Worst Videogame Side Activities

• Side activities in games should be pleasurable accompaniments to the main portion of a game but some of these missions or jobs really know how to bore players or make them feel like a useless chore monkeys. No More Heroes is egregious of this offence because it's baffling that the game complements rank battles with job centre jobs that have you picking up trash, mowing lawns and delivering coconuts. What side activities in videogames do you find boring and do you have any good examples of games with these kind of boring activities?

• Usually I don't have this kind of reaction to card games, but I absolutely cannot stand Joustus in Shovel Knight: King of Cards. The only good thing I have to say about it is that Yacht Club were smart enough to keep it completely optional.

• Romances in games. They're almost always terribly written & very cringe. Theyre mostly shallow nerd wish fulfillment characters. Saying that me & the misses would totally smash Annette Birkin. We have discussed this. Although she would definitely bang one of the horde in WOW behind my back.

• Procedurally generated endless side quests suck. Fallout 4's Preston Garvey comes to mind, and I have seen Watch Dogs 1 do the same thing with the procedural crime generator thing. Genshin Impact's daily commissions are the worst, I only do them because of the rewards.

• @paulmci27 I’ve played a lot of Persona but still can’t stand the social link stuff. This will make sense to nobody, I know.

• @e_zed_eh_intern For me I was much more interested in what kind of gameplay rewards I would get for social links rather than any additional relationship dialogue rewards. I know I'm a monster.

• I kinda have to second romance options in RPGs. I've liked them in the past, but it's basically becoming sexy time reward these days. All of them in WRPGs have way too much flirting and sexual tension and it just feels cheap these days.

--

I've been playing through FF7 (original) on Switch and I came across these guys who want me to help them fight Shinra by spending my money on their cause. Sp I've been asked to not only financially protect their little base, but also physically do the fighting as well. Yet, I have no incentive to help them. I barely know them!

So I guess just don't throw me some random side stuff that takes my resources with no clear indication of how it'll even pay off. It's not common these days, but I've come across this a few times over the years.

Even recently CP77 has these little mini shootout bounties that can be difficult then I get like $300 bucks for it... I sometimes wish I knew about the rewards going in but I also feel like that would be horrible most of the time.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    I kinda get it, hell my biggest complaint about the social link system is that there's no way to make it level up in dungeons unless it's related to the main plot. Like let us healing, defending or whatever level up the social link for your party members, then have them pull you aside at a save room and be like "hey when you get a moment there's something I want to talk to you about, maybe tomorrow? " or something like that.

• Do "skits" count?
    You dont really see them a lot outside of C grade JRPGs and anime fightera, but they are some of the most cringey shit I've ever seen in games.
    It's usually some LOL XD SO RANDUM shit or just characters acting stupid and putting on an anime trope exhibition.
    Playing Blazblue's story mode is like a game of Russian roulette, where the bullet is as 12 minute long skit about how much the characters like trouts.

• @paulmci27 exactly how I felt. All of my link choices were based on what rewards they gave me.