The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• @bam541 Same here don't think mine are getting in either-can you disclose which PSP games you voted for?

• @axel Assassins Creed II made a huge impact which is the only real reason it got an honourable mention from me. How things unfolded in the first hour kept me intrigued but then it was squandered but there are pretty sights and interesting characters.

• @jdincinerator Gran Turismo and GTA Chinatown Wars.

• @bam541 Ahh I didn't vote for those PSP games I voted for Resistance: Retribution, Rock Band: Unplugged and LBP PSP.

• @jdincinerator Rock Band Unplugged almost made my list. It's such a cool rhythm game, it translates a lot of the spirit of the Rock Band games into a handheld friendly form. Also, they got some great songs there.

• While my personal favorite from the Ezio trilogy is Brotherhood, 2 was such a mind blowing improvement over the first game and monumentally ahead of it's time in terms of gameplay mechanics.
    I played 2 and Brotherhood last year and they still hold up in my opinion. Tried to finish it off with Revelations but tapped out about half way.

• Despite my issues with Revelations, the Ezio Trilogy is up there with Mass Effect as one of my favourites, and I think 2 is the strongest.

Having Ezio unwittingly plunged into this world of Assassins and Templars only to have taken the mantle by the end. The environments are wonderfully varied, and the introduction of Monteriggioni as your home base, and somewhere you can upgrade as time goes on. I feel like Fable had a huge influence on the gameplay structure of AC 2 and it's all positive.

This is also when the plot made a lot more sense which I loved. That ending with Ezio in the Vatican... chef kiss

@el-shmiablo said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!:

While my personal favorite from the Ezio trilogy is Brotherhood, 2 was such a mind blowing improvement over the first game and monumentally ahead of it's time in terms of gameplay mechanics.
    I played 2 and Brotherhood last year and they still hold up in my opinion. Tried to finish it off with Revelations but tapped out about half way.

I don't have much love for playing Revelations compared to the rest of the games but that ending is one of the best endings in video games. Gotta see it through to the end.

• @hazz3r I agree and I've done it before but I just can't push myself to trudge through the game again. I played all three back to back and felt too fatigued to see it through to the end.

• Can't believe Cursed Mountain is going to win this.

• Global Moderator

Yes! AC II got on the list! I love this game so much! Played the first game which ended up getting a little drawn out but loved the last couple hours of it. Remember being out at town with a friend when remembering that the midnight release was on, headed over there and picked myself up the black edition. This was the first game I ever platinumed and got nothing but great memories from it!

• I only played AC2 for the first time last year even though the controls were maddening I had a good time. Loved the challenge type dungeons the most & the story was engaging. I think that Unity actually perfected this formula & the series has lost something since it went Rpg. Although a change was needed.

• AC II is the most memorable of the "OG ACs". Maybe even out of all of them? Such a high point of the series, loved it so much.

• Catching up...

Demon's Souls

My #2 - again, the Top 4 can all interchange. I love my whole Top 8 list and I've played them all for many many hours so #4 vs #1, all semantics.

I fell in love with Demon's Souls. Shortened down from an earlier thread, but this game had me playing in ways that I hadn't experienced before. In many ways this new type of game has tainted my love for other types of action games. If the level design isn't on par with Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne, then it should be.

I think back in 2009 this would've been lower down the list but it clicked with me over the course of a few years and I played it steady until Dark Souls in 2011 so the game is etched in fond memories bringing it higher by today.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time

More proof that 2009 was STACKED—I love this game and it didn't make my list. I think the series magnum opus is Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction where they had Pixar level animation in cutscenes, with in-engine gameplay not too far off that mark. At the time, that game was mind blowing. A Crack In Time is more of the same in my eyes, but that doesn't mean it isn't great because it is. I just think if we're leveling the games out against each other, this one is the most refined in the series but probably not adding too much.

Assassin's Creed II

Again, my Top 4 is semantics, they are all GOTY's. ACII was a back n forth for GOTY in 2009. I think I ended up beating this game twice and then I did a speedrun cleanup for the platinum. I'm a hipster who thinks the original Assassin's Creed is amazing and I respect the "vision" put forth in that game, so that made this sequel very highly anticipated.

Think back to 2008/2009 and you'll recall that 50% of the game marketing in demos at E3 was Patrice saying "we're fixing everything" and it's true! I don't know how Ubisoft does feedback, but it worked here. 90% of the annoying things in the first game were fixed here.

