The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• I loved this new era of download only games. I bought in immediately and some of my favourite games from PS3 are download only or “PSN Games” as we used to say.

I’ve beaten Flower maybe 6-7 times. Something about the game is both addicting, yet calming, and extremely satisfying to rapidly bloom a bunch of flowers in succession where the individual instrument notes start to create real music all the while your peloton of pedals grow with diverse colours and respond with actual physics.

I think what made it so repeatable is that you aren’t going to do the game perfectly, so your experience is always unique with some degree of chaos. It’s almost like cleaning a dirty plate; do you start to scrub in the middle, wet the plate first, wet the sponge first? You’ll never do the same approach twice even if you mean to.

On a technical front, this was one of the big graphical showpieces of 2009. PS3 only started to spread its exclusive wings around 08-09 and seeing all those blades of grass reminded you like “ok this is how devs will use that CPU”.

YET, didn’t make my list! 2009 is STACKED

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!:

Flower was such a relaxing and beautiful game. Also when I played it, my mother (who isn't into videogames) stopped by and watched almost entire game. It was great.

Same sort of thing happened to me in 2013 in my university dorm. A friend down the hall was gifted an Xbox One from a distant uncle who clearly had no idea that my friend wasn’t even remotely into video games. I mean, he appreciates the art, but he’s not a gamer.

So he has AC4 Black Flag when it’s brand new and he’s kinda confused about things. Just isn’t really digging the Xbox. Comes into my room one day and I’m on PS3 and he sees the little thumbnail preview that PS3 used to do in the XMB when you hover over a game. He asks me about this because it looks so new to him. I show him the first level and he asks if he can play it.

I get wrapped up in social involvements around the other dorms and come back 4 hours later and he’s crouched on top of the furniture about 5 feet from the TV on the last level. He was completely into it and beat it in one go.

People said stuff like “what’s the point of playing a game as a flower, that’s so dumb” but look how it got complete non-gamers at least looking at gaming in a new light. I think he ended up playing Portal and something else that year too.

• Hey neat, Flower made it! What a zen experience to play. And just so pretty. I kept it installed on my PlayStations and every now and then returned to it just for some beauty and sense of fresh air. I should download it on PS5 now as well.

• I was at the height of my stoner-ness when Flower came out and shit was almost otherworldly.

• Flower made me appreciate nature a lot more than I did before I played it. Such a calm and blissful little game.

• @el-shmiablo said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!:

I was at the height of my stoner-ness when Flower came out and shit was almost otherworldly.

Journey came out when I was a pseudo pot-head for 9 months and my god was that game magical.

• @dipset I actually cried at the ending of Journey.
    Closest thing I think I've had to a religious experience in game form.

• @el-shmiablo To be fair, that game has some pretty overt (non-western) religious undertones.

(I love Journey).

• @naltmank I think that's why Journey is so appealing to me. I like when games try to evoke some sort of spiritual connection, and Journey's asian & middle eastern influences really clicks with me, at least visually. I still have it in my backlog though, haven't got around to actually playing it. Just waiting for the right time for it.

• Pokémon Platinum

#16. Pokémon Platinum - 8 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Jamicov, MXAGhost)
    #4: 1 (naltmank)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: March 22 [US], May 22 [EU]
    Developer: Game Freak
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• @naltmank To be honest it was more the connection I formed with the other person I played the vast majority of the game with.
    Like how a game gonna make me feel for some complete Rando who I can only communicate with using a series of chirps like that?

• For a long time, Pokemon defined a large portion of my childhood, and through the first three gens, I stuck with the games. My interest in the cards or show died out rather quickly, but the games were stalwarts. When the fourth gen arrived, I followed the same format: Got both games and was waiting on the eventual "third" game of each gen to see how different it would be.

So, I fired up Diamond, excited to see what would come next.

And I did NOT like it.

I found the move to the 3D models to be ugly, the balancing is incredibly off with fire types being nonexistent, the areas were not appealing, the difficulty spike was a bit ridiculous, HM management (as is often the case) was infuriating with the overwhelmingly nonsensical "Fog," and while Teams Rocket, Magma, and Aqua are fine, Team Galactic was, to me, showed a downward trend the "evil groups" were becoming. All the gimmicky mini-game-esque stuff on the bottom screen just felt unnecessary. By the time I finally defeated the Champion, I had LONG since mentally checked out. I tried to start Pearl a little while after that playthrough, but soon realized (I didn't get far enough to catch enough Pokemon for a full team yet) I just didn't care. My enthusiasm for the franchise as a whole was killed by the fourth gen. All of this long-winded-ness to say I've never touched Platinum, and never will, because of how almost every change introduced was not for me.

• Street Fighter IV

#15. Street Fighter IV - 8 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    #3: 1 (HappyGaming)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Crepe)

Information

Release date: February 17 [US], February 20 [EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Fighting
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I know Street Fighter as a pinnacle brand for Fighting games, and next to Street Fighter II, I don't think I hear praise for any other entry more than IV. I do know V wasn't received well for a variety of reasons, but I do remember the hype as it was leading up to launch. Still, while the genre isn't for me, I respect what IV has done for the FGC and the genre as a whole alongside Mortal Kombat, Tekken, and Marvel vs. Capcom to name a few.

• IN-DE-STRUC-TIBLLLLLLE

I have had this game since launch and still play it semi-regularly and also still absolutely SUCK at it. While vanilla is not the best edition, it’s the one that started the freight train that was the SFIV series. It was also the only version that didn’t include Rose’s ultra 2 and it also didn’t have Yun, Rolento or (barf) Elena.

• I forgot about Street Fighter IV when making my list but I'm not sure if it would made my top 8. I enjoy it but it doesn't stand out so much in my mind as Street Fighter 2, 3 and the Alpha games do.

• I can't get on with Street Fighter games but Street Fighter IV appears to be the most loved game in the franchise. I did play Street Fighter 2 on PS1 and remember really enjoying it-but the combat has put me off from returning to the series.

• Left 4 Dead 2

#14. Left 4 Dead 2 - 10 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sazime)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (DemonPirate, Capnbobamous)
    HM: 1 (Brannox)

Information

Release date: November 17 [US], November 20 [EU]
    Developer: Valve
    Publisher: Valve
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I had a great time playing Left 4 Dead 2 with my friends. It's maybe a little too similar to the first Left 4 Dead, which isn't a bad thing. It's just less impressive when you play basically the same game as the year before. Left 4 Dead 2 is #13 of 22 on my list.

• Left 4 Dead is one of simplest franchises in concept, but is no less enjoyable with its campaign structure. While I prefer the first to the sequel, it is inarguable fact L4D2 only adds more: More campaigns, more characters, more Special infected, and more weapons, including the melee variety, from axes and bats to even Chainsaws. Even the separated mode where you have to collect gas cans to power a motor has some fun to it for a while.

It just missed out on my top four, as it places 5th overall on the list of 14 I have for the year, but it's still one of my favorite games and I am SO EXCITED for Back 4 Blood later this year. Like everyone else (including Turtle Rock it seems), I wish Valve could count to three.

One final thing about L4D2: To hell. With. Hard. Rain.

And as I always like to do (within reason), shoutouts to my fellow voters, @Sazime, @DemonPirate , and @Capnbobamous!