Nintendo Hopes & Dreams

• Hey Allies!

I'm launching this topic to be slightly different from the "Nintendrones Unite" one, I'd like to avoid any doom & gloom here, so no need for "F-Zero and Metroid are dead and the NX will suck anyway" :D

Here I want us to share what our favourite Nintendo game series are, why we love them so much, and how we envision their future. In other words, what are your dream Nintendo games?

Personally, Metroid is by far my favourite series (even outside Nintendo), so I'm as desperate as many of you for the next proper entry. As much as I love the 2D games, I can't help but feel like if we were given a successor to Super and Fusion, even a great one, it would still leave me slightly unsatisfied, as those games are usually around 8 hours long, and probably wouldn't bring that many innovations in terms of gameplay.

So what I'm really hoping for is Metroid Prime IV, a grand, epic 3D adventure, with an immersive, atmospheric, alien planet to explore, and a haunting melodic soundtrack. The Prime trilogy was amazing and there's no reason why this success can't be replicated.

What I would really like is for the story to improve, and develop the character of Samus as well as solidify the lore which kind of goes all over the place across the multiple games. Of course, Other M tried to develop Samus and failed miserably, but it was a problem of execution rather than intention. There are ways to develop Samus intelligently, all they need to do is take this aspect of the game seriously and hire an actual writer.

And this can be done without resorting to an Uncharted style of storytelling. Go back to the basics, one woman against a hostile world, exploring ruins of an ancient civilization, a derelict ship, hunted by a mysterious presence, etc. All these elements have been done in past Metroid games, but I feel like a top-tier writer could elevate the series to new heights and fulfill its enormous potential.

What about you? What would your ideal Nintendo sequel be like?

• A new F-Zero.
    A new Metroid by Retro.
    A new Custom Robo. Hell, I can honestly see that one being a big ticket item for the NX. Customize Robos and battle online at home, then bring it with you ro battle on the go.
    An FE Musou might be neat too.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Nintendo Hopes & Dreams:

An FE Musou might be neat too.

Yes! Someone else mentioned this a while back, and it's so perfect, a much better fit than Zelda actually. They have so many characters to choose from, it would make sense to be fighting against entire armies, it wouldn't even be a stretch to adapt Fire Emblem to this type of gameplay. It's a no-brainer really! Let's hope somebody at Nintendo had the same idea.

• I'd love a new long form, large scale Mario game. The Galaxy games were great and 3D Land/World were also fun but I want to feel like I am jumping and running around the mushroom kingdom again like in Mario 64 or how the unique design of Isle Delfino played into the actual levels of Mario Sunshine. The recent Mario games have felt like strings of loosely connected levels. I just want to explore the weird and wonderful worlds the Mario IP can create.

It could go open world but I'd prefer the world to be made up of several tightly packed hubs with connected levels coming off them. Think Rare N64-era platformer style world design.

I'd also love to see a new fully fledged Animal Crossing title on the NX sooner rather than later.

Also new F-Zero and Star Fox games.

(Star Fox because I love me some Star Fox and I always want more!)

• Most of what I want from nintendo is more of the same. The new zelda looks great so I have some hope that they know what they're doing.

A new metroid prime is at the top of my list. Improve the graphics, isolate samus on a planet, and don't shove the story in my face and I'm all in.

I'd like a new 3D mario with really vibrant colors. I also like the idea of interconnected levels (maybe something where you could see other levels off in the distance).....How about a 3D mario maker?

• Gimme Super Mario Galaxy 3 and I'll be one happy girl. I'm also anxiously anticipating Mario Kart 9, NX Animal Crossing, and a return to classic Mario Party.

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Pikmin 4
    New Donkey Kong Country
    New 3D Mario

We could get all 4 next year, drool...

• Lots of people have already said an adventure Mario like 64 or Sunshine, so I won't rattle on about that., but I do have some crazy dreams so hear me out.

First off, this is probably the simplest thing. Just bring back Advance Wars. Not Days of Ruin Advance Wars either. Dual Strike was an amazing game yes, but it's been a long time since then. I know they can do more with the franchise. It was a really fun strategy game, and Fire Emblem just doesn't fill the hole, Code Name S.T.E.A.M. certainly didn't either. That garbage was almost as forced as Federation Force.

Now traveling further away from smart business decisions. Not sure how many people will actually agree with this, but I want Wario Land back, Wario LAND, not Wario WARE. Yes, there's lots of games in the series already. Yes, four is practically the perfect iteration of it. Yes, Warioware is also a great series with cool unique characters. I still would like a new entry with Wario Land style gameplay though. Sickens me to see New Super Mario Bros. 2, a game about the pure greed of collecting coins and getting the ultimate high score as fast as possible with a complete absence of Wario. Don't steal Wario's premise Mario. You have enough.

