5 Years Since GameTrailers Shutdown

• It's almost 5 years since GT closed its doors. It's time to commemorate and share memories.

• I only got to know the allies after GT closed down, so there's not really much I can say, but I have been watching some of their old content, and I stumbled upon this gloriously degenerate Lucky Hit stream of Shenmue II last year. The Shenmue II streams are great btw, already watched most of them.

Youtube Video

• I also got to GT after it was already dead and it was through Final Bosman. I got hugely hooked on watching that backlog until I had seen them all. Kyle was what eventually brought me over to EZA and, sadly, his leaving is likely the reason I couldn't tell you the last time I watched one of their streams or videos. His breakdown on Mortal Kombat character design and name for the designer are two of my favourite memories.

Youtube Video

• Joined the site in 2006 under the name "LetsGoTaco" later down the road I switched it to "FROSTFIRE" then landed on "GoTaco".

GameTrailers was just an amazing website. I recall in my pre-PS3 days of getting hyped up to jump into next gen, I just ravenously consume any and all media on that site. I am so hyper aware of so many games from 2005-2012 (good, bad, and everything in-between) because I'd just watch everything they'd scrape from around the internet and uploaded to the site.

The site also had so many amazing community features like blogs and user videos. I couldn't compete with the visual design photoshop compositers on there showing their art off but I made little blogs about casting hollywood actors in video game adaptation movies. I was like 12 years old in 2006 so I'm sure it was D-U-M-B.

Old avatars and sigs I used:
    4_1613064182442_Kim avatar.jpg 3_1613064182442_Frostsig.png 2_1613064182442_Frostava.png 1_1613064182441_avatar.jpg 0_1613064182441_Armor Spider.png
    5_1613064319094_trailer park boys sig.png 4_1613064319093_Spyro ava zoom.png 3_1613064319093_ricky avatar good.png 2_1613064319093_p4-yukiko-27.jpg 1_1613064319093_OLD DEFAULT GT AVATAR.png 0_1613064319092_deaddragon.jpg
    (Edgy... I know...)

I have some Halls of Valhalla threads saved in my bookmarks, but I've been wanting to dive into the Wayback Machine more thoroughly to find all the gems. It's a shame forums are basically a dying breed outside of Discord and ResetEra. The GT Forums were very active back in the day and it was fun. I was pretty sad when GT shut down but the writing was on the wall. They did a good job after Shane left but the whole industry was changing.

--

I also have some classic comments saved such as the good ol LittleBigPlanet comment:

0_1613064373599_258tj6s_zpsjedj3rt1.jpg

--

Halls of Valhalla - Full List of Threads

The magnum opus of the GT Forums... Shell Hammer!

0_1613064429966_shell hammer.jpg

FUUUUUUUK wrong thread. Can somebody move this post to the 5 Years Since GT Thread?

• I used to watch GT reviews randomly on YouTube, I just learned to recognise the voice, so Brandon is the reason why I eventually got into GT. And even that was accidental. I was going through X360 apps, saw one named GT and then I realized it was the guy with the cool voice from the reviews. Then I got really into GT content.

The day the news of the end of GT surfaced I got genuinely sad. But as soon as the patreon became a thing I jumped right in.

From the people that left EZA I miss Elyse the most. Loved seeing her work with Ian. Kyle I enjoy more his Final Bosman kinda stuff but in social situations he can be kind of obnoxious.

• GT days were glory days of gaming forums. during 2010-12 it was most active gaming community.

• I wish there's a documentary or something that details the history and GT's influence on the community. Would be cool.

• Everyone stop the presses! The most legendary 8 minutes in GameTrailers history!
    Youtube Video

• Started watching GT around 2013-2014 with GT Countdown, which I found through ScrewAttack's Top 10s. Other favorite series were GT Time, The Final Bosman, Pop Fiction, & Pach Attack, then later on Level, Dumb Game Monday, and Mandatory Update Nights.

Here's one of my favorite episodes of GT Countdown (one of the last ones they did), which is just sweet (though Omar's story does raise an eyebrow):

Youtube Video

• Global Moderator

@dipset a bit late, sorry, but have moved your post from a few days ago to this thread!

• Banned

i remember that year when the entire GT forums cracked the shits because Kirby's Epic Yarn won best Graphics at E3 instead of a PS3 or 360 game.
    good times.

• Banned

also this will never get old.

Youtube Video

• @yoshi said in 5 Years Since GameTrailers Shutdown:

also this will never get old.

And this:

Youtube Video

• I believe this was the very last thing GT released aside from the farewell stream:

Youtube Video

• The wildest episode of Mandatory Update:

Youtube Video