The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• I don't know much about Brutal Legend beyond the boilerplate stuff:

It was a game some initially thought would be some form of third person action adventure all about heavy metal and hell with Jack Black and many icons of music, but EA went out of their way to keep quiet it was an RTS for as long as possible (despite Tim Schafer wanting to tell people). And for as much as I'm a fan of Schafer the person, I can never really get too excited for his games. That said, I'm actually excited to see how Psychonauts 2 fares. With how long development has taken, and Double Fine now being Xbox first party, I'm fascinated to see if it can stick the landing.

Rock on though Brutal Legend. I DO believe gaming is better for having you exist.

• I was sold on this game after playing a demo (remember demos?). It’s fun, its funny and it also introduced me to music I wasn’t aware of. Maybe as a game it’s nothing special, but you can feel developer’s love and passion, and this alone makes it a joyful experience.

• @brannox 90% of it was still action-adventure though, there were just a few RTS battles throughout the campaign and not too hard to get through anyway.

I loved that game, its world is so unique and built with such love and passion, it's like they boiled down an entire culture/musical genre into a universe of its own. I discovered so many artists through its incredible soundtrack, I spent hours just roaming the world in that badass car listening to all these bangers. Never got tired of it.

As a videogame it doesn't do anything revolutionary, just a competent third-person hack-n-slash, but it was a joy to live there for a while.

• This is a surprise entry as far as I'm concerned. Brutal Legend is a cool and memorable game but it's definitely Jack Black in both good and bad ways. I love the meshing of heavy metal with fantasy and seeing cameos from metal icons like Ozzy Osborne and Lemmy Kilmister, but jokes can fall flat and the strategy portion of the game is irksome. This one wouldn't be in my top 20 or top 25 of 2009 probably but it's certainly inspired.

• Brutal Legend is the most hilarious case of false advertisement I've ever seen. I remember playing through the demo and really enjoying it. Only for it to then add on all the RTS mechanics after the fact, which just isn't my thing.

• Brutal Legend is the perfect use of an HM. Doesn't mean is right next to 4th on my top but means that I'm more glad that exists than other games I would rate higher.

• Banned

I was able to forgive the tremendous genre bait and switch thanks to the massive amount of atmosphere and heavy metal feels the game just blasted in my face from start to finish.

• @phbz My exact thought process. There are probably games from this year that I liked more or that are objectively better that DIDN'T make my HMs, but none of them are as unique as Brutal Legend, and that's something I value a lot.

• I recall this released on the same day as Uncharted 2 and I was shocked by the amount of people I personally knew and well as the GT Forums who all seemed more hyped for this game than Uncharted 2.

I am a pretty big Jack Black fan, I love Heavy Metal and action games but I really didn’t like the demo. It felt super jank to me. Didn’t feel good to play so I never purchased it. Still don’t even know what the hype is about to this day because I just never came across it in the wild.

• @dipset The two big dueling release dates that I remember from this gen are:

Brutal Legend + Uncharted 2 (Target had a BOGO deal on this date that sold out immediately, if I'm remembering correctly)

Enslaved vs. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (two games I've spoken about before that I love for completely different reasons)

• inFAMOUS

#10. inFAMOUS - 15 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Scotty, Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 7 (Brandon_Reister, NeoCweeny, Lotias, El Shmiablo, bam541, Exist 2 Inspire, naltmank)

Information

Release date: May 26 [US], May 29 [EU]
    Developer: Sucker Punch Productions
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Finally, a game that I voted for! InFamous was one of the first truly awesome games that I got for my PS3. Aside from Motorstorm, the first few games I got were forgettable, and it took a while for my PS3 library to get going. I guess you can say that applies to the whole console library in general.

My memory of this game is pretty hazy nowadays, I think I last played it in 2010, but I still remember liking a lot of the story stuff for both good and evil playthroughs. I don't think I ever finished the evil playthrough though. I really like the main villain's story in particular. Also, those comic book cutscenes are awesome. I really like that Sucker Punch still does that every now and then.

