to do so.

• @jdincinerator FYI, I might read this if you broke it up into separate posts.

• @e_zed_eh_intern I could do that but it'd be like spamming.

• Why I bought a PS4 Pro instead of a PS5

Winter 2020 is a time of excitement after a long hard year of grimness and misery. A new generation of hardware has come out and gamers are giddy to get their hands on it whether it be a PS5 or an Xbox Series S/X. I however, decided to buy a PS4 Pro and I’m damn happy with it-because then I don’t have to join the parade of chasing a PS5 chicken around a cyber farmyard trying to obtain one.

Now I appreciate that a new generation of hardware brings fresh and hopeful excitement for the future of videogames and that many people want a piece of that action-but besides the improved specs and visual quality-there is very little reason to jump ship immediately. PS5s sole (pun unintended) exclusive is Demon’s Souls, a hard and ruthless game that rewards patience and perseverance-and all the other Playstation exclusive games can also be purchased on a PS4-making the leap unnecessary and costly at this time. There is nothing wrong waiting a few months for the PS5s library to mature a bit before buying in.

Now as far as innovation is concerned, I am not impressed by the PS5 at all let alone the Series X. Ok it looks shinier and will be a huge technical improvement which will eventually show its true potential in time. However, where is the huge game-changer here? The Nintendo Switch has more innovation and quirkiness in its fingernail than either the Series X or PS5 can manage in their entire bodies. I know saying something like this might make me a bitter grumpy man because I couldn’t get a PS5 at launch-but if I wanted one I would have pre-ordered it-but I love PS4 and celebrate what it has given us throughout these marvellous seven-years of its existence.

The reason a PS4 Pro is worth the investment right now is that it is a stopgap if you don’t own one and aren’t convinced or cannot track down a PS5 that hasn’t been scalped. PS4 Pro is readily available and you can find one for roughly £200 on Ebay (that’s what I paid) and you will bear witness to a library of excellent games while the PS5 is too busy promoting the PS4s library with its huge Playstation Plus freebie bundle. It’s clear PS4 is still where the attention lies and the PS5 launch doesn’t have the luxury that PS4s launch did-because the latter had several exclusives and that made getting a PS4 far more tempting, whereas PS5 showcases itself like the scene in The Simpsons episode Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy where all the Springfield girls and Waylon Smithers rush to the toy store to buy the new doll simply because it has a new hat on its head.

As is inevitably the case with this overstuffed consumer culture we live in, we feel we must get the newest hardware, so we are up-to-date and modernised with new technology. I believe it’s capitalistic manipulation that even I am susceptible to, but if we reserve a bit of decorum and patience we can be rewarded in time with a PS5 and it’ll be a whole lot sweeter because the library would have opened up and stock would be plentiful enough for us to welcome this new generation with open arms.

• @jdincinerator I don't think the answer to waiting for the right time to buy a PS5 was to buy a PS4 Pro.

• @mbun Fair enough but I see it as a suitable stopgap.

• I hate being forced to use a thumbstick for certain games where I should be allowed to use a D-Pad. It's my personal preference but I'm much more comfortable on one than a stick. I understand not every game works that way, I don't need to play a first person shooter or game with a 3D environment with the D Pad, but if it's a 2D game, a sidescroller, something similar, I hate being restricted to that stick.

I started WinterMoore Tactics Club today and you can use the D Pad to move. Most of the time. On the map you need the stick. In battle you can only use the stick. Especially for a top down strategy game about moving on a grid, I don't like trying to make subtle bjnary button presses using something on a circle. If a game forces me to use the stick when I genuinely feel it would be more comfortable otherwise, there's a large chance I'm not going to be as invested as I could be otherwise, and may even put the game down. Let me use the D Pad.

• Followup, I've got a big thing about HUD showing. Ideally I prefer to have it turn itself off, or be unobtrusive, but sometimes it just needs to be there for the game to work effectively and that's fine. I don't always need the option.

I really hate playing first person games with cross hairs though. I couldn't say what it is. If I'm holding a gun, I don't mind for the most part, but if I'm just looking around in something like Amnesia, What Remains of Edith Finch, or others, let me turn it off. I want to look around and enjoy the scene. I get completely distracted by a little dot on the center of my screen that never goes away. It takes me out of everything in a way that doesn't realistically make any rational sense, but my focus just goes to that dot like a fly buzzing around the room, and I hate that. Please let me turn that little dot off. Give me the option. Let me resize it. Let me set how opaque it is. Because when it's there it really hampers how much I am enjoying looking around and taking a knee.

• @happygaming
    On the subject of HUDs I like how in MGS5 you can change weather it sticks to the left or right side of the screen, flips when you flip shoulders, is static (always on), pops up when aiming a weapon, and if I remember correctly you can even set the opacity of it.

• New thoughts:

I hate when I'm playing a first person game and I have no body when I look down. It can really mean the difference for me being more invested in a character and what's happening to them, and feeling absolutely nothing about them.

This is on a whole different line of thought, and is going to be a wildly unpopular opinion, but I really hate trophies and their notifications. There are times where I'll go back after I beat a game to get trophies I missed (my girlfriend is more of a completionist and trophy hunter than I am) but I genuinely dislike them. I don't need to be told I did a cool thing by jumping for the first time. I don't need the game to tell me to go out of my way to do something cool in a sort of metagame way. I'll do it myself. Sometimes they'd pop up and spoil that I'd finished the game in something like Uncharted 3 where the cutscene came up, the gold trophy popped up after, and I was like "well, I guess there's no more game here now...?" There was a genuine sense of relief when I just turned those puppies off. It was like I could enjoy playing a game again just as a game, like how I did with all of my older systems growing up; just me and a game.