The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• love demons souls and considered it my fave of the series(having played it near launch) for a while and there are still a couple things i like over following games, the nexus as a hub, but the replay on ps5 really showed how weak the boss fights are compared to modern counterparts and it's also a surprisingly small game.

i still love it and the Ps5 version has basically fully replaced the 09 Game for like 98% of it, though you can make an argument for "Vibe" differences with some visual and music changes but even then i did my second playthrough of ps5 with the "classic" filter and it honestly works pretty well haha.

this would have easily been Number 1 if not for another(i assume upcoming) game being squarely in my all-time top 10 from this year.

• Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

#5. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - 20 points

Votes

#1: 1 (DemonPirate)
    #2: 2 (Brannox, NeoCweeny)
    #3: 1 (Sazime)
    #4: 1 (Nimbat1003)
    HM: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: October 27 [US], November 6 [EU]
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Platformer
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Hell yeaaaaah!!
    My first R&C game and undoubtedly my favorite.
    Here's hoping Rift Apart can get to its level :)

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I like Tools of Destruction more or not haha

• While I get why many consider this their favorite of the franchise, I prefer others more (The reboot, Tools of Destruction, and the original), but that doesn't mean I'm not very high on it (hence my second place vote). The franchise may have had quite a few games before this, but the PS3 is where it really hit its stride. There's so much about this game I love:

• The juggling of multiple antagonists between Vorselon, Nefarious, and eventually Azimuth.
    • While I enjoy the dynamic between the titular two the best when they're together, this proved each can have unique and engaging gameplay and scenarios independent of one another.
    • The exploration of each system, flying to planets to find puzzling platform sections for Gold Bolts, Zoni, and side quests from NPCs, is freeing. There are so many planets across the franchise I really enjoy, but it's nice not having a linear path to explore every now and then.
    • The story is really solid, seeing Clank come into his own, how his origins was more than coming off the assembly line in the first game, and the heartbreaking fate of Orvus. Plus, again, Nefarious.

Sadly, this would also be the last really good/great game of the series for awhile with the weird experiments that were All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. Thankfully Into the Nexus and the Reboot proved the formula is still fantastic.

Overall, this is a great game, and if it wasn't for My Blaster Runs Hot, I would have the Platinum. I'm VERY excited for Rift Apart, and I'm eagerly going back to another full series replay heading into its release (If they would give a release date. But I'm happier waiting as long as they continue taking their time and put out a fantastic game).

As always, shoutouts to @DemonPirate, @NeoCweeny, @Sazime, @Nimbat1003, @JDINCINERATOR, and @Capnbobamous!

• Woo love ratchet and clank just played through the ps3 trilogy last year, I still really like crack in time but personally 2 and maybe even 3 top out the series for me they all kinda do different things the best.

Tools also does Some thing really well but the gameplay and better story of a crack in time top the ps3 trilogy for me.

• Woah A Crack In Time is super high on this list. I mean it's a great game for sure and certainly deserves its place here but I am surprised by how much love people have for it. I didn't play as much of A Crack In Time as I should have because back in the day I used to rent out games, get 10% of the trophies and then review the games-which I know was an awful practice to have but I guess I did this to get a good first impression of the games I played without beating them. Damn I'd love to see A Crack in Time get remastered on PS4/PS5.

• I imagine we'll see the points gap jumping pretty big right about next now.

• @demonpirate Nah, I can't take credit for that.

I'm no Michael Huber X-D

• Assassin's Creed II

#4. Assassin's Creed II - 39 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Lotias, Exist 2 Inspire, MiserablePerson)
    #2: 2 (Shoulderguy, El Shmiablo)
    #3: 2 (Hazz3r, Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 2 (DIPSET, paulmci27)
    HM: 6 (JDINCINERATOR, ffff0, Nimbat1003, Scotty, Sazime, robert7lee)

Information

Release date: November 17 [US], November 20 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action-adventure, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Wow, that jump in point totals!

The first Assassin's Creed was okay but Assassin's Creed II is were I really got invested in the series. The gameplay is improved over AC1, and the cities of Renaissance Italy were a joy to explore, with it's great art direction and atmosphere. Also, AC2 has an excellent soundtrack, perfect for stabbing fools in the neck and back.

I was much more invested in the story of the Assassin's and Templars this time around, mostly thanks to Ezio. As Altair was a bit of a blank slate protagonist in the first game, were Ezio is a much more developed character. I enjoyed seeing his story and skills as an assassin develop over those 3 AC games.

The recent Assassin's Creed games have gone in a different direction. For myself, AC2 was the peak of that classic AC formula and it's still my favorite of the series overall.

• I just recently watched a whole Assassin's Creed series review/ranking from an acquaintance of mine, and when got to II and said it released in 2009, I immediately thought, "Oh yeah, I forgot it came out that year. Wait. I haven't seen it on the countdown yet. It'll probably be next." And sure enough, that's what happened.

As comical as it is, my only experience surrounds, but not with, the Ezio trilogy: 1, III, and IV: Black Flag (for various reasons). As such, I've never played II and can't speak to it, but I recognize how many fans feel this was/is the peak of the "classic" style of the franchise.

• Assassin's Creed II is my #6. I've got into Assassin's Creed series after Revelations and whole Ezio trilogy blend together for me. It was nice to get to explore medieval Italy and get familiar with its architecture, but aside from that it was just another good game. Only with recent games Assassin's Creed has became one of my favorite series.

• I pre-ordered AC3, and before it was released, played all of the other games back to back. The jump from AC to AC2 was such a welcome set of improvements on a formula I was already really enjoying. The Mario gag didn't hurt either. 🙂

• Damn, I guess none of the PSP games I voted got in. I think it's pretty obvious what the top 3 games will be.

• @bam541 Same here don't think mine are getting in either-can you disclose which PSP games you voted for?

• @axel Assassins Creed II made a huge impact which is the only real reason it got an honourable mention from me. How things unfolded in the first hour kept me intrigued but then it was squandered but there are pretty sights and interesting characters.

• @jdincinerator Gran Turismo and GTA Chinatown Wars.

• @bam541 Ahh I didn't vote for those PSP games I voted for Resistance: Retribution, Rock Band: Unplugged and LBP PSP.

• @jdincinerator Rock Band Unplugged almost made my list. It's such a cool rhythm game, it translates a lot of the spirit of the Rock Band games into a handheld friendly form. Also, they got some great songs there.