Your Pop-Tarts & Toaster Strudels for Q2 2021

• Not that this is a make or break by any means for the vast majority of people, but the news is in: ME Legendary Edition IS changing the Mako

https://kotaku.com/mass-effect-legendary-edition-will-remove-the-makos-bul-1846628250

“This legendary vehicle from the first Mass Effect has been ‘calibrated’ to perform better than ever,” Ingram explained. “In the original game, the physics tuning for the Mako made it feel too light and bouncy, even at times becoming uncontrollable, but it’s now a much smoother ride while still being ‘loveable’ like before. (Yes, you can still drive off cliffs to your heart’s content).”

Combat is getting the biggest overhaul in Mass Effect Legendary Edition, with many of the adjustments made with an emphasis on balancing the RPG-style experience in the first Mass Effect with the more gunplay-focused sequels.

Other changes to the rest of the trilogy include an overhaul of the karma system in Mass Effect 2 as well as rebalancing for Mass Effect 3’s Galaxy at War mode now that the multiplayer and mobile aspects no longer exist.

Yeah idk. I'm one of those hipsters that thinks Mass Effect is the best in the trilogy (I haven't fully finished ME3), and I love how otherworldly and alien the game felt. The Mako was a huge part of that for me. I loved the bouncy physics. It was a lot more fun that the weird Roomba hovercraft from some levels in ME2. I also liked the RPG spacey weird infinite ammo combat in the original too.

Again, I know these things are extremely subjective, but that alien sci-fi foreign planet feeling that Mass Effect achieved was lightening in a bottle to me and I really hope they don't tamper with it too much in this remaster.

• @brunojoey said:

Toaster Strudel: New Pokemon Snap
    Literally just for the price tag of $60. I haven't been convinced myself, it's worth that much yet. It looks beautiful and a great evolution of the first game, but looks like a game I'll finish in a week and not touch it in a few years.

Yeah, but you want them to keep making them, don't you?

• @mbun I don't think he or anyone is saying they want less games, just that they would like appropriate valuation for the product instead of the gross price gouging Nintendo are becoming increasingly infamous for.

• @el-shmiablo Except there's no price gouging going on here. The game is already confirmed to have over 200 Pokemon with lots of custom animations. The experience might be short, but it is a dense experience. Weren't you guys asking for shorter games before anyways?

the gross price gouging Nintendo are becoming increasingly infamous for

Relax your console wars boner already. Nintendo is only co-publishing this game. It is a Bandai Namco joint planned by The Pokémon Company. Even if Nintendo was making lots of decisions, I don't think your accusation really holds true at all, outside of maybe enhanced ports and rare atrocities like 3D All Stars. I don't think there's many new games from them you could point to and claim are overpriced.

• @mbun

Just to be devils advocate here, I got Pokémon Snap when I was a little kid (5-6 years old) and it cost my parents full price like 59.99 at the time. I played it, didn’t understand what was even happening and then I think I beat it in an hour or so and just didn’t understand wtf I was playing.

Pokémon is literally made for kids, and as a kid, I understood every other Pokémon game at the time, yet, Snap confused the shit outta me and I was done in like 2 seconds. Thank god back then you could march on back to the store and return it.

It wasn’t worth full price in 1999-2000 and it definitely isn’t worth full price in 2021, even with more animations.

Likewise, Nintendo porting Wii U games at full price and never dropping it is also really dumb and an obvious double dip to recoup lost costs.

• @mbun Why would you think that somebody rightly calling out a company on their horrible practices to be "console war" related?
    I'm sorry if, for whatever ridiculous reason, you think I hate all things Nintendo, but coddling them and excusing them of all misdeeds isn't going to help either.

Regardless of who is making the game, Nintendo commissioned it and it determining the price of it. But boo fuckity hoo stop bullying poor Nintendo I guess.

• @dipset said:

I played it, didn’t understand what was even happening and then I think I beat it in an hour or so and just didn’t understand wtf I was playing.

Exaggerate much? Your story doesn't hold up. Your experience is near impossible, especially for self-proclaimed not understanding the mechanics. The only way the game is that short is if somebody knows exactly what to do going in and crit paths it. You still don't see close to all the content the game offers even playing it this way either. I hate stories like this. People say the same thing about Yoshi's Story, because you can get an ending pretty fast, but you're only playing a fourth of the game's levels in doing so.

