The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• This game is dope as hell. My main criticism with it is that visually it's a bit of a drag - just a crapton of grays and browns, which isn't my vibe in a world with superpowers. I also remember being annoyed that your choices were a true binary, and that you couldn't play around with the nuance of one major decision later on (i.e. it didn't matter if you were a good guy the entire game up until that point, you were treated as an asshole no matter what if you chose the "bad" option). Still, just a really fun game with some sick powers.

• I'm kinda shocked none of my picks have appeared so far.

While I did purchase six of the ten picks thus far, it was simply that loaded of a year for me.

• I'll never forget the infamous inFamous vs Prototype threads and comment wars on GameTrailers back in the day. I thought neither looked particularly great but almost everybody leaned into Prototype looking a lot better. Then both released and inFamous became a sudden hit while Prototype floundered.

I think I played a demo and wasn't super into it but ended up buying it anyways and having fun. The art direction is just waaaaaay too grimey for me and the factions were kinda dumb. Your buddy was also kinda annoying, but on a minute to minute level, the game is fun. inFamous 2 was a lot better but I'm glad people came around on this one.

• Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

#9. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 16 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sheria)
    #2: 2 (Jamicov, MXAGhost)
    #3: 1 (Brannox)
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 29 [US], October 9 [EU]
    Developer: h.a.n.d.
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I saw this game in 1.5 collection. Maybe it was better as a game, but as a movie it's too slow and boring.

• Of all the games in the entire franchise, I think this is the one that doesn't get enough love. 358/2 Days is MUCH better than the movie cobbled together in the 1.5 ReMix, because it leaves out so many important details (and is a major source of irritation, personally speaking). Playing as a member of the Organization is one the series' best decisions, as seeing everything through a day to day lens is very engaging, giving further context on who they are and what they did while Sora is out of action.

The panel system is the one of the most flexible in how you want to build Roxas, but it's not utilized in any other Kingdom Hearts game, which is a shame. Having a set grid of squares to fill in with a keyblade and abilities is fun to me, and each keyblade has a unique tetris like shape you have to figure out how to configure in your grid, making it feel like a fun little mini-game of what abilities you want to chain together and what items/magic you want on each mission.

The missions can vary, from fighting unique bosses and doing tasks like finding a set amount of chests to some of the more mundane filler like collecting emblems within a time limit or defeating a set amount of enemies. Having the ability to skip some missions to progress the story is appreciated, but I don't mind them, so I do as many as I can (though some optional objectives are terrible). While most of them you'll do alone, there's a decent amount where you'll be teamed with one other Organization member and having one on one time with so many of them is fascinating to see their personal dynamic with Roxas in how they view and treat him.

Overall the story is solid, though it does have a couple moments where it really shines. A large chunk of the beginning takes place alongside the events of Chain of Memories, so seeing the other side's perspective of the aftermath of that game is really cool. There's a moment pretty late in the game (I think in the last week) where hindsight absolutely blows me away. Don't hover over the tag if you don't want spoilers for this game, KH Birth by Sleep, KH III, and Unchained x:

During a cutscene, Axel, Xigbar, and Xion are in Wonderland, and something happens where Xion will temporarily look like Ventus, and Xigbar has a line saying he hadn't seen him in a while. This is important because Birth by Sleep didn't come until two years later, and no one really knew Ventus yet EXCEPT those who saw the secret movie from KH II, but Ventus wasn't named until BbS. And since KH III, this moment is given even GREATER context what with Xigbar being revealed to be Luxu from Unchained x.

While this one scene is incredible to me, it's not the best moment of the game. That distinction happens in the next to last day:

Where Roxas goes rogue, pulls his hood up, and you can dual-wield and become extra powerful for that one moment. And the fact it culminates in you playing out the secret movie from the very first game is a total delight.

I really like the game a lot (if you couldn't tell) and the fact it doesn't get as much love as the main trilogy or Birth by Sleep is a shame. Square didn't do it any favors by making it condensed into a movie, but it's one of the better games of the whole series. While I dislike having to answer the question of "what games do I need to play in the series," from people who are looking to try the series for the first time, this is on the short list for sure.

And as I always do whenever I have a game I voted for make the cut, I want to shout out and virtual high-five my fellow voters who showed love to it: @Sheria, @Jamicov, and @MXAGhost!

• inFamous is one of the most underrated Sony exclusives. It's much better than Protype and also really fun game to play. Too bad that Sucker Punch didn't get the recognition they deserve with this series but Ghost of Tsushima so they will continue from there instead of inFamous.

• Loved inFamous.

Loved getting to be super super evil.

Such a great evolution from Sly Cooper.

• Wow, there it is. I actually didn't expect to see it as high as this. It's an incredible game but always got overlooked due to it being a handheld title.

358 pretty much ties with BBS as my favourite entry in the series. What I loved so much about 358 however was its complete focus on the original characters. I do love the Disney mixup but it was amazing to see how much the new cast shines on its own. The story was also incredibly emotional and heartbreaking, not bad for a lot of sitting around eating ice lollys.

The poster still adorns my dining room.

Https://ibb.co/BZZpL83

• I LOVE 358/2 Days. Yeah, the mission system can get repetitive, but I just have a lot of fun with the replayability of going back with new abilities to collect all the emblems or treasures. And there are a lot of cool bosses or uniquely structured missions to keep you going. Plus, as others have mentioned, the story is the real draw here. Being placed within the Organization is such a great premise, and the structure of the game allows for more deep dives into the relationships between characters and their headspaces, which I love. This game's got some of my favorite moments in the series, especially with Xion and Axel. I so wish they would've remade this for the 1.5 Collection, it deserves more recognition.

