GYPFTFTTYOTY Awards 2020

• IT'S BACK! After phenomenal support last year (9 posts at last count), the topic you have all been waiting for is here: Game You Played For The First Time This Year Of The Year 2020. Last year's topic had a slightly different name, in case you try to search it (GYPFTFTOTY; this year's adjustments hopefully streamline).

Top 5, top 10, top 1, do whatever you like. Games released in 2020 are not eligible as we will obviously leave that for the GOTY 2020 topic. Let's hear about the best games you played for the first time this year that were released in 2019 or earlier.

• Spider-Man's DLCs were fun, especially Silver Lining.
    Ori 1 was good even though I don't think it is awesome.
    Currently playing Uncharted on PS Vita and it's not bad for a portable game.

• Bloodborne would have been mine, if it weren't for the absolute slice of perfection that is Katana Zero.

1. Fatal Frame
    2. Doshin the Giant
    3. Shadow of Memories
    4. Megaman Legends
    5. Mischief Makers
    6. Ace Combat 2
    7. Gradius Gaiden
    8. Into the Breach
    9. Skygunner
    10. Psychic Killer Toromaru

Something like that.

• Very honored for the chance to cast my votes in this prestigious award. From worst to best:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Had quite a bit of fun with the campaign.

Battlefield 4. The campaign is mediocre trash, but trying out the multiplayer for the first time got me feeling nostalgic of the BF3 days.

Donut County. The gameplay can be a bit too simple at times, but the short length, good music, and jolly vibes help keep things fun.

MediEvil (PS4 Remake). If this game doesn't have frame rate issues, then it would be so much more enjoyable. It's a unique game full of charm and personality.

Concrete Genie. This game reminds me so much of the whimsical children story books, and it's pretty good.

Subsurface Circular. One of the cooler detective games that I have played in recent times.

What Remains of Edith Finch. One of the most aggresively creative games I have ever played.

Hitman 2. I'm so ready to completely eat up Hitman 3 and Project 007. It's a joy to go through IO Interactive's levels, and this one had some of the best yet.

Minit. This one really vibed with me, everything feels just right, except maybe the length, I kinda want it to go for a bit longer than it is.

Ace Combat 2. Really surprised by how well this one held up. Not only it's a fun game to play for historical purposes, it's also just a cool game, period.

I'm only counting games that I have finished, since there's too much games to remember, lol

• Here is my top 10:

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    2. Soulcalibur II
    3. Resident Evil 4
    4. Dead Space 2
    5. Life Is Strange 2
    6. Florence
    7. The Wolf Among Us
    8. Beyond Good & Evil HD
    9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
    10. Tony Hawk's Underground

I finished the first Paper Mario on the Wii Virtual Console about 10 years ago and played The Thousand-year Door for the first time in 2020. Those first 2 Paper Mario games are all-time greats and the new Paper Mario games haven't come close to matching them.

Soulcalibur is my favorite fighting game series despite skipping Soulcalibur 2. Now I can say it's probably my favorite game in the series.

The story of Resident Evil 4 is really stupid but it's a hell of a game. I struggled with controls at first but then a friend gave me some advice, "never use the right stick to control the camera". He was right and the game was much more enjoyable after that.

I played Dead Space 2 after seeing it make the Forum's 2011 GOTY list. Dead Space 2 is an excellent game, full of shocking moments and gruesome deaths. It was nice playing it on PC, being able to unlock the frame rate and max out the settings.

Life Is Strange 2, Florence and The Wolf Among Us are all great well-written story driven games. I won't spoil them here but they all have very strong endings.

Beyond Good & Evil HD is a solid GameCube era action game. It's setting and characters have a unique charm that reminds me of Psychonauts.

Loved me some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 back in the day but I played very little of the later games. After finishing the remake of 1+2, I decided to play through Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and Underground. I didn't think I would enjoy the more open world area's but they were actually a lot of fun.

• In no particular order, I managed to get a few from my lists. I may have had more that I'm forgetting (I probably played some retro games or something on PC, but they're slipping my mind at the moment. So here's what I've got:

Marvel's Spider Man - Technically I started this when it came out, but I played it all the way through and actually got the platinum for this one this year. I got hooked on this game as a huge fan of Spider Man since I was a kid. It nails the feel of the character. I adore this game. I can't wait to play it again on PS5 and I especially can't wait to play Miles Morales!