Entering even-less-likely land, this is a very simple desire. See Mario Party? I'm not going to complain about the recent design decisions you've taken with the series. I thought Bowser Party and Amiibo Party in 10 were quite fun. That's fine Nintendo... BUT IT NEEDS ONLINE! Where the heck is the online Nintendo? This game makes more sense than any other game you make to have online, yet you keep pumping them out iteration after iteration lacking online. You claim you want us to play with buddies on the couch, but that's unrealistic. Not everyone can do that. Some of us have friends very far away we want to party with. I don't even care if it's a rocky start and it takes a couple games for the online to become good. Just start making the effort Nintendo. I'm tired of your excuses.

Now we've come to the edge of probability, pretty much the farthest thing from likely, but it's still a dream that deserves to be shared. So, remember when there was that really old game very few people cared about anymore called Kid Icarus? Remember how it was just rotting as something hard from the past nobody cared enough about to discuss or do anything with? Remember how Masahiro Sakurai, better known as the developer who makes Super Smash Bros. games, scooped up that little forgotten game from the past and lovingly crafted a frankly stunning sequel for it all these years later, even though nobody was asking for it, nobody even cared about Kid Icarus? I remember. How about reviving another jolly little forgotten series from the past that nobody seems to care about anymore? How about rebooting Ice Climbers on the scale of Kid Icarus: Uprising?

So that's it. Those are my improbable dreams for the future of Nintendo. Most of it probably won't ever happen, but if Miyamoto keeps pumping out quality Pikmin games, and I get my Yoshi, Mario, and Kirby fix every now and then I'll live. Wait, there's something out there over the edge, floating in the void. It looks like a dream, but it's so beat up, so dragged through the mud, so broken that it's hard to make out. Let me see if I can decipher this. Okay. Yes. Alright, this is starting to make sense. Oh no, it can't be. Oh no, it is. It says...

MAKE SUPER MARIO RPG GREAT AGAIN

• I wouldn't worry too much about the games. The hardware is what will make it or break it. The price, the performance, Third party support etc. Will decide whether NX succeeds or not. Let's hope for the best.

• I know you guys want happy thoughts about nintendo, but can't help to think how bad they are doing and how much I dislike of their choice of gimmicks and unpowered home consoles. The N64 did me wrong. I feel like their last best console was the SENS. But for some reason I love their handhelds and what they do in that space

• I'd be happy with a good Metroid.

• From Nintendo, I'd love for them to keep making great games; I just went to the 3DS section of Target, and of the 32 games there, only 10 were games I didn't want to play. Like...Monsters High. And some Snoopy game, haha?

I love that someone mentioned Custom Robo. That game was amazing; there was some 3DS game called LBX that sounded almost exactly like Custom Robo, to the point where I took out my phone and checked to make sure they didn't have the same developer.

The Soul Blazer trilogy has to make a return at some point. It just has to.

I also love the feeling I get from Nintendo trying out new IPs. Splatoon was awesome, especially when viewed in the context of "FPSes are pretty fun, what would Nintendo do to make the genre more 'Nintendo?'" I'd like to see another IP; maybe one that focuses on the characters and story, rather than the gameplay? What I mean is, Nintendo loves to slot in its characters into their genres; you're not exactly buying the new Zelda game, you're buying the new Nintendo action-adventure-puzzle game. Yeah, you're technically buying the new Mario game, but it's really just the new Nintendo platforming game. Getting you really invested into the goings-on of the world is something Nintendo usually leaves to third-party developers.

Of course, they could just try to make another popular genre. A Nintendo hero brawler, or RTS, or survival horror game or something. I really just like to experience the thrill of them trying something new.

Er, my next part got really rant-y, and kind of specifically goes against what was asked for in the OP, so I put it in spoilers, because I'd like the focus of my post to be more on what I have already written.

From the community, however, could we please, please, please, PLEASE stop talking about how "underpowered" and "gimmicky" Nintendo consoles are? Can we please stop acting like we didn't enjoy the crap out of the SNES, despite being the underpowered console of the generation? Can we please stop acting like seeing 4 billion particles on screen is somehow inferior to seeing 6 billion particles? Can we please stop acting like Wind Waker and Kirby's Adventure don't still look great, despite being 14 and 23 year old games? Can we please stop acting like the wiimote was the only first party controller available for the Wii? Can we please stop acting like the Dpad-two stick-four face buttons-four shoulder buttons controller is the absolute pinnacle of controller design? Can we just have fun with a Nintendo console for once without bringing our 20-year-old baggage into the equation?

