The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• @jdincinerator Forza is not a sim my dude.

• Forza Motorsport 3 was great. Spent a lot of time on it with my friends. The Decal Designer was incredibly powerful. I remember watching a video interviewing the developers and they said they had thought that people had hacked the game and were uploading photoshops and stuff.

• @el-shmiablo Will simcade do?

• @jdincinerator said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!:

Forza Motorsport 3 was where the franchise really started to become the grandaddy of sim racers.

Gotta disagree with that statement. I don’t think any one single Forza game can beat any one Gran Turismo game. Even the physics and overall feel of GT6 is better than Forza 6 imo and that was PS3 vs Xbox One. Like I’ll take GT4 > ANY Forza and GT Sport > Forza 7.

• @dipset Indeed, I thought GT6 was superior to FM5 when they both released in 2013 but I do find that GT generally seems more antiquated than FORZA, although circuit racing is getting very boring now, especially when Forza has the Horizon series.

• If we're going to compare the most recent iterations of Forza and GT, I can't help but feel that GT has surpassed Forza in every important measure.
    They took a risk pushing for a more online centric game, but it paid off and broke that "antiquated" feel the previous entries in PS3 had that the series couldn't seem to shake for a bit. They honestly seemed to have traded places over time. Early to middle Forza entries were pushing for advancements that GT was lagging behind, but now Forza is the one that has a stale feel that it just can't shake.

Just want to be super clear that I'm not referring to Horizon. That shit is bangin and top tier stuff.

• Honestly when it comes to the driving model, between Forza and GT is really a matter of which you're more used to. I say this for two main reasons;

First, that me and one of my best friends are Forza and GT players respectively. Each one of us has a real hard time enjoying the other game when we play together. Mostly because both driving models are quite different (and semi-crappy from a simulation stand point).

Second, because from what I've gathered from several sim racers, they also tend to prefer whatever one they grew up with, but ultimately they tend to agree both are not that great simulators. I've even listen to complaints from YouTubers, lamenting that GT Sport became so big in terms of traffic because they would rather play proper sims.

I do enjoy watching GT Sport and hope the next Forza sorts out the online because Forza online racing is pathetically bad.

• @sheria I'm guessing it's the art style and music that puts people off. Otherwise it's a really well made game.

I also like the the chaotic multiplayer.

• Halo 3: ODST

#19. Halo 3: ODST - 6 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Lotias)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Phbz, Axel, paulmci27)

Information

Release date: September 22 [US/EU]
    Developer: Bungie
    Publisher: Microsoft
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Global Moderator

I really enjoyed ODST! I mean I'm a huge sucker for all things Halo. I didn't play much multiplayer, but a horde mode and a fun different campaign had me in a good mood.

• I only bought this for £1 a few years ago. So content wise it didn't bother me it was only 6 hours. I really liked what they were going for with the story & level design very different for a Halo game. The soundtrack is also excellent.

• Played it for the first time in 2020. Such a weird experiment on Halo, had to give it a HM.

• The only HALO game I could get into oddly and it's good stuff.

• I just put like 100 hours into Halo 3 (and still going) since it released on PC this summer and they JUST released the ODST update and I'm not impressed at all. The only thing I like about it is the Silenced Magnum in Recon SWAT, but the silenced scoped SMG is useless, and the feel of the single player is nothing special. Something just grody with the art style too.

Idk, not impressed in 2021 whereas Halo 3 has aged like a fine wine.

• @Phbz @JDINCINERATOR @El-Shmiablo

3:25-3:45 is why I can't get on board with Forza these days.
    Youtube Video – [03:26..]

The multiplayer is a degenerate wasteland. Single player is the only way to play and enjoy yourself which is a shame because the courses are really nice. Sam thing plagued Drive Club which was a pretty fun game, but the multiplayer had this points system which punished you for getting rammed then ramming another person. It was broken. Then obviously I have little nitpicks in regards to physics and my general driving preferences, but mainly the botched online is what holds the series back by today's standards. Not holding Forza 3 from 2009 anywhere near this critique.

• And as I expected, for what I feel like is the first time in forever, I can actually discuss a game in detail I didn't vote for. Halo 3 ODST was ninth overall on my list of 14, so it JUST missed out on getting an HM.

While I like the concept of roaming a city, at night, in the rain, all while cleaning the streets of Covenant, I don't think it really does enough to maintain it being captivating. Sure the piano score is wonderful, but eventually, the streets start to feel bare as you eliminate your foes. The investigation aspect is also nice, but the levels you play really aren't all that fun. HUD design just doesn't look right and the weapons don't feel like the have power to them. On top of that, the overall narrative isn't really strong, but there are a couple of endearing characters in Buck and Dare (Shoutout to Nathan Fillion's Buck becoming more important than expected). Finally, the hidden phone terminals with that side story about the girl and the crooked police chief was weird, and clearly the template for the format of the disastrous "Hunt the Truth" campaign for Halo 5.

Firefight is just another Horde-esque mode to me and doesn't really do anything I find interesting. Endless modes are a bother, so I've stayed away from it after trying it out a couple times. All that said, the game IS better if you have a friend to play with, but unlike the other Halo games where the campaigns are equally as fun whether you're alone or with a buddy, ODST is noticeably a more enjoyable time with a partner.

I didn't think I'd sound as harsh as I do when I started, but putting down my thoughts, I remembered this was initially a DLC codenamed Recon, so I guess my gripes are a little tabled in that it never was intended to be anything more than a sidestory to the events of what was happening with Halos 2 and 3.

• Plants vs. Zombies

#18. Plants vs. Zombies - 7 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Nimbat1003)
    #4: 1 (MiserablePerson)
    HM: 2 (HappyGaming, Brandon_Reister)

Information

Release date: May 5 [US/EU]
    Developer: PopCap Games
    Publisher: PopCap Games
    Genre: Tower defense
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Vita, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Halo 3 ODST never did it for me. The thing that sets it apart from other Halo games ends up being the worst part about it. There's nothing interesting going on in New Mombasa. It's just some boring fights that pale in comparison to the main missions. New Mombasa just seems like filler in an already short game.

• Plants vs Zombies is such a neat game. I feel that its simplicity and charming personality made it so accessible. It's like one of those games that non-players would easily enjoy a lot, and I think those kind of games are always great to have.

• Love plants vs zombies and don't forget Brandon brought it to hall of great, as said by bam it's a great game for casual fans so I did play it alot with my sister who never games.

as a fan of tower defense style games this fills alot of that need and just has a lovely charm and is so easy to play, it's nice that it does have a pretty solid campaign with a pelothra of side content as well