Mega Man X2 - I was super excited to go through the X series when I was doing my full franchise playthrough (of just original, X and Zero for a writeup I still haven't done). The X series definitely has its highs and lows, and while I still personally like the PS1 trilogy, X2 might be my favorite of the originals minus the first. I think it's a perfect sequel and adds just enough without being overwhelming. Excellent game. Maybe I'll be able to afford an actual cartridge someday.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - This was one of the most pleasant surprises I had this year. I've watched the memes and the popularity and the videos over the years and sort of wrote the franchise off. And after playing it for myself, it was just delightful. I loved the first game to death. Love the characters, I love dunking on people with an 'objection!'. It was one of the reviews I did recently because it was such a pleasant surprise. Here's my review if you want to watch that and missed it in the Community Showcase:

Youtube Video

Detention - Another solid surprise and was the inspiration for my first review. As a longtime fan of Silent Hill and psychological horror, I was so happy with my experience with this one. This game pulls off atmosphere and environmental storytelling paired with cultural history and stories that is both haunting and extremely effecting. I definitely recommend this one if you're a fan of horror!

Youtube Video

Doom 2016 - It took me a long time to get to this one. I knew I'd like it, but I didn't think I'd love it. And to be fair, I didn't love it until after you get through the bridge portion that I thought was the most frustrating portion of the game. It wasn't until I stopped playing it like a modern shooter and started playing it more like the original Unreal Tournament where you just never stop moving and constantly have to consider everything around you that it clicked. It's big, it's loud, it's metal as Hell, and I loved killing demons until the end.

Degrees of Separation - Picked this up for $1. It's definitely worth more than that, especially if you have someone to co-op the puzzles with. My girlfriend and I played this over a couple days. It has wonderful music, really fun couch-co-op puzzles that make you communicate how you're going to solve them, and is just the right length to get through in a couple of sittings if you want to get everything.

Soma - This was another pick from my Halloween playthrough this year. I wasn't as impressed by the horror of this one, probably because I'm so tired of the Outlast run-and-hide-in-a-corner because you have no weapons horror. It's just not scary for me anymore. But the story of this one was actually genuinely impactful. It made me actually stop and think for a couple minutes on more than one occasion before I made a plot decision. The story by the end is the best part of this game, and I think it's my favorite from Frictional to date. Running through mazes and dying over and over wasn't fun to me though.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - I just didn't really enjoy this one. Especially after playing the first one, it made sense why it's as disliked as it is. The story just wasn't impactful or scary to me, made worse by the things taken out of the sequel from the first game. No lantern oil, no limited light sources, no real puzzles. It's just straight walk from the beginning to the end with some dead ends. All the doors are barred off, and you just feel like you're being funneled through the game. I did like the atmosphere of the house though on a positive note.

Never Alone - I got this for PS+ years ago, but didn't play it until this year. This was another co-op adventure with the girlfriend and I was really impressed with this one. Some of the platforming is a little splashy, but the way the developers captured the stories and culture of the Inupiat people was fascinating and gave us really awesome perspectives on people who have a very different way of life and history than where we're from. I really hope that they make more games like this with other cultures to preserve stories!

Mario's Picross - Not a lot to say about this one, I just really love Picross and have a great time playing this on the couch. Initially I picked it up to try it out and just got absolutely hooked.

Link's Awakening (Remake) - Link's Awakening is probably my favorite Zelda game ever. I'm typically more of a 2D Zelda over the 3D games, so this with something like Oracle of Ages/Seasons and some others. With this being so high on my scale, I was a little scared picking it up and having the game altered in ways I didn't agree with. I have to say though, besides the font choice and some frame-rate issues that could probably have been solved by having the screen scroll like the original, I think this is just so genuinely charming and lovable! I still prefer the look of the GameBoy original, but I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Honorable Mentions

Hollow Knight - I started it on the Switch not this year, but I intend to finish it this year on PS4. Still playing this one, it's longer than I thought.

The Missing - I think I played this in late 2019, so it's disqualified. I remember playing it while I was listening to the EZA Joker Spoiler Mode, so that puts it about late October of that year. Still awesome if people haven't played it.

• I technically started playing Dragon Quest V a couple years ago, but my save file got corrupted and I never finished. This year I started fresh and made it to the end. This game is one of the greats. I have no idea why it isn't talked about in the same way as Final Fantasy VI and Crono Trigger (my top 2 games of all time). It is legitimately perfect. I also started and finished DQIV and XIs this year, both of which I loved, but V just rocked me in a way few games have. Please play this game.

• @e_zed_eh_intern I guess you could call it "Backlog Game of the Year"? But GYPFTFTTYOTY is a perfectly fine and easy to remember name too!

My backlog highlights this year, in no particular order:

• The Talos Principle: Excellent puzzle game, and very powerful writing and narrative design too. Liked it more than The Witness.

• Final Fantasy VIII Remastered: I had started it a few times in the past but never went all the way. It's pretty good, the story goes a bit too much off the rails to my taste but still works. The combat system is weirdly balanced, feels like you either don't get it and struggle or know what to do and easily become OP. Kick-ass soundtrack and Triple Triad alone is worth spending a couple dozen hours on.

• Resident Evil HD Remaster: Another one I had started in the past but not finished. It's a classic even though some parts are a bit antiquated by now.