Also, I never gave my thoughts on Pokemon Platinum since I voted for that, but Platinum is pretty close to the top of my Pokemon list. It has such a great balance between new designs, post-game, region design, etc. I also just have a lot of nostalgia for it because it was probably the height of my multiplayer Pokemon experience with my high school friends. A lot of fun times trying to build teams together, breeding, trading eggs, battling, all the stuff. Hoping the eventual Gen 4 remakes will live up to my time here in some way (and hopefully mark the moment when Pokemon games on Switch look nice).

• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

#8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 19 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (Hazz3r, MiserablePerson)
    #3: 2 (Brandon_Reister, Crepe)
    #4: 1 (Scotty)
    HM: 3 (Nimbat1003, DIPSET, Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: November 10 [US/EU]
    Developer: Infinity Ward
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Arguably the peak of the Call of Duty series. An incredible campaign. A somewhat unbalanced yet amazingly fun multiplayer mode. Sits right next to the likes of Doom and Goldeneye in the hall of Great FPS.

• I replayed the campaign last year on the remastered version, and it's certainly as bombastic as a CoD game could ever be. It definitely has some of the coolest moments in the whole franchise (the American invasion parts are pretty crazy), but overall I don't think it holds a candle to CoD4, World at War or Black Ops 1's campaign, which are my favorite ones. I never got to experience the multiplayer first-hand, which is also a big factor in making it miss my votes. I do respect the massive impact of that multiplayer. I always enjoy seeing people look back at something fun they used to have, and the MW2 multiplayer is quite prevalent in that regard.

• Of the 14 games I've played that released in '09, Modern Warfare 2 sits at 11th.

I got "sold" watching the Modern Warfare 3 demo during Microsoft's E3 press conference and borrowed my dad's copies of both CoD 4 and this to play them to prep for 3. For MW2, the campaign does have a couple of neat moments like the EMP going off in D.C. as the copters are falling out of the sky, and infiltrating a base in a blizzard, and there are a couple of Spec Ops missions that were fine (particularly the stealth ones), but I guess my "fling" with CoD was at its peak here. This was also around the time I met my best friend, so this is one of the first games we played together.

After going through all three of the original Modern Warfares and the first Black Ops, I had decidedly come to the conclusion CoD is not for me. I also made the catastrophic mistake of playing multiplayer. And let's just say I had first had experience in how the franchise has earned its reputation of being a cesspit. While I got a kick of finding the hidden bear by going out of bands on a private match, when I look back at Modern Warfare 2, the only feelings I have is a couple spikes of enjoyment at the time during my first campaign playthrough, and regret for having played the series the further removed I am from it.

• likely the top of the franchise for me along with maybe world at war, never touched the online(no internet at the time) but played the campaign and did mutiplayer 1v1's with my brother alot.

• I only played MW2 through the 2020 remaster and it was a fun time, I imagine it was much more impactful back then.

Definitely some cool set-pieces and some original missions (No Russian even though I felt like I had already played it, that blizzard infiltration although it just made me wish for a new Splinter Cell, the one in the city with diners and stuff, forgot the name).

The "America, fuck yeah!" tone is a big turnoff, but I guess it comes with the territory.

COD is like the perfect PS+ game series for me, I'd never buy any of them, but as a free 6-8h campaign once in a while, why not!

• Aw shit, can't believe I forgot about MW2. I'm the farthest person from the demographic that CoD games appeal to, but this one was really special.

• This is one of the rare instances where a series peaks and jumps the shark all at the exact same time. I mean, I think there have been better COD games, but this is where we max out in terms of innovations.

The multiplayer was the most maximized MP game ever. More guns, more ways to play, more attachments, more kill streaks. Options were endless. Also the most unbalanced, unfair, and frustrating multiplayer I’ve ever played. Nothing more annoying that I-frames in a MP game so I guy can knife you a football field away. Or your Harrier kill streak gets you and additional 7 kills so you call a Chopper Gunner and get another 15 kills so you call in another air strike and just bombard the map with chaos.

Never been more frustrated with multiplayer in my life but the chaos made it fun. Definitely had a good time playing with friends, trying new load outs and all that.

Single player Campaign is absolute nonsense and one of the dumbest things I’ve ever played. The story jumps the shark like 4 times in 7 hours and if somebody can explain to me why Captain Price launches a nuke at himself, be my guest. Most missions are just pop a shot Lite Gun type gameplay with a few deviations but I’d never pay $30 or whatever for this remastered campaign.

MW2 made my list for the memories but this is a flawed Apex Mountain in the history of COD.

• I was prepared for Modern Warfare 2 to crack the top 5 but the fact it hasn't here is interesting. Modern Warfare 2 is remembered for me personally as the COD with that awesome snow level and the one where you mercilessly hose down civilians. The campaign remaster that came out last year helped me to appreciate MW2 more than I initially did but although it was GTs GOTY for 2009, there were far better games than it so maybe 8th position is right where it deserves to be-so well done community.

• Resident Evil 5

#7. Resident Evil 5 - 19 points

Votes

#1: 1 (El Shmiablo)
    #2: 0
    #3: 4 (Axel, paulmci27, robert7lee, MiserablePerson)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (Shoulderguy, Nimbat1003)

Information

Release date: March 13 [US/EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review