The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!

• @el-shmiablo So you’re saying is it was perfect for the millions of adults that had bought it for Wii Sports and Mario Olympics?

• I feel the same about New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I think it's the only 2D Mario I've never played, and I have absolutely no desire to do so. It really strikes me as having no personality, no "theme", indeed no soul.

I'm sure it's still extremely competent as a platformer, but it just feels... skippable.

• Go go Cursed Mountain!

Mario on Wii is great though. Not sure why that gets a hard time when stuff like Mega Man 9 and 10 gets praised. Nothing wrong with falling back on a tried and tested formula, especially one so highly rated.

• Forza Motorsport 3

#20. Forza Motorsport 3 - 5 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Phbz)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: October 23 [EU], October 27 [US]
    Developer: Turn 10 Studios
    Publisher: Microsoft
    Genre: Racing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Someone loved it at least lol.

• Forza 3 was a personal obsession. Many many hours spent just improving lap times and getting to top 3%-1%. We were just talking on another thread about how goty contenders tend to ignore genres like racing, and here we have a game with 92 on Metacritic that got ignored once the gotys came. Trully phenomenal game, and my 2009 personal goty pick. Even better that thanks to me it will feature in our top 20. :D

• I didn't own a 360 so I never really tapped into Forza until Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 4. I think those games are solid, but I expect the WOW-Factor with those games came around this time because they don't really feel too impactful these days. F7 is kinda meh, but I've heard Forza 3 is a classic.

• I've never gravitated towards the Forza series as I got my sim fix early enough with Gran Turismo years prior, and I'm set for life with the genre. Though, in Forza 3's case, I actually have the disc because it's a part of a bundle with Halo 3: ODST and when I purchased ODST, it never told me Forza would be bundled with it.

This means Forza Motorsport 3 is the only game in my entire life I unknowingly purchased, currently own, and have/will never play.

• GameTrailers review of Forza 3 (made me feel nostalgic)
    Youtube Video

• Banned

Forza really could have been great, but the near annual releases hindered the series more than it helped. Now it's stagnated and fallen behind Gran Turismo again. Those earlier entries really gave GT a run for their money though.

Forza Horizon is in a while but her category though. Sony doesn't have anything that comes close to that in terms of arcade racers. Shame they killed off Motorstorm, since I think that could have been their Horizon with the right direction.

• Forza Motorsport 3 was where the franchise really started to become the grandaddy of sim racers.

• Banned

@jdincinerator Forza is not a sim my dude.

• Forza Motorsport 3 was great. Spent a lot of time on it with my friends. The Decal Designer was incredibly powerful. I remember watching a video interviewing the developers and they said they had thought that people had hacked the game and were uploading photoshops and stuff.

• @el-shmiablo Will simcade do?

• @jdincinerator said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2009!:

Forza Motorsport 3 was where the franchise really started to become the grandaddy of sim racers.

Gotta disagree with that statement. I don’t think any one single Forza game can beat any one Gran Turismo game. Even the physics and overall feel of GT6 is better than Forza 6 imo and that was PS3 vs Xbox One. Like I’ll take GT4 > ANY Forza and GT Sport > Forza 7.

• @dipset Indeed, I thought GT6 was superior to FM5 when they both released in 2013 but I do find that GT generally seems more antiquated than FORZA, although circuit racing is getting very boring now, especially when Forza has the Horizon series.

• Banned

If we're going to compare the most recent iterations of Forza and GT, I can't help but feel that GT has surpassed Forza in every important measure.
    They took a risk pushing for a more online centric game, but it paid off and broke that "antiquated" feel the previous entries in PS3 had that the series couldn't seem to shake for a bit. They honestly seemed to have traded places over time. Early to middle Forza entries were pushing for advancements that GT was lagging behind, but now Forza is the one that has a stale feel that it just can't shake.

Just want to be super clear that I'm not referring to Horizon. That shit is bangin and top tier stuff.

• Honestly when it comes to the driving model, between Forza and GT is really a matter of which you're more used to. I say this for two main reasons;

First, that me and one of my best friends are Forza and GT players respectively. Each one of us has a real hard time enjoying the other game when we play together. Mostly because both driving models are quite different (and semi-crappy from a simulation stand point).

Second, because from what I've gathered from several sim racers, they also tend to prefer whatever one they grew up with, but ultimately they tend to agree both are not that great simulators. I've even listen to complaints from YouTubers, lamenting that GT Sport became so big in terms of traffic because they would rather play proper sims.

I do enjoy watching GT Sport and hope the next Forza sorts out the online because Forza online racing is pathetically bad.

• @sheria I'm guessing it's the art style and music that puts people off. Otherwise it's a really well made game.

I also like the the chaotic multiplayer.

• Halo 3: ODST

#19. Halo 3: ODST - 6 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Lotias)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Phbz, Axel, paulmci27)

Information

Release date: September 22 [US/EU]
    Developer: Bungie
    Publisher: Microsoft