Vote for the forum's GOTY 2009!

• PSA....dragon age origins... PSA OVER.

Thought this was a pretty bad year for me since this was at a time when I didn't really buy myself games, but there are a surprising amount of some of my faves games hidden in there.

• Ha, there's a lot of games in 2009 that I played at release, and even more that I've played at all. That being said, I don't have very strong feelings for many of them. I feel way more strongly about the games as part of their series, but that particular entry didn't particularly speak to me.

Still got 8 games together, but I didn't need to obsess over the order.

• It hurt me with only eight eligible. I had to regretfully leave off Secret Files 2, The Legendary Starfy and Magna Carta II, all of which I loved.

• I gave my votes, that was a pretty easy job. Had to cut only four games to form my group of eight beauties.

• Bumping up the thread to remind everyone to vote, and also to add a PSA: Bayonetta is not eligible, it came out in the West in January 2010 (it was eligible when we did that year).

I already got 4 different people voting for it this time around, and those people didn't vote for it in 2010, so looks like it slipped through the cracks back then.

• @axel Looking back at your recap post, this is extra brutal because Bayonetta lost off a tiebreaker to even place on the list.

Bummer for Bayonetta.

• i'm voting for Bayonetta.

• Stop the count! Bayoneta won by a lot!

• I'll give a few shout-outs to make sure some games aren't forgotten!

• Dead Space: Extraction: The best on-rails shooter I've ever played, neatly used all the features of the Wiimote and was a faithful addition to the series, cleverly reused assets from the original game and looked almost as good. Don't skip it!
    • Ghostbusters: The Video Game: A basic third-person shooter elevated by its original script and OG cast. Essentially a sequel to the two movies. Absolutely worth a playthrough if you're a fan. You can play the remastered version on all modern consoles.
    • Shadow Complex: A very tight and polished metroidvania, before the indie craze made the genre ubiquitous. Great map and controls.
    • Halo 3: ODST: One of my favorite Halo games, a fun side-story with some of the Firefly cast! Original city setting, cool level design.
    • WWE Legends of WrestleMania: The game that made me follow wrestling again, it had simple gameplay but tons of characters, everyone I loved from my childhood.
    • The House of the Dead: Overkill: Another great on-rails shooter for the Wii, had a plastic revolver attachment bundled with it. Super silly and borderline disturbing plot and writing, I'd love a remaster for this one.

• Global Moderator

Oh I had missed this thread coming up! I will make a list and send over ASAP!

• @axel

This kinda goes to my point that even the less popular games from 2009 were actually really good. I actually enjoyed the Ghostbusters game.

• Youtube Video

The Ballad of Gay Tony Trailer

the dancing at Bahama Mamas intensifies

• @axel Halo 3: ODST was nothing more than overpriced, glorified DLC.

• @yoshi

I mean, it was DLC was it not? Same with Episodes From Liberty City, but they released them on disc because people had like 1mbps back then.

Could you download ODST, or no? Either way, it probably costs as much as one COD map pack and had a full campaign, a new mode, and all of Halo 3’s multiplayer mode. Pretty good deal compared to the highway robbery Activision had back then.

• @dipset said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2009!:

Could you download ODST, or no?

no. you had to buy the disc to get the ODST campaign. and if you already bought the Halo 3 maps through DLC before then the ODST disc was a complete rip off since the disc came with the DLC anyway.

was overpriced garbage.

• @yoshi

If it was full price, then that’s definitely a rip off.

I know 2009 was coming off the “expansion” era and into the DLC era so an expensive disc based expansion wasn’t too too uncommon with The Chronicles of Riddick and Episodes From Liberty City both in this same year being $40-60 DLC / pseudo-expansions sold in retail stores, but ODST could be beaten in like 4 hours or less so I’d agree that’s a rip off.

For whatever reason I remember it being DLC but come to think of it, I vaguely recall my friend with the disc. I think he also already owned the DLC. I guess that’s when MS was M$

• @dipset said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2009!:

If it was full price, then that’s definitely a rip off.

it was.

it's why i don't trust DLC and Season passes anymore unless the devs have already proven themselves to provide quality content in the past

• @dipset Yeah looks like it was full price: https://kotaku.com/halo-3-odst-priced-like-a-full-game-loaded-with-conten-5274549

I didn't remember that, maybe I bought it later on sale. The campaign is more like 8-10 hours though, but still, probably should have been $40 like a Lost Legacy or Miles Morales.

• @axel miles morales was also too expensive for what it is.

• @yoshi 40 bux for 8-10 hours of game with completely new story and powers seems decent to me.