Tackle the Backlog -12 in 12 for 2021
734Games last edited by
got to respect that i just finished the Darkness 2 and now i am finishing the Killer is dead.
Just finished Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5. I have so many problems with the game, but I think the fundamentals of the combat system, the story, soundtrack, and the unique vibe of each world are strong enough to make them more forgivable for me. It took a while for the combat to get really good, and even then it still feels clunky as heck, but I managed to get myself to a point where I was absolutely wrecking fools by mashing my keyblade, so it's all good. The writing style of the story is certainly an acquired taste, but I'm actually digging it, since it just feels inherently wholesome to me, and I can forgive a few annoying story moments because of it. The soundtrack is just a joy to listen to, even with most of the tracks being pretty short loops. I think most of the worlds' level design can be either too cramped or not too fun to explore (at least until you get all the shared abilities later on), but I think they did a fine job of making each world to be a fun small showcase of their respective series'. Other than those, there are less forgivable parts like the boring Gummi ship sequences (which are held back even more by the obtuse Gummi ship building system) and the item synthesis system that doesn't feel useful to me, but since you can ignore/sidetrack these, I don't exactly hold a grudge against them. Also, my favorite world has to be...
100 Acre Woods, followed closely by Hollow Bastion
Overall, it's quite the swimming in sevens experience. There's a ton of room for improvements, and I hope to see them in the sequels. Next up is Chain of Memories, so that's gonna be interesting. (7/10)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Strike Vector EX
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Dirt Rally 2.0
Mega Man 11
Hotline Miami 2
Axel last edited by Axel
Reviving this thread a bit for an update. I'm at 9/12 completed so far this year, but I imagine the second half of the year will be more busy with new releases so I'm not sure the needle will move anymore.
I'll give a succinct review for all my completed games so far:
- Prey: Amazing immersive sim, amazing horror game, amazing sci-fi world. Would probably have found a spot in my top games of the decade if I'd finished it earlier.
- Return of the Obra Dinn: Super clever and original, a few frustrating aspects but overall such a unique and memorable experience.
- Yakuza 6: The Song of Life: The culmination of the Kiryu saga, I found myself more engrossed in the story than most other games in the series, probably my favourite alongside Zero. Also so fun to see all those NJPW wrestlers in there!
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity: Had a blast playing this in coop with my girlfriend, it definitely gets grindy but I enjoyed every second of it, I'll probably dive back in for the DLC.
- Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: I have such a love/hate relationship with the Xenoblade series, but there's definitely way more positive than negative in this one. Excellent cast and plot, some truly epic and emotional moments, and that open-world formula is so good it makes it hard to go back to old-school JRPGs afterwards. Can't wait for the next Monolith Soft game.
- Final Fantasy IX: So maybe it's because I played it shortly after Xenoblade, or just don't have the nostalgia for it, but I felt it was the weakest overall of the PS1 trilogy. A few characters are duds (Amarant, Quina), the gameplay systems and the world are a throwback but I just found them too simplistic. It still has a lot going for it, don't get me wrong, but it never fully clicked with me.
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps: A perfect Metroidvania, gorgeous, touching, and it plays like a dream. The way you can string Ori's movements together makes you feel so powerful and free, it's a masterpiece of 2D gameplay and level design.
- Astro's Playroom: Still the only truly next-gen game I've played so far, and one of the jolliest, most delightful games ever. If this team ever gets the chance to make a "full-size" game, I fully expect them to give Nintendo a run for their money, Super Mario Odyssey's got nothing on this little robot. Kudos to the team, it's so polished, detailed, interactive and full of care. What a showcase for the PS5 and the DualSense!
- Bugsnax: Cool concept, weird vibes though. I'd love a Pokemon puzzle/adventure game to reuse some of those ideas though.
How is everyone else doing so far?
Shoulderguy last edited by
Original List: 5/12
Added Games: 3/5
I originally planned to add more games to this list regularly but I keep forgetting to do that. So I'm leaving the list how it is going forward.
