The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• likely the top of the franchise for me along with maybe world at war, never touched the online(no internet at the time) but played the campaign and did mutiplayer 1v1's with my brother alot.

• I only played MW2 through the 2020 remaster and it was a fun time, I imagine it was much more impactful back then.

Definitely some cool set-pieces and some original missions (No Russian even though I felt like I had already played it, that blizzard infiltration although it just made me wish for a new Splinter Cell, the one in the city with diners and stuff, forgot the name).

The "America, fuck yeah!" tone is a big turnoff, but I guess it comes with the territory.

COD is like the perfect PS+ game series for me, I'd never buy any of them, but as a free 6-8h campaign once in a while, why not!

• Aw shit, can't believe I forgot about MW2. I'm the farthest person from the demographic that CoD games appeal to, but this one was really special.

• This is one of the rare instances where a series peaks and jumps the shark all at the exact same time. I mean, I think there have been better COD games, but this is where we max out in terms of innovations.

The multiplayer was the most maximized MP game ever. More guns, more ways to play, more attachments, more kill streaks. Options were endless. Also the most unbalanced, unfair, and frustrating multiplayer I’ve ever played. Nothing more annoying that I-frames in a MP game so I guy can knife you a football field away. Or your Harrier kill streak gets you and additional 7 kills so you call a Chopper Gunner and get another 15 kills so you call in another air strike and just bombard the map with chaos.

Never been more frustrated with multiplayer in my life but the chaos made it fun. Definitely had a good time playing with friends, trying new load outs and all that.

Single player Campaign is absolute nonsense and one of the dumbest things I’ve ever played. The story jumps the shark like 4 times in 7 hours and if somebody can explain to me why Captain Price launches a nuke at himself, be my guest. Most missions are just pop a shot Lite Gun type gameplay with a few deviations but I’d never pay $30 or whatever for this remastered campaign.

MW2 made my list for the memories but this is a flawed Apex Mountain in the history of COD.

• I was prepared for Modern Warfare 2 to crack the top 5 but the fact it hasn't here is interesting. Modern Warfare 2 is remembered for me personally as the COD with that awesome snow level and the one where you mercilessly hose down civilians. The campaign remaster that came out last year helped me to appreciate MW2 more than I initially did but although it was GTs GOTY for 2009, there were far better games than it so maybe 8th position is right where it deserves to be-so well done community.

• Resident Evil 5

#7. Resident Evil 5 - 19 points

Votes

#1: 1 (El Shmiablo)
    #2: 0
    #3: 4 (Axel, paulmci27, robert7lee, MiserablePerson)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (Shoulderguy, Nimbat1003)

Information

Release date: March 13 [US/EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I have many great memories of playing Resident Evil 5 multiple times solo, and with my friends and family. Myself and others would always have a fun time taking down the infected together.

I know RE5 gets a bad rap for being more of an action shooter, but it has more horror elements then people give it credit for. The environments are very atmospheric, the enemy designs are disturbing, and the game is full of tense situations. Those elements combined with the refined controls from RE4, create a satisfying experience overall. Resident Evil 5 is #7 of 22 on my 2009 list of games.

• Resident Evil 5 is the only game from 2009 that I've seen in it's entirety, but never played, thanks to the Mike & Mike stream about a year and a half ago. So I understand my thoughts need to be taken with a mountain of salt, but I'm confident enough about to speak about it to some degree. I got inspired to watch the stream as the Mikes (primarily Huber with RE VII) have given me an interest in the franchise SOLELY as a viewer (I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to play these games). And because of this, I would love to experience Dead Space 1 & 2 for the first time via an Ally playthough (I DID catch Ben's stream last year, but I was hoping he would keep with it. Ah well.)

And as an experience, this is one of my least favorite playthroughs I've watched

(as a reference, I would rate them as follows:

• RE 2 Remake
    • VII
    • 3 Remake
    • 2 [I just watched this for the first time within the last couple of weeks!]
    • REmake
    • 3 [I just watch this for the first time last week too!]
    • then 5

I won't go back and watch the 6 full playthrough because of its reputation).

Overall, there's just something about the way this looks that doesn't look good. I can't put my finger on it, besides the environments aren't all that interesting, and there are certain segments that don't look fun (the turret segment against the giant and one of the bosses that gave them massive trouble, can't remember its name). There are other things at the time I remember thinking "that doesn't look fun," but as you can tell, it didn't leave a positive impression. While I wouldn't mind rewatching the playthroughs of the top half of the above list, this didn't really do it for me (again, as a viewer) to ever re-watch it.

And despite that, I would still have it 12th on my list of 14 games. Yes, there are two games I played I would rank lower than RE 5 (And I don't foresee them showing up). Regardless, I'm very excited to watch VIl.l.AGE, and the Maiden demo was neat to watch. I guess it's Huber's love and passion for the franchise is why I enjoy the playthroughs so much. It also comes out a week before my birthday, and my younger self never would've believed I would be celebrating a birthday watching a survival horror playthrough.

