Favorite DLC/Expansions

• Hi everyone,

What are some of your favorite DLC/Expansions? I focused mostly on expansions with my favorites but if Minecraft Steve in Smash is your favorite of all-time, that works too. L&R.

Here are 5 of my favorites:

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
    I started playing WOW during The Burning Crusade expansion and stopped with the Mists of Pandaria expansion. Throughout that time, the most fun I had with WOW was during Wrath of the Lich King. Whether it was PvP with battlegrounds and arena matches, or it was PvE with raids and quest content. I was completely invested in this expansion, as was my guild (The Dark Brotherhood) at that time.

Although I mostly lost all desire to play WOW around the 4.3 patch of the Cataclysm expansion. I still have very fond memories of playing that game during the Wrath days with all my guildmates. For the Horde!

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and the Damned
    Two 10 plus hour expansions that add new weapons, vehicles, missions, music and more. They also both have really great story's that are on par with the story of the base game.

It's disappointing that Rockstar won't even attempt to make single player DLC like this anymore. They ditched single player DLCs for the more lucrative microtransactions of GTA V and RDR 2 online. And I just have zero interest in playing those games online.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine
    This expansion takes everything that made The Witcher 3 great and improves upon it. Toussaint is such an incredible unique new area, that was a joy to explore and to interact with.

With about 30 hours worth of gameplay and it's own main storyline, Blood and Wine has more than enough quality content to pass as it's own stand alone game. The DLC can even provide you with a pre-leveled Geralt to play it specifically, and in some ways it's even a better experience than the base game, with it's more focused story and gameplay refinements.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Shivering Isles
    Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all-time but the DLC content that Bethesda released before Shivering Isles wasn't great. It started with the infamously bad horse armor pack and most of what came after was fairly short and unremarkable.

That's why the amount of unique quality content introduced in Shivering Isles blew me away. The Shivering Isles felt very different from that of Cyrodiil. Not just different in visual style but also with it's inhabitants, political structure and the creepy vibes that permeate that world. All of which come to life with it's well-written quests and characters. Most notably is the mad prince himself, Sheogorath.

This expansion would not be as strong of a stand alone game as Blood and Wine, but when paired with Oblivion, it's my favorite game and expansion combination. I believe that it's important to experience the Shivering Isles expansion to really experience all of what Oblivion has to offer.

• Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction and Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls.
    I would argue that neither of these games was even that good until they recieved their expansion. Like what even was D2's meta before LoD? Silks of the Victor? Fucking LOL.
    Diablo 3 was similarly a raging dumpster fire, but for a host of other reasons. The patch immediately preceding Reaper of Souls fixed a lot of those problems (killed Auction House, fixed itemization, unfuckulated the difficulty, etc) and then RoS turned it into the amazing game D3 has become. Hell, it is probably one of my most played games of all time now. Even now I occasionally log on with the wife to do a few greater rifts.

• This might not count since it's just an update, but I truly appreciate Ghost of Tsushima's Lethal difficulty update. They actually made a hard difficulty mode that makes the game so much better in pretty much all situations. Shoutout to the Legends mode as well, it's a quite competent multiplayer mode, and it's free.

I enjoyed all of Battlefield 3's multiplayer expansions, but Aftermath takes the cake for me as the best one. It has the most unique concept of the DLCs, with it taking place in maps that has been ravaged by earthquakes, which also makes the level design more unique. There's also cool touches like having the vehicles look like some post-apocalypse scrap heap.

I only watched Huber's playthrough of it, but I think RE7's End of Zoe is a pure stroke of genius. It's such a wild and fun concept, and I wish more DLCs were as crazy as this.

I haven't bought any of the Smash Ultimate DLC characters yet, but I'm sure at least one of them will make it here for me.

• Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion because the main campaign of Splatoon 2 was easily arguably worse than the campaign of 1, and still needed to be a "tutorial" for new players, but Octo Expansion was allowed to be challenging post-game content while being so much more interesting structure and storywise. It was exactly what Splatoon 2 needed.