Favourite/Least Favourite Easy Allies Reviews

• @dipset
    Death Stranding did the same to me, was st one point at about 10pm I thought I was near the end, the credits....the real credits didn't roll until 7am. Although at that point I was Stuck at home during quarantine (and dealing with a lab that had lost my COVID test, alongside like 75K others), and just needed anything to do that wasn't playing phone tag with my job's HR department, the case handler for my leave from work, or arranging the delivery of whatever notes or paperwork my employer needed to approve my leave.

• Reeks of entitlement was a strong phrase. I think they lack the appreciation that for many people, as long as they enjoy a game, it being longer can only be a plus.

If you go back to Jones and Huber's discussions, they don't talk about engagement or anything of the like. Huber says "it's just too long". If what they mean is more nuanced than that they they should be the ones to explain it.

My main point is that I sometimes feel that their privilege biases their critique towards what's good for them, rather than the general consumer, or even an enthusiast.

• One that "offends" me particularly was the 10 out of 10 Brandon gave to RDR2. Not because I agree or disagree with the score but because on a discussion after the release he seemed at that point to have only engaged with the game very superficially, showing a surprising lack of knowledge about a game he just reviewed and gave it a 10/10. But that's one of the issues I have Easy Allies approach to reviews of giving a game to review to the person who's the biggest fanboy. I get that fits well with the easy going philosophy of EZAs but at the same time knowing the opinion of a fan about something is generally the least interesting opinion. Having said that I do think they are good reviewers.

Anyway, Quantum Break was great and Huber knows best!!! Remedy for life!! whoop! whoop!

• @phbz I'm sure Jones played the everliving fuck out of RDR2. I did not, but from my understanding, that game was full of complicated controls and obscure shit, so I think even someone who went full cowboy with it could walk away without having a full and complete grasp of everything. Alternatively, people can forget too.

I also don't think giving a game a 10 means you need to have 100%'d a game and be a master of said game. Doing those things can actually harm one's enjoyment of something. If you just play it the way you'd play normally and reach the intended ending and have an amazing time and can explain all the things that made it an amazing time and want to give that game a 10, then I think that's fine.

• @hazz3r said in Favourite/Least Favourite Easy Allies Reviews:

My main point is that I sometimes feel that their privilege biases their critique towards what's good for them, rather than the general consumer, or even an enthusiast.

Nowadays every podcaster, streamer, and journalist alike seems to bring up their ‘codes’ that were provided to them from the publisher. A disclaimer to be open and transparent is one thing but this self affirming “I got the codes” attitude can feel pretty disconnected from the reality of the average game buying consumer.

You aren’t special cause you stream, no need to rub it in my face that you got the game for free because you aren’t even telling me for journalistic integrity reasons.

Definitely a privileged smug aura sometimes...

@Phbz

That’s why I’ve always loved Reviews on the Run / Electric Playground. Victor is always the enthusiastic one who is open to new ideas, the future of the tech, and the little things a game does well. Whereas Tommy or Scott were just the straight man. There is nothing better than Scott Jones just shitting on every single Dynasty Warrior’s game they review. Like, it’s one thing to get a Musou fan to review a Dynasty Warriors game, but it’s another to get an objective voice in there to say “wtf is this shit?”

I still think EZA makes great reviews and in a sense it makes more sense to have fans of the series and genre review that game because they will have the most informed experience. I think back to IGN’s Alien Isolation review and the critic clearly just didn’t like these types of first person horror games and he shat all over it.

• My favorite review is Bloodborne because they retconned the score and made it a 10/10, which it fucking is.