• Uhhhh I didn't think this was a 2009 game, but I haven't ever finished it. Just gonna copy n paste what I wrote this morning in another thread, but keep in mind I thought this was a 2008 game:

Started Resident Evil 5 coop yesterday morning with my friend. RE5, RE6, RE3 Remake, and Code Veronica are the mainline RE games I haven't played or finished. I played what I assume is maybe 50% of the game waaaaaay back when. I recall it feeling a lot more intense in 2008 than it currently does. On one hand, I'm way more experienced with Resident Evil, but also, this game just doesn't scare me as an adult. It's just the thrill of a zombie nearly getting you but you run away just right on time.

Low expectations but having fun so far. It's funny how every co-op game in that era played the exact same: pre-mission inventory screen, hold circle to throw your friend up a ladder, run through bite sized levels. The only difference between RE5 and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand are the shooting mechanics. 2008 was a glorious yet weird time in gaming.

--

I just wanna amend that by saying this game is D U M B but like... that's kinda what makes it awesome. Also, elephant in the room but this game is racist as shit. I'm a pretty massive Herzog fan where some of his best movies are like white dude among Indigenous people running amuck, so I'm not the best person to pass judgement, but sometimes you gotta call it what it is. The game is racist. RE4 isn't much better but this game is filled with an unignorable amount of "ooooh Africa S-C-A-R-Y".

Also playing through RE4 at the same time as RE5 and it kinda shows that this game wasn't looking to re-write the book. It's kinda just RE4 amplified. And it's great for that. I still love the laser beam pop-a-shot gameplay, but I'm also kinda glad Resident Evil graduated to something else and this type of game has been continued in The Evil Within.

• Resident Evil 5 is a pretty great action game but a pretty terrible Resident Evil one. Sheva always hogging the supplies is quite the necessity but there are a handful of memorable moments that keep RE5 buoyant. Oh yeah and the Results theme is wonderful. Just grab a buddy and this RE is pretty damn entertaining-it's entertaining in single-player too so that's good. Personally I'd probably have RE5 down between 15-20 in my personal top 20 but that wouldn't make it any less decent of course.

• I'm legit surprised that RE 5 is so high up on the list. After RE 4, I felt like RE 5 was such a huge disappointment.

Playing through this with my friend was not a great experience. However, I feel like my experience was a bit of an outlier. Other than that I don't really know what could be said about RE5 that hasn't already been said.

• Banned

My personal favorite RE to this day. I've played it through countless times across like 2 generations and 3 different platforms with a dozen different people.
    Some people say it casualized the systems from 4 but I think it more streamlined them. 6 took that streamlining a bit far and killed a lot of the customizability, but that is honestly the least of 6's problems.
    Hell, I think I might play it again just because of this thread.

• @el-shmiablo

So far I prefer RE4 to RE5 as an overall package but as somebody playing them both at the exact same time, there is no doubt that RE5 is more refined. Little bits of quality of life improvements everywhere like pulling the camera back further so you can see who is around you. The aiming is a lot smoother. Stomping downed enemies ups the pace in a really good way.

Like... I don't even know what "casualized the systems" would even mean as a critique because it's the same systems as RE4 but smoothed out so it isn't a pain in the ass to play co-op. Generally speaking people complain too much about the whole "casual" critique imo.

• Resident Evil 5 was my first ever Resident Evil game precisely because it looked like an Action Game. However I bounced off the game hard right from the beginning. Survival Horror was a completely new concept to me, and I had no idea how to deal with the mob rush and the axe guy at the beginning of the game. Now that I'm older and understand the language of video games more ("If something seems impossible, the game probably wants you to run away, not stand your ground.") I've dabbled in the first couple of hours and enjoyed my time with it. It has fun aesthetic and a satisfying combat system. But it's probably the last Resident Evil game I would play.

• I had a lot more fun with Resident Evil 5 than I should have.

I remember starting it up in co-op with my gf back then, but she was pretty terrible at it so we were stuck in the early sections and not getting anywhere. Eventually she gave up so I ended up playing most of it in solo, not the creator's intent, sorry!

I was obsessed with achievements back then and I'm pretty sure I got them all in the end, replaying it over and over again with new weapons unlocked, it got more and more fun as it went.

The story was peak silly (although I didn't play 6), and since I hadn't played 2 or 3 back then I probably missed some references.

It's definitely not up there with the best of RE, but I can't deny I had a blast with it nonetheless.

• Demon's Souls

#6. Demon's Souls - 19 points

Votes

#1: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #2: 2 (Nimbat1003, DIPSET)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 6 (Shoulderguy, HappyGaming, Crepe, Sheria, Hazz3r, Sazime)

Information

Release date: October 6 [US]
    Developer: FromSoftware
    Publisher: Atlus USA, Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• How timely, and this is probably going to be the only example of the exact same game showing on both a retro list and a contemporary one. Granted, this year's iteration probably makes this 2009 original now completely void, but it's not surprising to see the Souls that started it all so high.

• I had a great time with the Demon's Souls remake so I decided to give the original game an Honorable Mention despite the fact that I never played it. Plus, I've liked every other Souls game, so I'm sure I would have liked this one as well. I put Demon's Souls at #8 of 22 on my list.

• It took me years to beat Demon's Souls. The Souls series, in general, has taught me a lot about thinking about certain games in different ways; whether it's how the Souls games are paced, or learning that failure isn't the wall we might think it is. They've also held up really well over time, imo.

• I beat Demon's Souls a couple of years ago. It was fun. Had to give it an HM.