The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• Street Fighter IV is incredible. I would always been excited for new episodes of Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross. A shame that Mike has become an anime fighter hermit and Gootecks became a right wing Trumper chud.

Left 4 Dead is just pure fun. Not much else to say about it. It's just as good to hop on with bros as it ever was.

• Catching up.

No strong feelings for either SF IV or L4D2, but SF IV looked so cool to me and got so much buzz that I ended up buying SF II (I know) and at least learning about some gaming history. I never had anybody introduce me to fighting games so I never felt comfortable jumping right into SF IV, but I respect the work.

Per L4D2 - I remember being pretty shocked they'd release a sequel within 12 month or less. I never really got into those shoot shoot shoot games but they are immensely popular these days and partly thanks to L4D2 proving that coop multiplayer is probably more viable than competitive in the long run. I think the whole industry learned a lot from this game. A few friends of mine were thinking about getting into it in 2021, so I'll report back about that experience.

• @dipset Bro if you ever want to get into fightan games, hit me up. I'm generally pretty shit at them, but I love em and love to introduce others to the wonderful world of fighting games.

Look up Excellent Adventures on YT if you just want to watch two best bros having the time of their life in Street Fighter IV/V online fights.

• @el-shmiablo @DIPSET me too, me too! Connection should be super good cross-continent.

And for Excellent Adventures, I strongly recommend the episodes with K Brad, Flow and Scar almost entirely for their interactions with Mike.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    https://youtu.be/Gy54VTYsj-U
    This will always and forever be one of the best videos of anything on the internet ever.

• Left 4 Dead 2 is some of the most fun I've ever had in online gaming. It's just such a simple, streamlined concept that works so well, and is pretty much infinitely relatable because of it.

• Borderlands

#13. Borderlands - 12 points

Votes

#1: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Sazime)
    HM: 5 (Brannox, Brandon_Reister, ffff0, Exist 2 Inspire, MiserablePerson)

Information

Release date: October 20 [US], October 23 [EU]
    Developer: Gearbox Software
    Publisher: 2K Games
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Borderlands was a fun game that felt new and unique for a shooter at the time, with it's combination of shooter mechanics, progression systems and cooldown abilities. And it was always exciting to see what kind of weird new gun would drop next.

Story wise, sometimes it was humorous but most of the jokes didn't land for me, and I was unable to connect with any of the characters. That's one area where I think Borderlands 3 did a much better job than the previous games in the series. Borderlands ranked #12 of 22 on my 2009 list.

• Borderlands as a whole series, now in retrospect, is something I've enjoyed a good deal, but I didn't start with the original until some years after, while in college because some friends said I should get it to play with them. Almost IMMEDIATELY after starting a new run, they just dropped it, and I decided to create a new character from scratch and just play through it alone.

At the time, I thought it was... fine. And now with how much the Sequel is just a top-down, complete overhaul and improvement in so many areas, it's VERY difficult to think I'll ever replay this again. Story being mostly non-existent, the main things that pushed me forward were, 1.) What awesome gun can I find next? 2.) I wonder what other environments Pandora has. And 3.) At least the DLC seems promising (I grabbed the Game of the Year edition).

And not going back is just a tad of a bummer because I'm SO CLOSE to having 100% completion. I just need to do two of three Horde-esque challenges, but those are such a massive grind and time sink, they're just not worth it. I would need someone to be a very small level, just enough to unlock the DLC arena in their game, then they can just host and not have to be around (enemies scale to host and with a 60 or 70 something character, I'm able to completely one-shot everything).

Any way, weird tangent aside, with how it's poorly aged in it's graphics, no real story, lack of co-op players to play with, and the knowledge of how well everything after this is so much better, I think I'll forever leave it as a memory of a different time. Still, I have it 6th overall on a list of 14 2009 games, so an HM it is.

And as I JUST did for Left 4 Dead 2, shoutouts to my fellow voters, @E_Zed_Eh_Intern, @Sazime, @Brandon_Reister, @ffff0, @Exist-2-Inspire, and @MiserablePerson.

• The whole looter shooter craze doesn't appeal to me but at least Borderlands was and still is ballsy and has its own distinctive swagger. I can't particularly get on well with grindy games especially when all you're actively doing throughout is shooting enemies dead, but because Borderlands has an aura and a quirkiness about it-the grind can be overlooked because it does have some entertainment nestled away inside.

• To be honest, I don't remember anything about Borderlands, besides Claptrap-stairs joke (or was it in 2? Now I'm doubting myself). But I've liked it enough to get hooked on the series, so I've put it at #8 in my votes.

• @ffff0 stairs?! NOOOOOOOO

End of Borderlands 2

• I played Borderlands through to the end for the first time in 2018. Honestly, I ended up not really enjoying it. As a solo experience it feels pretty grindy and not very fun. I don't think the writing was very good either.

• I honestly tried my best but I just can't get into Borderlands.

• Borderlands is neat, but I find the gunplay to be very stale and lacking impact, though I haven't played 3 so they might have changed that a bit.
    Knowing that Borderlands is also directly responsible for Aliens Colonial Marines being a huge trash fire also sullied my opinion of the game, so yeah.

• Don't mind borderlands but one in particular is very forgetful for me and not to mention that God awful ending, really like 2 if mostly for handsome Jack.

• $60+ tax was a lot for a teenager and Borderlands was an instant regret. For starters, I don't think you could just plug n play with split screen. So you either needed to do the campaign fully split screen or fully single player. On top of that, when I tried playing with my friend online, he was too far ahead of me so I couldn't play with him unless I caught up to his level so we'd essentially have to play the game co-op and stay within the same level.

I know some of that stuff is common for these types of games, and MMO's but playing this with a friend was the only bearable way of doing things and the game made it a massive pain in the ass. Plus a ton of lag and all that jazz.

Honestly, it just isn't very fun. I was kinda perplexed by how the gameplay is just shoot shoot shoot. Every gun felt samey, every quest was a fetch quest, the level design was bad and flat. I don't get Borderlands at all.

• I step away for one day...

Left 4 Dead 2 was something I probably spent more time playing multi-player than anything else I've ever played, including MMOs (I would solo a lot catching up to my clan from update to update). Over 250 hours of repeated playthroughs, trying the harder skill levels and seeing how fast we could get through maps. Loved playing that game.

Borderlands is my favorite unfinished game. So much of that title feels weirdly empty, the pacing is a mess, and as much as I liked the multiplayer, it could have been implemented better, like @DIPSET said. It just felt good riding up against the difficulty ceiling. As long as the enemies were at a decent enough level, there was a lot of fun to be had running around like a maniac to keep yourself alive and rezzing teammates.

F that second area car boss fight, though. Still hate that one.

• Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

#12. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City - 12 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Hazz3r)
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (NeoCweeny, DIPSET)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)

Information

Release date: October 29 [US/EU]
    Developer: Rockstar North
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• As someone who isn't into GTA, it will never NOT surprise me to periodically discover/find out there's a GTA I've either never heard of, or maybe once or twice in passing.

As such, it shouldn't surprise me Rockstar bundled these two DLC together. I'm of the mindset Rockstar could make something completely different than they've done before, slap GTA on the cover, and continue to print the mega millions of dollars they'll always bring in.