Movies you're never sure you liked or not

• I love coming out of a movie on a high and just knowing that you just saw the best thing ever. Over the years though, I've had some films I go to that I just have weird conflicted feelings on. Maybe I'll come out hating the movie, and over the course of a couple days I'll come around to and can't stop thinking about it, and I'll end up loving it. On the other end of that though are the experiences where I watch a film, I initially love it, and then over time can't figure out if I actually do.

The most recent encounter with this is Mid 90's. I love a lot of things about the movie. It's got a vibe that I just really like, and the youthful adventures of friends trying to find their place in the world pre-internet feels nostalgic in a way that a lot of things can't be unless they're looking back in this way. But on the other hand, there are just parts in the movie I dislike outright, not to spoil anything specific.

I feel the same way about something like Donnie Darko. To this day it feels like whenever I watch it again I have the opposite opinion I had the time before.

Do you have any movies that you think you love, but can't figure out why you don't? Movies that for whatever reason leaves you feeling conflicted?

• I feel similarly about Mid90s-the skate culture aesthetic is really nice and cool but there are character dialogues I really don't like and that remind me of the excessiveness of Superbad or The 40 Year-Old Virgin.

Host is another film I feel conflicted by because it contains some really good jump scares and the mood is consistently and grippingly edgy, but I feel like it's too similar to Unfriended with characters I can't identify with at all.

• @jdincinerator Out of curiosity, are we talking the 2020 movie Host, the 2006 Bong Joon-Ho's The Host, or The Stephanie Meyer 2013 book adaptation The Host?

I've only seen the Bong Joon-Ho one once, but need to rewatch, but if that's the one you're talking about, I definitely wanted to give it a re-watch for conflicted feelings.

• @happygaming The 2020 horror film called Host.

• Man I have to HARD disagree about Mid90s. I found that movie insanely relatable to my skate rat youth.

—-

My pick goes to The Hobbit. Saw it in theatres and I remember liking it. Then the world gaslit into making me think it was the worst movie ever.

Now that 3rd movie was bottom tier trash but I recall liking the first one.

• @dipset The first two are fine enough, just bloated and excessively dark given the source material. Each has at least one standout sequence that I think deserves a second look (Riddles in the dark for part 1, Smaug for part 2). The third movie is gutter trash. The lack of practical effects really hurts the trilogy as a whole, though, especially when you compare it to how tactile LotR felt.

• @naltmank

Yeah I recall liking the 2nd one as well. I mean, I'm not going to die on the hill saying they are incredible, but I actually liked them outright whereas the greater moviegoing hive mind has led me to question myself because they claim these are just the worst movies ever made. That said, the scene in the 3rd movie where the King Dwarf throws his crown down might be one of the worst scenes I've ever seen in one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

What I agree is jarring is how Lord of the Rings did a lot of amazing filmmaking techniques that played out so tastefully in the final product. I mean, there are hundreds of hours of behind the scenes footage for that trilogy if somebody wants to study it. Undeniable that those were made with a high level of care and ambition.

Then years later in The Hobbit, Peter Jackson is like, "lets just throw a Go Pro into a river and intercut it with film cameras, nobody will know the difference". That lack of care is shocking when you throw it up against his other work.