Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition

• I'd post my version of the template but I don't want anybody getting offended and stalking me and my family's social media accounts out of retaliation.

• 0_1613798623045_Nintendo Direct 1.jpg

8/30

• Just learned via the Playstation store that Legend of Mana is $30, which seems a bit much honestly. I mean hell even FF8 was like $20

• @dmcmaster I'm sure it'll go on sale and before only $15 (half off) before long, but yeah that does seem like a bit much for those who'd want it at launch. Game pricing is so wildly inconsistent these days.

• @el-shmiablo Skyward Sword gets such a bad rep for no reason. It's honestly an amazing game.

• 0_1613911824620_EumChjKXYAQM0AP.jpg

Honestly, I had a pretty good time.

• I gotta say, that hyrule warriors expansion pass trailer was terrible. it basically was just a long list you would have to pause to read through and understand. they should have shown something more of substance.

• @bigdude1
    I mean they kinda confirmed Purah is coming, so there's that.

• @bigdude1 I wonder if it was to cut down on time during the Direct, but like you said you literally had to pause to be able to read it, so it should've just been a tweet outside the Direct instead.

• tbh i'm pretty glad they kept the news about the Age of Calamity expansion pass short and over and done with.

DLC for game was always a certainty and either Hyrule Warriors games are your thing and you were gonna buy the DLC anyway, or you don't are and were unlikely to ever finish the game let alone buy the DLC for it anyway.

• I kinda caught up with all of this news late, but I just want to put this out there.

The SaGa Frontier remaster will have content that was scrapped in the original release. Specifically, the Fuse scenario was required to get the complete ending but it was never included in the original PSX release. Pretty hyped for that.

• @crepe Oh man I'm fucking losing my shit over the remaster. One of my favorite JRPGs ever and we even get the Fuse scenario. Hyyyype.

• @crepe Wait so the BEST ending was in the game but the stuff you needed to get it wasn't?

• @e_zed_eh_intern The 8th scenario, (Fuse), was entirely cut from the game. I could have sworn there was a "best" ending that got scrapped because of the missing scenario, but looking into it further I am not sure.

Based on how Saga games work, I feel like there probably will be a full ending.

• Could Not Care Less About: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout, Famicom Detective Club, Samurai Warriors 5, Legend of Mana, Monster Hunter Rise, Tales from the Borderlands, No More Heroes 3, Neon White, DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power, Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville, Miitopia, Animal Crossing: New Horizons Update, World's End Club, Hades Physical Release, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass, Bravely Default II, SaGa Frontier Remastered, Apex Legends

(20/30) - I literally didn't care at all about 2/3rds of the announcements, could've been worse.

Not Quite Nothing, Not Yet: Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse, Star Wars Hunters, Knockout City

(3/30) - Stubbs the Zombie will almost certainly be a pass for me on Switch, but I am intrigued about it possibly coming to XGP and this is the first official announcement of its existence. I'm pretty down on Star Wars at the moment, and I doubt this will pull me in, but until we see more I won't totally brush it aside. I actually get the trailer for Knockout City, its different than other games and something I've always thought would be fun; it gives off a Rocket Arena vibe, especially since its published by EA, so I worry of its eventual fate. I may dip into it once it joins EA Play.

That's a Great Port!: Outer Wilds

(1/30) - This is awesome, worth playing, and should hopefully get a lot of new customers; I already own it though on Xbox and don't see a need to double dip to have it on Switch.

Keeping An Eye On: Capcom Arcade Stadium, Project Triangle Strategy, Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, Splatoon 3

(4/30) - I'm glad more collections like Capcom Arcade Stadium are being released and the presentation looks solid, though I will probably wait for this on Xbox as well. I enjoyed the demo for Octopath Traveler but I don't know if I have it in me to finish such a lengthy game, I'll try out the demo for Project Triangle Strategy as well to see if it may be worth the investment. Ghosts 'n Goblins isn't a franchise I'm attached to, and despite initially dismissing the way this new entry looked, the style has grown on me and I may get it down the road. Haven't played Splatoon or Splatoon 2, but I am intrigued by the franchise, interested to find out more about Splatoon 3.

Lock: Mario Golf: Super Rush, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

(2/30) - Mario Golf is one of my favorite franchises, so I will buy this, but I must admit this game looks pretty disappointing. After finally playing through Mario Tennis Aces this past year, I have incredibly low expectations. Its games like this that really make me disappointed in Nintendo, there's no reason for this to seem so small in scope with a full price tag. I know the reputation for Skyward Sword, but I enjoyed watching Kyle stream the first few hours and think I might enjoy it even if its the exact opposite of The Breath of the Wild.

• @miserableperson said in Nintendo Direct discussion thread: it's Happening Edition:

Lock: Mario Golf: Super Rush

why are so many people wanting Mario Golf?
    Golf is literally one of the most boring sports in the world and the only thing about this that looks interesting is Speed Golf.

• @yoshi

A hot take from someone who watches and plays a lot of sports: ALL sports are boring. You have to find the nuance in it yourself. Golf is almost like a martial art where success and improvements don't come easy, but the payoff is a lifetime of fun, travel, and seeing beautiful scenery.

Mario Golf is just fun and I like playing as Mario characters. And the simple metric of sinking the hole faster than your friend is just an easy recipe for fun.

• @yoshi Its interesting, there are a lot of people who are indifferent to watching/playing golf that enjoy the series. Golf can be incredibly frustrating, annoying, and tiring in real life for casual players but it generally loses those issues in a video game. Its hard to totally encapsulate why the positives of the sport translate so well, but I think most just sort of end up looking at it as less of a sports game and more of a challenge. That's why people always associate the RPG mode from the Game Boy games when citing their want for a new entry. As for me, compared to most other Mario spin offs with multiplayer potential, this is the one game that stands the best on its own when it comes to solo play. I can play round after round on a course just trying to improve my score. The Speed Golf looks annoying as hell to me and can burn for all I care, but if that's a mode they felt like they needed to make this then so be it. Just hope we get a substantial amount of courses (this worries me greatly), the RPG mode learns from what made Aces kind of boring, Ring Shot returns, and the physics improve.

• It was perfect. absolutely perfect.
    How can one man make such a perfect game? <3 <3 <3
    new main for sure

Youtube Video