Days Gone Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Immortals: Fenyx Rising
- Life Is Strange
- Maneater - (Dropped)
- Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered
- Observer: System Redux
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon
- Concrete Genie
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition Death Stranding
- Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection
Nimbat1003 last edited by Nimbat1003
Axel that Divinity:OS2 standing out a bit there mate.
this holiday is looking pretty scary August onwards so i'm fearful, especially for my list .
now my original LIST...not looking good
-Ghost of tushima
-RE 2 remake
-shadow of the colosus
at least one of
-pathfinder :kingmaker, Xenoblade chronicles, dragon age 3,Yakuza 0 or p5 royal
R&C: RIFT APART
does watching the 4 hour visual novel cont as "beating" this game haha
MASS EFFECT 3
never played any technically have not started yet
GOD OF WAR(PS5 NG+ RUN)
(5 hours) great game just getting in a replay for before 2
(6HOURS) finally starting this with final cut great so far front of que
OMG I FORGOT, put this to the side for mass effect never finished my first run which i must do, will assess the many endings then either playthrough/or youtube
dragons dogma (5 hours) why did i start this again haha.
Ghost of tushima
Persona 5 royal
-Mass effect 1 (8/10)
wasn't on my list but totally a backlog game tried 1 year agoe and quit on one of the stupid mako missions. legendary edition made some great improvements but game lacks environmental diversity especially on side missions and combat is just kinda boring.
the final act (virmire onwards) really saves this game for me absolutely loved how the story progressed past that point and many reveals that i don't remember having beaten 2 twice back in the day.
-mass effect 2 (9.5/10)
i like this a lot more and OMG level variety, also better and deeper conversations with the companions basically better in every way. my only minor complaints are there is quite alot of combat, it's not to bad if u pace it out buy talking on the ship between missions but yes also miss some of the RPG details they really give very little information about the weapon stats etc.
-Spiderman MILES MORALES.(6/10)
obvious quality but just didnt grab me nearly as much as the first and because i kept playing it in 1-2 hour chunks over a couple months and got into the combat much either.
-resident evil 2 (remake) 8.5/10
good fun as not a horror fan might do the b run but short on time.edit:3 hour speed run of leons campaign
Axel last edited by
Axel that Divinity:OS2 standing out a bit there mate.
Haha yeah it's gonna be hard to squeeze it in at this point, HowLongToBeat puts it around 90 hours, that's not gonna happen. Next year!
I just started the Road to Gehenna expansion to Talos Principle so should be able to beat that, but by end of July onwards there will be too many exciting new games coming out for me to play old ones.
From your list I strongly recommend Ori it's amazing and not too long, than maybe Bayonetta. The rest are meaty!
Maybe prioritize finishing Mass Effect 3 since you're on a roll after the first two.
NeoCweeny last edited by
I forgat about this.
I did finish Systel Shock 2 and Shining Force CD since my last post. System Shock was fantastic. Shining Force Cd a bit disappointing but still enjoyable.
Still left from 2019:
Dragon Quest VII
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Luigi's Mansion 2
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Still left from 2020:
Devil May Cry 4
12 new ones:
Yakuza Kiwami 2
The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
Final Fantasy Tactics
Persona 5 Royal
Gears of War 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
> Shining Force CD
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
> System Shock 2
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
My list of backlog has changed significantly so I'm just gonna make a new one... Like before I'm only listing stuff on my PS4 since I consider it to be my primary console rn, my Switch is like a "refresher" to me.
Persona 5 Strikers
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Mafia II Definitive Edition
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
The Unfinished Swan
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II (part of I.5 + II.5 ReMIX)
FF VIII Remastered
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch
The Sexy Brutale
Dirt Rally 2.0
I only finished 4 games from my previous list so I still have 8 games to go. It's more likely that i'll add more games instead of finishing one tbh, lol.
Phbz last edited by
@bam541 omg that list is scary!
@phbz lol ikr, I actually feel intimidated every time I pass through the backlog folder on my PS4. I feel like I should play the shorter games first just to make this list less dense. I already progressed quite a bit in some of them, which also helps.