• I personally think that when most people complain about a game being too long I feel that's more an issue of pacing. Like I just finished AC:Valhalla and I feel it's biggest issues is that do it most of the story content being doable in whatever order you want with the only thing gating you potentially being your level (which you can overcome with effort as I did one that was about 100 levels over what I was at) it makes the delivery of some of the more fun an entertaining missions coming way to early (Kingmaker for example) meanwhile alot of the later missions are extremely tame, like the Yuletide and Halloween themed segments are over and done in around 30-40 minutes. There are obviously side quest sprinkled around but they range from mildly entertaining (help kids rescue wolf for example) to just kinda out there (why is a MLB pro in the game? ). There's also the small issue of one of the central characters who's important to the plot just sort of not being involved in alot of the story, hell even after you rescue him he doesn't really do much beyond wandering around your camp till it's time for him to be important again. If anything after 3 games of basically copying The Witcher 3 I think it's time to go back to something like Unity or Syndicate, Smaller world but denser city.

• I think the review for BOTW was good, just the score at the end didn't seem to mesh or match with other games' scores for me. I

i dont really care about reviews though. It really changes depending on who's playing it how the score should be weighted.

• If I can use this topic to speak critically about reviews, the things I want from a video review are increasingly being called spoilers by the gaming culture and review culture writ large. I want footage from the entire game (perhaps not the final boss/final cut scenes, obviously). If the game thinks its story is significant, I want it described to me including what the major themes are and if the game has poignant moments I want to be told what type of moments they are.

I don't expect this will change though, and so I think I would actually get a lot more out of the Allies doing something else besides reviews (or, "in addition to reviews" if people like them). It's common for other weekly podcasts to have 2 or 3 people play a new hotness at the same time and discuss it on the show. This is very different than reviewing a whole game since they've only been playing for a week. Usually games are dropped on a regular basis since the podcast hosts have to move on to something new. But the point is that listening to two people -- who are both playing the game, and where their experiences are very fresh in their minds -- bounce off each other lets you gauge whether the game is truly exciting or not, whether the flaws matter and how much, etc.

• @chocobop Does "Spoiler Mode" fill this? I have never watched because I have never played any of the games.

• @chocobop
    That's actually something I kept struggling with with when I was making my TLOU2 review (I'm still working on it) and that's struggling to figure how much of this or that scene to talk about, should I talk about that scene, and so on. Not to mention should I show the scene, should I show one scene but swap its audio with another, or just not show it at all?

That and actually finding the time to actually work on it, work and online classes are kicking my ass.

• @e_zed_eh_intern said in Favourite/Least Favourite Easy Allies Reviews:

@chocobop Does "Spoiler Mode" fill this? I have never watched because I have never played any of the games.

Well, "Spoiler Mode" is quite a longform piece of content, and it's not not intended to give you an impression of the game.

I can see why you are suggesting this though, because my previous comment about story moments sounds completely alien to how reviews are usually treated. To add more detail, basically I think there is space for short reviews that talk far more candidly about story while still being suitable for someone who might want to play it themselves. Like, a review could say something like "The story gradually culminates in themes of dealing with the aftermath of a neglectful father" or "Moments in game X where one character held the hand of a loved one on their deathbed were especially poignant". Just omit when, how, and who so that the story is still fun to watch, but still provide the actual details that may or may not be relatable to the viewer. If a reviewer just calls a story a masterpiece and uses the word "writing" a lot, that doesn't actually tell me if it is relateable, so I don't know if it is for me (I might even just assume it isn't...ha!).

I think this goes back to showing more gameplay footage too. The dilemma seems to be that if you, the viewer, are extremely eager to play some game that just came out, then your mind becomes a steel trap and your brain will automatically hang onto every little detail from videos you watch ("spoilers") whether you like it or not. So you will only watch reviews that have a very expansive spoiler cloak that won't show you more than the first few worlds or story chapters. But if you aren't eager enough to play a game by default then it doesn't really matter, you won't have the context to either parse or hang onto these details. In fact, you benefit enormously from watching a more candid video, because it becomes more socially engaging which gives your brain more cues to push you into wanting to play it (and the review itself becomes more fun to watch, so your time feels well spent in any case).