We've reached a point in our society where the public opinion of a console creates a positive feedback loop on how well the console sells; how many times have you heard someone say, "I couldn't decide whether to get the PS4 or Xbox One version, so I just got the one my friends had?" I sure feel like it's been years since the last time I heard someone mention the word "Wii" without the word "Underpowered" following close behind.

We get it.
    The chips are worse.
    The numbers are lower.
    That doesn't, in any way, mean that an enjoyable game can't be made on the platform.

PS:

Spoiler

• @thenerdtheword said in Nintendo Hopes & Dreams:

I'd love a new long form, large scale Mario game. The Galaxy games were great and 3D Land/World were also fun but I want to feel like I am jumping and running around the mushroom kingdom again like in Mario 64 or how the unique design of Isle Delfino played into the actual levels of Mario Sunshine. The recent Mario games have felt like strings of loosely connected levels. I just want to explore the weird and wonderful worlds the Mario IP can create.

It could go open world but I'd prefer the world to be made up of several tightly packed hubs with connected levels coming off them. Think Rare N64-era platformer style world design.

I agree, basically give the next Mario the same ambition they're giving Breath of the Wild. Of course, a by-the-book Super Mario Galaxy 3, in all its 1080p glory, would already be amazing, but it would be great if they would push boundaries again.

@Inflorescence It's not exactly a Nintendo game, it's a Platinum game, but have you tried The Wonderful 101? It's as close as I think you can get to a "Nintendo hero brawler", and it's so charming. And I agree with you, I'm also tired of the negativity around Nintendo, sure they keep messing up every now and then, but they also deliver magic more often than not (ok maybe except this past year). So I fully trust them to make NX an amazing console with an amazing library of games.

• @jipostus That's what the topic is about.

@Acidtrip-69 As much as I respect you, I still feel like the first part of your comment is out of place here. Also, I find it strange that you felt wronged by the N64 when that's probably the Nintendo system I can name the most rad games from. Maybe it's just cause I rented lots during that era and found tons of gems, but N64 has a really great library. It's before third parties abandoned Nintendo, and there's still legendary games from the system that would cause me to freak out if they got sequels on modern Nintendo consoles today. I can't even explain how much fun I had with friends with my N64.

@Inflorescence Pikmin is basically Nintendo's RTS. Thanks for the spoiler tagging btw.

Although, I have to admit that no, we can't stop talking about "underpowered" and "gimmicky", because face it that determines largely what we get from a system. Sometimes it works out like Super Mario Maker, but most of the time it's just a hindrance for developers who would otherwise want to put their games on the system, but it's just difficult to develop for cause of a gimmick or not enough power. Not every developer can do the Nintendo magic of making an underpowered game look just as nice as one that would be on another console. Also, yes others controllers existed for the Wii, but lots of games straight up require you to use the Wiimote. It's actually annoying having to use the Wiimote to go back and play Super Mario Galaxy games, because waggle isn't as responsive as you want it to be for some of the tougher challenges and pointing the Wiimote as the sensor bar doesn't always work so well depending on your home entertainment setup.

True, enjoyable games can be and are made, but imagine the games we'd have if the systems didn't suffer from always being behind on tech and if it had third parties behind it like the old days. Also, simply imagine how much better the enjoyable games we already have would be.

• Rhythm Heaven,Pikmin, Splatoon and Animal Crossing are the only Nintendo games I really care about anymore beyond that I really like Endless Ocean (which isnt really Nintendo) so I guess I would like sequels to all of those but I would also love some new stuff like Splatoon.

Edit : I will throw Advance Wars in here too.

• @Vexchaneu said in Nintendo Hopes & Dreams:

Edit : I will throw Advance Wars in here too.

Yes! It is such a shame they have not really done anything of note with the Advance Wars franchise in a long, long time.

• Nintendo should ditch all their franchises and make only new IPs.

• Metroid back to its roots. They still make top down Zelda games. Let's see a 2D or 2.5D Metroid game.

• A new 2D Metroid, and a new Prime
    A new F-Zero
    A new Custom Robo
    A new Splatoon (which ill bet is a guaranteed at this time)
    Some more Dynasty Warriors spin-offs (Fire Emblem, Smash Bros, and Advance Wars come to mind)
    A third person action adventure Smash Bros spin off, developed by Platinum
    A real Pokemon game for console, although im almost certain that the 3rd game to Sun and Moon will be it (Eclipse?)
    Some third party exclusive deals (Bayonetta 3, Megaman Legends 3, things like that)

• A next gen metroidvania Metroid Prime. It could be set primarily on one planet as long as it's lore and imagery are varied enough. Still, I don't want it to be a step back from Corruption: Samus should be able to use her ship to fly to other planets and space stations. That and the visuals are what'll make or break how "next gen" it is (i.e.: how well it sells).