Empire City's grimy and dirty look is something that the series would move away from in the later games (for the better, imo), but it does help sell the idea of a huge incident impacting everything in the city. Plus, one of the series' favorite staple to me is collecting those blast shards, and boy it's so fun to do that when you have parkour mechanics like in this game. You'll get extra powers for exploration too later on, like being able to slide on train tracks. In terms of fulfilling superhero fantasies, this game certainly did a good job.

Speaking of powers, it's just so fun to throw electric bolts (or anything electric related) at people. I always loved the flexible and dynamic combat in InFamous games, and the first game did a good job of providing a solid ground for future games to improve on (and I think they have improved it! Second Son has the best combat imo).

While there are better games in the series, I think this game still has a lot of good things that warrants at least one playthrough, especially since the story stuff is actually worthwhile. At this point I'm super cool with Sucker Punch moving on, but I would be hyped if they decide to make another inFamous.

• I've got it for free after PSN hack. Good game, and I was considering it as my #8, but I liked Borderlands more (I think).

• Of all of Sony's major 1st party franchises they've built and maintained over the course of the PS3's life cycle, inFAMOUS is one I've been turned off by. Despite my fandom of Sucker Punch's previous work with Sly Cooper, inFAMOUS came at a time where I was first starting to feel fatigue in open world games looking like you were doing a lot of the same kind of thing, but with different skins/time periods. On top of that (as I've stated on other countdowns), I'm not into the superhero/comic book style, so that's another knock against me ever wanting to try it.

That said, I do appreciate what it does with it's take on morality and I DO know the major twist. While I kind of like it from an outsider's perspective, it's one of those that is SUPER easy to mess up or be a massive dud, so kudos to SP for doing a good enough job, not just with this game, but for creating a sustainable franchise across several entries.

• One of the most interesting releases of 2009, inFAMOUS was a real killer app for the PS3 that felt refreshing with its comic-book stylings and its playing with electricity. I don't think young children should play inFAMOUS because they might get some dangerous ideas and may start to fiddle with electrical objects themselves, but inFAMOUS was sizzling with great gameplay and was supercharged with great moments. Cole was a bit too gravelly but besides that this was a successful IP debut that deserves to be remembered. While we're on the subject it should be mentioned that Yahtzee put inFAMOUS and Prototype devs into competition where the devs would have to submit a picture of the protagonist from the opposing game wearing a woman's bra and Yahtzee would pick the winner.

• Niiiice. I really do love this game, I've played and finished it so many times. It's essentially the story that hooks me the most, that has some real gravitas and powerful moments. And the way it's presented both visually with those comic screens and with Cole's narration... It just hits me perfectly, that whole tone.

The powers are really cool both for fighting and especially for traversing Empire City. The game world is just the right size with a sweet and appropriate number of things to do and collect, so the whole journey stays pleasantly tight from start to finish. And the score by Amon Tobin is the cherry on top, it binds everything together so well. Man, I love this game.

• This game is dope as hell. My main criticism with it is that visually it's a bit of a drag - just a crapton of grays and browns, which isn't my vibe in a world with superpowers. I also remember being annoyed that your choices were a true binary, and that you couldn't play around with the nuance of one major decision later on (i.e. it didn't matter if you were a good guy the entire game up until that point, you were treated as an asshole no matter what if you chose the "bad" option). Still, just a really fun game with some sick powers.

• I'm kinda shocked none of my picks have appeared so far.

While I did purchase six of the ten picks thus far, it was simply that loaded of a year for me.

• I'll never forget the infamous inFamous vs Prototype threads and comment wars on GameTrailers back in the day. I thought neither looked particularly great but almost everybody leaned into Prototype looking a lot better. Then both released and inFamous became a sudden hit while Prototype floundered.

I think I played a demo and wasn't super into it but ended up buying it anyways and having fun. The art direction is just waaaaaay too grimey for me and the factions were kinda dumb. Your buddy was also kinda annoying, but on a minute to minute level, the game is fun. inFamous 2 was a lot better but I'm glad people came around on this one.

• Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

#9. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 16 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sheria)
    #2: 2 (Jamicov, MXAGhost)
    #3: 1 (Brannox)
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 29 [US], October 9 [EU]
    Developer: h.a.n.d.
    Publisher: Square Enix