Abzu

• This game is every bit as impactful as Journey. In fact, it's exactly as impactful as Journey because it is literally "next gen, underwater Journey," as everyone's been saying. I don't know how they pulled it off, but I hope Playstation promotes the hell out of this game as they did Journey.

Even the plot echoes Journey (FULL SPOILERS): You start as a lone wanderer (lava girl), meeting a companion before long (shark boi). The music swells for an energetic sequence in the second level and somewhere around the third level they introduce enemies in a horror-esque sequence. At the end of the game you and your companion thematically "die" (the diver, who's apparently a girl, loses her skin) and are reborn in a sequence where you defeat your enemies and restore balance to the world.

Theme-wise, though, it's more like Okami than Journey. The emphasis is on restoring the natural world from an evil, decidedly unnatural force that's corrupting and suppressing it. Meanwhile, Journey was about life more than a hero's journey / journey of purification.

• @Haru17 That does seem to add up alright to the themes of the game. Thanks for explaining.

• @Haru17 I think what made Journey more impactful though, was the ability to connect with a random person.

It doesn't need that though

• @TheHashtag0nist I'll let you know a secret: I finished Journey in singleplayer. I fell off of the bridge at the end and the game never matched me with another player, so I completed the game by my lonesome (story of my life) and didn't get the mountain symbolism until I looked it up.

So naturally I don't think they need the multiplayer component at all. Both games are every bit as fun and emotional without "GAYmer420" in the credits.

• @Haru17 The first time i played Journey, i turned it off because it was weird. We all have our moments ;)

• This game is fantastic! Right up there with Journey for me, just evokes different emotions. Highly recommended. It's short, yes, but well worth the asking price.

• I really love the soundtrack. Can't stop listening to this one in particular.

Youtube Video

• Seems like the perfect thing to play before going to bed, or after a bad day.

• Well, it didn't resonate with me like Journey did. It actually reminds me more of Flower than Journey.

I suppose it was trying to tell a story about the sea life and machine coexisting or something. I wasn't really attached to the shark dude or the robot, nor did I feel like the inverted pyramid mines seem that threatening as they were stationary objects compared to the ribbon eaters. Of course, Journey was telling a different story.

• Played through it 3 times and got 100% completion. Absolutely beautiful and my game of the year, so far. Everyday I feel like playing through it again, it's just so relaxing to play and a perfect stress relief. The soundtrack is so perfect.