Vote for the forum's GOTY 2009!

• Yup, just like that, let's have ourselves a little holiday GOTY election! We're still going backwards in time, entering a new decade, starting with 2009.

For those who don't know the concept, you can check out all the past threads here.

Here's the rules:

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, but you must provide at least a Top 4.

Votes are secret!! Don't post them here and instead send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) for the first time in 2009, with the following caveats:

• "Straight" ports to new platforms in 2009 (such as Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 on PS3) are not eligible.
    • "Enhanced" ports, with some new content/features are also not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions (like Spore Galactic Adventures) are not eligible.
    • Games in beta / early access are not eligible.
    • Stand-alones (such as Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 – Uprising) are eligible.
    • Full remakes (like Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride or Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon) are eligible.

To make sure you don't forget anything, I've compiled a non-exhaustive list of eligible games in the post below. If a game you liked is not in this list but fits the criteria, feel free to vote for it anyway!

If you're unsure whether a game is eligible or not, ask in this thread and we'll discuss it.

Don't stress, the votes will close somewhere in January, to give everyone time to see this thread. I'll compile the results and publish them here as a countdown.

Let's do this!

• Suggested list of eligible games:

January

Moon, The Lord of the Rings: Conquest, Skate 2, The Maw, Afro Samurai, DJ Max Fever.

February

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, Deadly Creatures, F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, OneChanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers, Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad, The House of the Dead: Overkill, Flower, Street Fighter IV, Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS), Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?, Blue Dragon Plus, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, Noby Noby Boy, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Shellshock 2: Blood Trails, Stoked, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix, Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard, Halo Wars, Killzone 2.

March

Empire: Total War, Sonic and the Black Knight, Phantasy Star Portable, Watchmen: The End Is Nigh, Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X, MadWorld, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 – Uprising, Resident Evil 5, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Suikoden Tierkreis, Pokémon Platinum, WWE Legends of WrestleMania, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, Wheelman, Stormrise, Guitar Hero: Metallica, Resistance: Retribution.

April

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, The Godfather II, Ninja Blade, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, The Dark Spire, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2, Velvet Assassin.

May

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Klonoa, Plants vs. Zombies, Killing Floor, Punch-Out!!, Bionic Commando (PS3/X360), inFAMOUS.

June

The Sims 3, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Fuel, Prototype, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Guitar Hero Smash Hits, Anno 1404, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Conduit, Overlord II, Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii), Overlord: Minions (DS), Fight Night Round 4, Battlefield Heroes, Blood Bowl, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Infernal: Hell's Vengeance, Mega Man Star Force 3, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, Rock Band Unplugged.

July

Trine, ARMA 2, The Bigs 2, Battlefield 1943, Unbound Saga, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord, Little King's Story, Splosion Man, Wii Sports Resort, The King of Fighters XII, Fat Princess.

August

Brave: A Warrior's Tale, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Hearts of Iron III, SingStar Queen, Wolfenstein, Shadow Complex, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Cursed Mountain, Batman: Arkham Asylum.

September

Guitar Hero 5, Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, Section 8, Colin McRae: Dirt 2, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Mini Ninjas, The Beatles: Rock Band, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Need for Speed: Shift, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, Scribblenauts, Wet, LostWinds 2: Winter of the Melodias, Katamari Forever, Halo 3: ODST, Order of War, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Dead Space: Extraction, MotorStorm: Arctic Edge, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

October

Wii Fit Plus, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Star Wars: The Clone Wars – Republic Heroes, Demon's Souls, A Boy and His Blob, Afrika, Brütal Legend, Half-Minute Hero, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Machinarium, Tropico 3, Borderlands, Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter, League of Legends, Forza Motorsport 3, Painkiller: Resurrection, Tekken 6, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, DJ Hero, Torchlight, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City.

November

Lego Rock Band, Band Hero, Dragon Age: Origins, Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, Phantasy Star 0 (DS), New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues, Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (PSP), Assassin's Creed II, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet (PSP), Tony Hawk: Ride.

December

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, James Cameron's Avatar: The Game, Rogue Warrior, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, The Saboteur, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Guitar Hero: Van Halen, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers.

• Just finished looking through the Wikipedia list, and I actually think that I already got a pretty definitive full list! I won't send my list yet, there might be a few games that I missed, but yeah, this was a pretty easy list for me. Shout out to GTA Chinatown Wars and Gran Turismo PSP, really good portable games that I spend a lot of time on back in the day.

