Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition

• WarioWare: shove it up your ass

• From the guy that leaked Half Life VR 4 years in advance comes....mostly speculation
    Youtube Video

• 50 minutes...

Open the floodgates.

• @dmcmaster I don't know why it appears that people think the next game in the Zelda series will be dubbed "Breath of the Wild 2". I get that it's the easiest name to go with because we won't know the title of the next game until Nintendo unveil it, but surely the sequel won't be called that because Zelda games stand apart and just tacking a 2 on BOTW makes me believe it'll just be the same game but bigger.

• @jdincinerator said in Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition:

@dmcmaster I don't know why it appears that people think the next game in the Zelda series will be dubbed "Breath of the Wild 2". I get that it's the easiest name to go with because we won't know the title of the next game until Nintendo unveil it, but surely the sequel won't be called that because Zelda games stand apart and just tacking a 2 on BOTW makes me believe it'll just be the same game but bigger.

The one Zelda game that had a number in it still had a subtitle. And I doubt they'd do that at this point in time, where subtitles are often used for DLC. They'll want clear separation to reduce doubt that it is its own thing.

• @oscillator:

50 minutes...

Nobody tell them.

• @mbun thats pretty long for a nintendo direct

• BAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

• Big tiddie sword girls join Smash

• Eff yes Mario Golf!

And it has story mode!!

• Fuck Yes <3 <3 <3
    Youtube Video

• Gotta say Famicom Detective Club had me surprised.

Also Ninja Gaiden Collection

• This didn't really feel any more significant than the "minis" we had last year. Happy for Splatoon fans and will maybe give Skyward Sword a go without motion controls but aside from that and Mario Golf, nothing here for me.

• Aside from some pretty bad trailers (wtf was that EA ball throwing game) I think this was a pretty okay Direct.... All I care about is Skyward Sword HD!!! It's like one of the top 3 Nintendo games I always wanted to play. Now I'm gonna try to finish BOTW before that comes out. I can't fucking wait.

• Splatoon 3 fuck yeah!!!!

• Project TRIANGLE STRATEGY! Octopath Traveler but with Fire Emblem/FF Tactics combat, yeah I'll play that. I just wish it was this year.

Youtube Video

• Project Triangle Strategy is hype. World's End Club looks really fun. Can't wait to play Skyward Sword.

• I think Project Triangle Strategy is to Final Fantasy Tactics what Octopath (and Bravely Default, FF4Heroes of Light before it) were to FFI & III. Really excited to see more from it!

• Looking back I'm a bit more excited for Legend of Mana then I thought. Honestly I hope Square gets to porting or remastering more forgotten titles (Brave Fencer Mushai When?)

• Having watched the Direct twice now, I realize the Direct wasn't as bad as it originally seemed, because it was so bogged down by trash between all the good nuggets. If you just remove that stuff, it is actually a pretty great Direct.

More Splatoon 3 information explained on this Twitter thread below that sheds light and confirms lots of the game changers they're adding, and I feel like I saw even more from studying the trailer that could be massive shakeups.

Sure, it isn't until (probably Summer) 2022, but CHAOS REIGNS, and that is looking to be a pretty major shakeup for Splatoon 3, given some people complained 2 felt too much like 1 at launch. If ORDER had won the Final Splatfest Splatpocalypse, we would've gotten a wildly different game, and that's pretty awesome letting your playerbase decide the direction the series goes like that, which they also did between 1 and 2 to a much lesser degree.

Also, for those who don't know Splatoon lore, remember that little buddy they introduced with you at the beginning? Their race are the harbingers of the apocalypse, well the recent or possibly even coming soon one. Their larger variants could very well be an added playable race by the end of 3, the way Octolings went from the primary enemy of 1 to friends by the end of 2. Currently however, they were the star antagonists of Splatoon 2's Horde Mode, Salmon Run, and we've been mass harvesting their unhatched children because a very shady talking wooden bear sculpture was paying us to.

Here's some other tidbits worth mentioning. They did away with gender (the game used to call it style) limitations between hair and pants options. Everyone gets to choose from the whole pool now. Choosing your Respawn Points is the hypest shit to me, because it feels like a needed solution for spawncamping, which has been a bit of a problem since the original. They also added new base movement options everyone gets that one of the tweets in the chain above talks about. You can vertically launch yourself up inked walls much faster now, as well as do some kind of spiral sling forward, which should drastically change gameplay and makes me wonder if the Dualie weapon type will get changed since a fast Dodge Roll used to be their central gimmick. A big focus of trying to set Splatoon 2 apart from the original was scrapping every single Special from 1 and creating all new ones for Splatoon 2, but this time around they seem to be taking the route of combining new Specials with a mix of modified old Specials, as they demonstrated a more chaotic version of the ever popular Tenta Missiles from Splatoon 2.

I know the allies didn't exactly go wild for the Splatoon 3 announcement, and people like Ian thought it still looked like basically the same game, but no they're actually changing alot, and that was just our first look. I'm sure they also have new Modes to announce, as well as campaign details and such, that we'll be getting a bit closer to launch.