• Luigi's Mansion 3: Hardly counts because I played most of it in 2019, but it was an absolute delight from beginning to end. Awesome game to co-op with a less skilled partner too. Super creative in its environments and encounters, every new floor feels like a surprise gift you can't wait to unwrap.

• SOMA: One of the best uses of the videogame medium when it comes to storytelling, it's very thought-provoking and I found myself legitimately hesitating and reluctantly doing what the game wanted me to do in several occasions. The horror works well too, but enemy encounters can become frustrating.

• Darksiders Genesis: Super fun top-down action game, also very suited to co-op. Great artstyle, it looks gorgeous on occasions even on Switch.

• Bloodborne: My first Souls game, it was... an experience. I feel like you either love or hate those games, but I'm sort of in-between, I clearly liked it enough to finish it, and it was all I could think about while I was going through it, but I was also relieved once I finished it and don't feel the urge to play another game in that genre, at least not for a while. Maybe Elden Ring will be the one to bring me back?

• Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales: Finished it very recently, it's an excellent RPG with some very tough decisions to make, the card battles are fun although they tend to overstay their welcome by the end. It's a huge game, definitely worth it if you like the genre and/or the Witcher universe.

• I barely play any games so I don't really have to filter them. These are the games that I played this year for the first time in order from most to least favourite.

Persona 5: I mean, it's Persona 5, it's fantastic.

HITMAN 2: One of my favourite series of the decade, I'm hotly anticipating the sequel coming in just 5 weeks time. I'm planning on spending a lot of time with it!

Resident Evil 2 Remake: Brilliant game. Really really enjoyed it.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard: Again, brilliant game. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. It has a great movie night vibe to it. Great for playing with my girlfriend, chatting about the story as we explored the mansion and the ship later on.

What Remains of Edith Finch: I intended to play this at the beginning of the year and I did. What I liked most about the game was the House itself. How you navigated through it, and around, hearing the stories of the Finch Family. Best Game to Play in one Night.

Bloodborne: Despite Dark Souls being one of the best games ever made in my opinion, I'm really behind on From Softwares series. I now have only Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro to go, both of which I'll be getting through in 2021 ready for what I reckon will be a 2022 Elden Ring release. Bloodborne is interesting to me. It despite being placed in the same genre, it doesn't feel like a Souls game to me. It feels more streamlined. More an Action/Adventure than an RPG. It feels like theres a lot less fat. I enjoyed it but I didn't LOVE it like I did Dark Souls.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice: Honestly, this game is really pretty and tells an interesting story but looking back on it, I don't have any particular love for it. Hoping for something special from the sequel.

Pokemon Y: I beat this just because I got it for Christmas years ago as a present from my Mum and I never finished it. She passed away in 2018, and she didn't have a lot of money to buy me stuff, so I've been trying to make sure I've beaten every game she's bought me. I enjoyed the 3D aspect of the game a lot but I didn't find it particularly memorable.

• My GYPFTFTTYOTY 2020 Awards:

Gears 3
    Dead Space 2
    Okami
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Gears 2
    Life is Strange 2
    Gears 1
    Halo ODST
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Nier: Automata

• I'll rank all the pre-2020 games I've beaten for the first time this year

1. Persona 4 Golden (PSVita)
    2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
    3. Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition (PS4)
    4. Yakuza: Kiwami (PS4)
    5. F-Zero GX (GCN)
    6. Fantastic Journey (Saturn)
    7. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)
    8. Castlevania: Chronicles (PS)
    9. Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)
    10. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (NDS)
    11. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)
    12. Ratchet & Clank: Nexus (PS3)
    13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch)
    14. Gears of War: Judgment (360)
    15. The Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall (PC)

• 13 Sentinels.
    alt text

1. Guacamelee 2
    2. Hollow Knight

• I managed to make a large dent in my Backlog due to me "working from home" most of the year. A few of the highlights were:-

Resident Evil 7- Not sure why I waited this long to play this as I'm a fan of the series. I really enjoyed the direction they decided to go & will not make the same mistake waiting on 8.

Resident Evil Zero- Another one I put off playing due to middling reviews & the inventory system complaints. Turns out the inventory never bothered me. I enjoyed this just as much as Remake.

Rayman Origins & Legends- Fantastic platformers. Controls are tight levels are so inventive. It's a shame Ubisoft has obviously so much talent at their studios who's creativity has been stemmed making copy & paste games every year.

Gears of War 1-3. Tried the first game a few times over the years never clicked with me. Finally got through the remasted version that was a bit easier to digest. I still thought I was just okay though, but 2 & 3 are great popcorn blockbuster games. As good as any 3rd person action adventure games as any.

Days Gone- Ended up really liking this one on spite of itself. No game should take 20 hours to get good. The first map was a slog. Any other year I would have dropped it but I persevered & the last 20 hours or so was mostly a joy especially once you're powerful enough to take on the hordes.