Vote for the forum's GOTY 2009!

• Wait. There is no way in hell LittleBigPlanet released in November 2009. That was supposed to be 2007 and delayed to 2008 and released at random because of the issue with the word Quran being in some copies.

I vividly remember that being 2008. Is this list correct?

Edit:

Yeah, Wiki is showing October 2008. But I guess there was a PSP version also called LittleBigPlanet that I’ve never heard of. So just beware that this is not the original PS3 version of LBP.

I’m gonna pull from this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_in_video_games

• @dipset Yep there was a LittleBigPlanet on PSP which is why it's on the list. LBP on PSP is great stuff if you're not looking for any multiplayer.

• Looking at this list, I now see in hindsight why my friends used to make fun of me for playing so much PS3. I swear to god I played sooooo many games from 2009.

Even the smaller titles were good: Overlord II, Battlefield 1943, Fat Princess, Wipeout HD Fury, Critter Crunch, NHL 10, Gran Turismo PSP, Motorstorm Arctic Edge, hell, even Wheelman was amusing (but not good, lol).

This year was really damn good. Idk how I had money to even play all of these games back then.

--

Just putting out the PSA that The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena was not only an expansion / sequel (I don't actually know what they consider that game), but it also included a remake of the original classic Escape From Butcher Bay. And once you play the remake, there is no going back to the original because the atmosphere is through the roof.

Here is a super interesting article about the creation of that game. A lot of the staff who made Riddick and The Darkness now work for or might've even founded Machine Games (new Wolfenstein series):

GRAND SLAM BUILDING THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ASSAULT ON DARK ATHENA
    0_1608225862717_header.jpg

• Just sent my votes in! I also feel it's my duty/obligation to remind people that Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days came out in 2009

• @dipset I noticed a couple games in the same situation as LittleBigPlanet for that year, same title but a fully different game. Maybe it would be worth adding the platform in brackets next to those to avoid confusion, I'll try to do a pass on the list later.

Everyone try to do your due diligence too ;)

• There's so much here I saw at Sierra's last preview event before they went and got purchased. And so much here I only saw or played at said event.

• Can I participate if my list is less than 8 games?

Nevermind, I realized we only need 4 games :)

• Wow, looking at this list reminded me of how excited I was for Lord of the Rings Conquest. I actually managed to have fun with it, but it was undeniably disappointing.

• I've put mine in. It was quite tough to narrow it down actually.

• PSA....dragon age origins... PSA OVER.

Thought this was a pretty bad year for me since this was at a time when I didn't really buy myself games, but there are a surprising amount of some of my faves games hidden in there.

• Ha, there's a lot of games in 2009 that I played at release, and even more that I've played at all. That being said, I don't have very strong feelings for many of them. I feel way more strongly about the games as part of their series, but that particular entry didn't particularly speak to me.

Still got 8 games together, but I didn't need to obsess over the order.

• It hurt me with only eight eligible. I had to regretfully leave off Secret Files 2, The Legendary Starfy and Magna Carta II, all of which I loved.

• I gave my votes, that was a pretty easy job. Had to cut only four games to form my group of eight beauties.

• Bumping up the thread to remind everyone to vote, and also to add a PSA: Bayonetta is not eligible, it came out in the West in January 2010 (it was eligible when we did that year).

I already got 4 different people voting for it this time around, and those people didn't vote for it in 2010, so looks like it slipped through the cracks back then.

• @axel Looking back at your recap post, this is extra brutal because Bayonetta lost off a tiebreaker to even place on the list.

Bummer for Bayonetta.

• i'm voting for Bayonetta.

• Stop the count! Bayoneta won by a lot!

• I'll give a few shout-outs to make sure some games aren't forgotten!

• Dead Space: Extraction: The best on-rails shooter I've ever played, neatly used all the features of the Wiimote and was a faithful addition to the series, cleverly reused assets from the original game and looked almost as good. Don't skip it!
    • Ghostbusters: The Video Game: A basic third-person shooter elevated by its original script and OG cast. Essentially a sequel to the two movies. Absolutely worth a playthrough if you're a fan. You can play the remastered version on all modern consoles.
    • Shadow Complex: A very tight and polished metroidvania, before the indie craze made the genre ubiquitous. Great map and controls.
    • Halo 3: ODST: One of my favorite Halo games, a fun side-story with some of the Firefly cast! Original city setting, cool level design.
    • WWE Legends of WrestleMania: The game that made me follow wrestling again, it had simple gameplay but tons of characters, everyone I loved from my childhood.
    • The House of the Dead: Overkill: Another great on-rails shooter for the Wii, had a plastic revolver attachment bundled with it. Super silly and borderline disturbing plot and writing, I'd love a remaster for this one.

• Global Moderator

Oh I had missed this thread coming up! I will make a list and send over ASAP!

• @axel

This kinda goes to my point that even the less popular games from 2009 were actually really good. I actually enjoyed the Ghostbusters game.