Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition

• @scotty said in Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition:

As a recent Zelda fan, now they only need to bring Twilight Princess and Ocarina Of Time remake and I'm good to go

just play them on 3DS, Wii U, Wii , Gamecube or N64

they've never released Skyward Sword on anything other than Wii but Ocarina of Time and TP have had craploads of re-release's

• @yoshi

Nope, I want to be able to play them on Switch and have all of them in one console. I'm also sure OoT can justify one more remake with modern take.

• @scotty said:

Where the hell is new DK Country game!? I love that series.

Retro is busy with Metroid Prime 4 now. If they were working on one before that, it either got scrapped or delayed. It seemed from hints though that they were working on some other game starring a robot before that is either still being worked on or got scrapped.

• @mbun

Can't they pass the project to other avaliable studios?

• @scotty Retro has made the modern ones, and Rare is no longer with Nintendo. Maybe there's someone else who could make one, but I don't think it'd hit the same level of quality as the Retro ones have achieved.

• Skyward Sword without motion controls sounds great to me :D

All the other Zelda rereleases on 3DS and WiiU had a lot of small improvements to them. I'm curious to see what they'll do with this one. There is a lot of room for improvement.

• @neocweeny Seemed like they're not doing much honestly, beyond option nonmotion controls, 60 FPS, and HD, which are admittedly pretty big changes.

• @mbun Could be that are still some changes. The other remasters also had some small changes that they didn't talk about pre-release. Quality of life changes and stuff like that.

I wish they would cut down on some of the Fi and other interruptions as well as some of the padding.

• Skyward Sword is one of the worst 3D Zelda's by far. Absolute horseshit.

That Octopath Tactics game looks lit af

Pyra/Mythra are a waste of a slot. Literally would have been more excited for another FE rep.

Everything else ranged from bad to meh.

• @yoshi Sorry I'm not as impressed by mediocrity and bad decisions as you, I guess?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• @el-shmiablo said in Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition:

Sorry I'm not as impressed by mediocrity and bad decisions as you, I guess?

cool. now have fun not being able to upgrade your PS5 SSD storage data.

• That was really disappointing. First proper direct in n a while and nothing of relevance.

I'll be happy to play Skyward Sword, although that art style needed Nintendo to make a minimal investment, but that might be asking too much. Mario Golf looks super fun, I won't play it ever probably.

Absolute best moment
    0_1613697802227_IMG_20210219_003234.jpg

• @yoshi I've got 300 games installed to an external drive right now dude.

Is this really what you're doing?

• I'm surprised to see so much negativity about this Direct (not necessarily here, but all over internet), to me it was really enjoyable and there were some very sweet surprises. They said it was going to be updates for existing games, or coming in the first half of 2021, so anyone expecting a full blowout for Metroid Prime 4 or BotW 2 was setting themselves up for disappointment.

Project Triangle Strategy is like the perfect dream game I never knew I wanted, tried the demo last night and it instantly became my most-anticipated game, so that could make me slightly biased.

Not sure why everyone acts like Splatoon 3 isn't a big deal, of course they haven't shown enough to see how it shakes up the formula but it is a huge announcement whether you're fan or not.

Mario Golf is a typical spring game, of course not a blockbuster but it looks great for what it is.

Skyward Sword is personally my favorite 3D Zelda (outside of BotW), it's definitely a slow-burn and has lots of room for improvement, but the highs are really high, I have very fond memories of it (although there's no way I'll buy it again). Also all signs point to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess following throughout the year, so put down the pitchforks Zelda fans, the anniversary is only getting started.

Speaking of which though, what is it with the obsession for Nintendo anniversaries? Why is Nintendo seemingly obligated to celebrate the anniversary of every single series they have every 5 years by releasing multiple games? Have there been regular Assassin's Creed/God of War/Ratchet & Clank/Call of Duty/Final Fantasy 5th/10th/15th anniversary celebrations? Companies may celebrate those when they happen to align with an actual release, or decide to launch a bundle, but they can't whip up games on demand just to meet arbitrary dates. /end of rant

Legend of Mana is another personal highlight, love the series but I never played that one and it's a cult classic, so I'll be happy to give it a shot!

Pyra in Smash, I don't care either way, it could be ANYONE and there would be people complaining, they just can't win. There was a rep for Xeno 1, now there's a rep for Xeno 2, makes sense to me. At least it's not Rex!

New content for Animal Crossing, Age of Calamity as expected, that's good too.

Neon White, World’s End Club, and Famicom Detective Club are cool oddities!

Then there's all the ports which obviously won't matter to most of us because we may have played those games before, but it's still cool to see them come to Switch. Something like Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is bound to make someone happy!

Of course I would have been overjoyed with a new 2D Metroid, DKC or whatever, but again this is only for the next 4-5 months, and this time period is rarely the one where high-profile Nintendo games launch, so it's par for the course (golf, get it?)

• @el-shmiablo said in Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition:

I've got 300 games installed to an external drive right now dude.

i wonder how many of them are PS5 games though. not just PS4 games.

• i fucking love how we the players directly affected splatoon 3's story. the inkling was in the World of Chaos at the beginning of the trailer because team chaos won in the chaos vs order final splatfest of 2019.

makes me even more hyped for splatoon 3. we the players specifically asked for this story haha

• @axel More games is always cool, but with this type of events there's always the expectation for something big and meaningful.

I don't know, from a marketing perspective the whole point of generating hype, getting all media eyes on you and gathering millions of fans around an event, should be to drop something big and then collect the dividends as positive reactions reverberate across social media. If you completely fail to meet any expectations, disappointment is what's going to be echoed. Specially this being the first proper Direct in a while that seemed like a waste.

Then on top of that there's, I think, a lack of understanding from Nintendo of who's their main target in such an event. Switch has a huge % of cross ownership, being a complementary system to many. I imagine there's a huge amount of people just like me that won't touch the system unless there's some main 1st party title coming but will lose their shit at a glimpse of a Botw2 or Metroid Prime. I'll buy Zelda because I haven't played it but my reaction to it is just "well, that looks like shit but I'll buy it".

But no doubt, there's a lot of cool stuff there and I can see things from the other side too. As someone who plays mainly on Xbox, when everyone is giving them shit for their "Directs", I'm usually OK with them because as my main system they are just showing me cool stuff that's coming and "yes please Stalker 2 day one on Gamepass!", while someone watching it from a hype POV will feel disappointed, no doubt. But I also criticise MS for their lack of understanding in how to harvest consumer goodwill from such events. At the very least make sure to kill all hype beforehand.

• Handling a man's Squirtle!!!! >:(
    0_1613731806727_Screenshot_20210219-212940_YouTube.jpg

• @yoshi Why does that matter even slightly?
    I gave my opinion about the Direct, which is what this thread is for, and for some ridiculous reason you got incredibly butthurt started attacking me, and bringing up Playstation because for some reason you seem to think I care.

Why are you the way that you are?