There is just something amazing about running around Florence and Venice. I actually went to Monteriggioni in 2015 on a vacation to Italy. If I have one or two memories from ACII etched in my mind this game it would be:

1. Fighting the pope (and jumping the shark), and

2. Cleanup platinum run, tracking down feather while the incredible score played 10/10 music

Youtube Video

• I consider ACII one of the best sequels of all time. A better one also released this year.

• Dragon Age: Origins

#3. Dragon Age: Origins - 47 points

Votes

#1: 6 (Shoulderguy, Brandon_Reister, ffff0, Crepe, Nimbat1003, bard91)
    #2: 4 (Nimbus, bam541, paulmci27, Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: November 3 [US], November 6 [EU]
    Developer: Bioware
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Wow, I expected this to be number 2 at least. It's been sooo long since I played this game, but I still have vivid recollections of me staying up all night, tucked in my blankets, pushing my fatigued body and my laptop's fans to the edge. I think I finished this in like 2 weeks, played it every night while ignoring all my homework because this game is just so good! The premise of the story is solid, but the real star here for me are the scenarios they put you in. They're so engaging and interesting in their own ways. My favorite one has to be the Mage Tower section, love me some wicked hallucinations. The cast of characters are memorable and well written, and some the interactions between them are just too entertaining (Morrigan and Alistair comes to mind). Also, the combat is pretty tough. I played a not-up-to-date version that has some rough difficulty spikes, and boy I sure had lots of headaches during my playthrough. This is the game that introduced me to CRPGs, and to this day it's still one of my favorite RPGs ever (my 2nd favorite, to be exact). This is easily Bioware's finest work for me. I miss this Bioware so much.

• Dragon Age series have many aspects of great RPGs, like interesting characters, compelling world and intriguing stories. However, this series is very special for me, because of how dark and punishing it is. In all 3 games I’ve managed to romance the most involved in main storyline companion and each time it didn’t end well to say the least. In Dragon Age: Origins, spoilers by the way,

I’ve romanced Alistair. When Morrigan offered to perform the Ritual with him, I’ve rejected her, because he was my man, not hers, and because Riordan, whom I didn’t care about, had volunteered to perform the killing blow. Then Riordan died. Then either me or Alistair had to perform the killing blow. And at that moment I was so shocked that my selfishness and overconfidence had led me to this, that I wasn’t able to make any decision. So, Alistair did it and died. Then I was praised as a Hero of Ferelden, but all I felt was that I’m a coward and that my love has died because of the choices I’ve made.

I’ve played Dragon Age: Origins 4 times, the last one was before Dragon Age: Inquisition. And when I’ve played it in 2014, I’ve noticed that it’s too slow, and that many levels drag for too long. So, by no means this is a perfect game. But no other 2009 game had left such emotional impact on me, so of course it’s my #1.

• Dragon Age is not my preferred Bioware series, though I do respect how much of a dedicated fandom it has garnered. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but as an outsider I feel as if this game is the one that's adored the most of the franchise with DA II having an infamous development and Inquisition, while accumulating some GOTYs, is a bit mixed among fans.

Either way, with no hands experience, I must sign off my comment with my hope Bioware gets the coming game right. With massive disappointment that was Mass Effect: Andromeda and the outright failure of Anthem (which we should here about it's fate any day now I think?), this feels like a "three strikes and it's over" kind of situation for the studio. So long as EA goes hands-off (HA!) and senior level devs stop leaving the studio, there's a chance Dragon Age 4 (or whatever its official title will be) can be good. But I'm concerned (And no, I of the strong stance Bioware should NOT have made an official teaser for the next ME before DA 4 is out the door).

Also, tomorrow's final top 2 reveal is very expected, but I'm highly curious which way it'll break....

• Love origins honestly one of my favorite rpgs, the fantasy vane works for me so much better than something like mass effect, I've been wanting to revisit it for years.

It has some amazing characters like morrigan and Alistair and the story has some pretty significant weight being a pretty dark world.

I also like how the world itself feels quite unique with elves being treated like slaves , how magic is so dangerous and a curse to most.

Currently playing dragon age 3 since the mass effect trilogy has givin me that bioware itch and I never quite beat it at launch, as I felt kinda let down by it. In returning to it I'm really enjoying it more than I expect and it does alot right

Also great dragons.

• I had no recollection that this'd be the one game I was trying to figure out. To be in the top 3. Maybe I'll try out the next DA in the far future then, I've never played them.

But cheers to the deserving top 2!