The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• I imagine we'll see the points gap jumping pretty big right about next now.

• @demonpirate Nah, I can't take credit for that.

I'm no Michael Huber X-D

• Assassin's Creed II

#4. Assassin's Creed II - 39 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Lotias, Exist 2 Inspire, MiserablePerson)
    #2: 2 (Shoulderguy, El Shmiablo)
    #3: 2 (Hazz3r, Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 2 (DIPSET, paulmci27)
    HM: 6 (JDINCINERATOR, ffff0, Nimbat1003, Scotty, Sazime, robert7lee)

Information

Release date: November 17 [US], November 20 [EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action-adventure, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Wow, that jump in point totals!

The first Assassin's Creed was okay but Assassin's Creed II is were I really got invested in the series. The gameplay is improved over AC1, and the cities of Renaissance Italy were a joy to explore, with it's great art direction and atmosphere. Also, AC2 has an excellent soundtrack, perfect for stabbing fools in the neck and back.

I was much more invested in the story of the Assassin's and Templars this time around, mostly thanks to Ezio. As Altair was a bit of a blank slate protagonist in the first game, were Ezio is a much more developed character. I enjoyed seeing his story and skills as an assassin develop over those 3 AC games.

The recent Assassin's Creed games have gone in a different direction. For myself, AC2 was the peak of that classic AC formula and it's still my favorite of the series overall.

• I just recently watched a whole Assassin's Creed series review/ranking from an acquaintance of mine, and when got to II and said it released in 2009, I immediately thought, "Oh yeah, I forgot it came out that year. Wait. I haven't seen it on the countdown yet. It'll probably be next." And sure enough, that's what happened.

As comical as it is, my only experience surrounds, but not with, the Ezio trilogy: 1, III, and IV: Black Flag (for various reasons). As such, I've never played II and can't speak to it, but I recognize how many fans feel this was/is the peak of the "classic" style of the franchise.

• Assassin's Creed II is my #6. I've got into Assassin's Creed series after Revelations and whole Ezio trilogy blend together for me. It was nice to get to explore medieval Italy and get familiar with its architecture, but aside from that it was just another good game. Only with recent games Assassin's Creed has became one of my favorite series.

• I pre-ordered AC3, and before it was released, played all of the other games back to back. The jump from AC to AC2 was such a welcome set of improvements on a formula I was already really enjoying. The Mario gag didn't hurt either. 🙂

• Damn, I guess none of the PSP games I voted got in. I think it's pretty obvious what the top 3 games will be.

• @bam541 Same here don't think mine are getting in either-can you disclose which PSP games you voted for?

• @axel Assassins Creed II made a huge impact which is the only real reason it got an honourable mention from me. How things unfolded in the first hour kept me intrigued but then it was squandered but there are pretty sights and interesting characters.

• @jdincinerator Gran Turismo and GTA Chinatown Wars.

• @bam541 Ahh I didn't vote for those PSP games I voted for Resistance: Retribution, Rock Band: Unplugged and LBP PSP.

• @jdincinerator Rock Band Unplugged almost made my list. It's such a cool rhythm game, it translates a lot of the spirit of the Rock Band games into a handheld friendly form. Also, they got some great songs there.

• Banned

While my personal favorite from the Ezio trilogy is Brotherhood, 2 was such a mind blowing improvement over the first game and monumentally ahead of it's time in terms of gameplay mechanics.
    I played 2 and Brotherhood last year and they still hold up in my opinion. Tried to finish it off with Revelations but tapped out about half way.

• Despite my issues with Revelations, the Ezio Trilogy is up there with Mass Effect as one of my favourites, and I think 2 is the strongest.

Having Ezio unwittingly plunged into this world of Assassins and Templars only to have taken the mantle by the end. The environments are wonderfully varied, and the introduction of Monteriggioni as your home base, and somewhere you can upgrade as time goes on. I feel like Fable had a huge influence on the gameplay structure of AC 2 and it's all positive.

This is also when the plot made a lot more sense which I loved. That ending with Ezio in the Vatican... chef kiss

@el-shmiablo said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!:

While my personal favorite from the Ezio trilogy is Brotherhood, 2 was such a mind blowing improvement over the first game and monumentally ahead of it's time in terms of gameplay mechanics.
    I played 2 and Brotherhood last year and they still hold up in my opinion. Tried to finish it off with Revelations but tapped out about half way.

I don't have much love for playing Revelations compared to the rest of the games but that ending is one of the best endings in video games. Gotta see it through to the end.

• Banned

@hazz3r I agree and I've done it before but I just can't push myself to trudge through the game again. I played all three back to back and felt too fatigued to see it through to the end.

• Can't believe Cursed Mountain is going to win this.

• Global Moderator

Yes! AC II got on the list! I love this game so much! Played the first game which ended up getting a little drawn out but loved the last couple hours of it. Remember being out at town with a friend when remembering that the midnight release was on, headed over there and picked myself up the black edition. This was the first game I ever platinumed and got nothing but great memories from it!

• I only played AC2 for the first time last year even though the controls were maddening I had a good time. Loved the challenge type dungeons the most & the story was engaging. I think that Unity actually perfected this formula & the series has lost something since it went Rpg. Although a change was needed.