• Banned

I hope you missed my last second entries as much as I missed you, Axel

• @el-shmiablo I expect your answer no sooner than January 31st!

• This year was so insanely good. I feel like I have multiple 5x playthrough / 100h games on here.

Now, how am I supposed to pick between Shellshock 2 and 50 Cent Blood on the Sand?

• GameTrailers 2009 GOTY:

Youtube Video

• I'm surprised this list is coming in when 2020 is almost completed, but I'm not complaining! Also, this is the first of a set of three retro years (pending we still go in reverse chronology) where I can potentially talk about a LOT of games, not just what I'm voting for. Will send my votes as soon as I can (I'm writing this while on a mini-break at work and don't have access to my GOTY doc).

• My votes are in. I had a list of 22 games from 2009 to choose from. No drama for the top 3 spots but it was difficult deciding the other spots. I look forward to sharing my list and seeing what made the top 25!

• It'd be good to see PSP or DS love in the top 25!

• I played virtually no new games in 2009. It may very well be my most empty gaming year ever.

• The GameTrailers GOTY 2009 was hilariously controversial and watching that back in hindsight, the only controversial piece to me, is referring to MW2 as "liquid crack" haha. Idk how that passed editorial.

It's funny because back then we'd praise games for being addicting but now it's a hot button issue with sounds and images coming on screen just at the right time to give kids that dopamine rush.

That GOTY 2009 controversy wouldn't have even been controversial if GameTrailers didn't give MW2 a better "story" score than other games, then proceeded to give it Best PS3 Game, Best 360 Game, Best PC game. Then Shane backed it up by saying "Uncharted 2 didn't do anything new" which is rich when you give MW2 GOTY. But again, in hindsight, everybody was playing MW2 and it's a pretty awesome game despite being infuriating to no end and the story making no sense past a certain point.

That was also when the DLC controversies were at their peak. Clearly the anti-DLC crowd lost that battle. But at least Activision doesn't charge $25 for 4 mediocre maps, 1-2 of which are remakes.

• Votes sent. Excited for this countdown.

• Got my votes in! Excited to see how this one plays out.

• Apparently, League of Legends official title upon release was League of Legends: Clash of Fates. I never knew this until I just looked it up.

It's kind of insane how much that game changed the world.

• @brannox Yeah I'm planning on doing the 2020 GOTY later than usual (in part to compensate for next-gen unavailability), so I figured we could do a retro one in the meantime!

As usual, when I first gave a cursory glance at the list of 2009 games, I thought what a crap year! But after going through all of it, there's quite a lot of classics in there (a lot of trash too though).

My GOTY is a very easy choice, but it's gonna be a tough battle for the other spots.

• Wait. There is no way in hell LittleBigPlanet released in November 2009. That was supposed to be 2007 and delayed to 2008 and released at random because of the issue with the word Quran being in some copies.

I vividly remember that being 2008. Is this list correct?

Edit:

Yeah, Wiki is showing October 2008. But I guess there was a PSP version also called LittleBigPlanet that I’ve never heard of. So just beware that this is not the original PS3 version of LBP.

I’m gonna pull from this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_in_video_games

• @dipset Yep there was a LittleBigPlanet on PSP which is why it's on the list. LBP on PSP is great stuff if you're not looking for any multiplayer.

• Looking at this list, I now see in hindsight why my friends used to make fun of me for playing so much PS3. I swear to god I played sooooo many games from 2009.

Even the smaller titles were good: Overlord II, Battlefield 1943, Fat Princess, Wipeout HD Fury, Critter Crunch, NHL 10, Gran Turismo PSP, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, hell, even Wheelman was amusing (but not good, lol).

This year was really damn good. Idk how I had money to even play all of these games back then.

--

Just putting out the PSA that The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena was not only an expansion / sequel (I don't actually know what they consider that game), but it also included a remake of the original classic Escape From Butcher Bay. And once you play the remake, there is no going back to the original because the atmosphere is through the roof.

Here is a super interesting article about the creation of that game. A lot of the staff who made Riddick and The Darkness now work for or might've even founded Machine Games (new Wolfenstein series):

GRAND SLAM BUILDING THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAULT ON DARK ATHENA
    0_1608225862717_header.jpg

• Just sent my votes in! I also feel it's my duty/obligation to remind people that Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days came out in 2009