Games have different designs and different goals. Some are suited for shorter playthroughs but with more replay value. Pokemon Snap is one of those games. You're supposed to keep going back and exploring interactions. Anyone can say any game at any price isn't worth it to them, and that's fine. Don't buy it then. I seriously feel like the same people attacking this for short length would defend other games with just as short a length for the same price and exclaim how much they enjoy the game being short and sweet without all the bloat.

yet, Snap confused the shit outta me

Because there was basically nothing like it and in the time since it has come out very few have tried to emulate it even. It wasn't even originally supposed to be a Pokemon game. It was going to be a photography game but the project got expensive and they were expecting it to be a commercial failure, so they spun it into Pokemon to save the project, which worked.

It wasn’t worth full price in 1999-2000

Tell that to everyone who's been begging for a sequel for all this time. Lots of us preordered this game ASAP, even knowing it'll be a short experience, because the short, dense experience will be fully worth it to us. There's very little remotely like these games. You can't really point to someone doing it better and charging less for it. The closest comparison is theme park rides, and those are notoriously expensive to R&D, construct, and operate. That's without the interactive element of a game where players can alter the "ride" and discover new experiences on it.

@El-Shmiablo said:

Why would you think that somebody rightly calling out a company on their horrible practices to be "console war" related?

You know what you do. I get pretty tired of reading your forum posts always propping up Sony and attacking the other of the big three. It is just boring at this point. Even you have to be sick of it. Nintendo had next to nothing to do with this topic but you found a way to take stabs at them over it regardless. It didn't add anything to the conversation, besides yet another example of stupid console wars inciting.

Regardless of who is making the game, Nintendo commissioned it

Grossly wrong. Nintendo couldn't force this game to exist if they wanted. The Pokémon Company are the ones who made the call. Nintendo has to bow to how they choose to handle the franchise. That's why you see weird shit like very few Pokemon amiibo and the Pokemon costumes in Super Mario Maker not making sounds like most of the other costumes, because The Pokémon Company is weird and refuses to play ball often, even with Nintendo. Nintendo can make requests of them, make suggestions, but ultimately the decisions come down to what The Pokémon Company decides. People always blaming Nintendo for whatever is going on with Pokemon is the most ignorant shit that's constantly parroted. Yes, Nintendo owns a stake in them, but it isn't a majority stake, and they're not pulling the strings.

• Alright champ. Whatever you say.

I think I change my toaster Strudel to Pokemon Snap. Looks like some overpriced, low effort trash, but then again I should be used to that with this franchise.

• @el-shmiablo What's your beef with the Pokemon franchise and Pokemon Snap in particular?

• @yoshi Yes we do

• @mbun

I don’t know what to tell you. If a 6 year old kid like myself convinces his parents to spend A LOT of money on get a POKÉMON game made for kids of that age, then proceeds to not understand how to play it or what he’s even doing, then I think it’s reasonable for the kid and parents to want some resolution there.

I’m not saying it isn’t a unique game. I’m saying it was called POKÉMON, played absolutely nothing like any other Pokémon game, was much shorter than any other game I’d ever played up to that point, absolutely nothing really happened in the game to the point I wasn’t even sure if I was playing or not.

You can defend Snap all you want, this was the lived experience of a 6 year old who LOVED Pokémon and the best day I could have was walking to Wal-Mart, getting an ice cream from the McDonald’s, and coming home with a few Pokémon VHS tapes. Quite literally the target demographic for Pokémon.

I don’t buy the pre-order argument. Good for those people, but we live in a world where people are paying like 2.5x as much as retail for a PS5 or getting into a queue for an Animal Crossing stuffed toy.

People have done asinine things to defend and justify their Pokémon purchases over the years. More power to them, but try telling that to my parents who JUST bought their kid a game and then he finishes it in a handful of hours and is confused by it and so are they.

• @dipset said:

I’m saying it was called POKÉMON, played absolutely nothing like any other Pokémon game

This exact mindset is why they refuse to change the main series too much over time. People complain they don't change it enough, but if they did it would alienate people for being so different from how it has been all this time. Considering Snap is a spinoff, I think it is okay to not be the same kind of gameplay. The Pokemon themselves are still the focal point of the game, and you get to experience the most realistic depictions of an environment full of Pokemon, something they still haven't topped since the original. Original Snap blows something like Pokemon stomping around the Wild Area out of the water, and it came out in 1999 on the N64.

absolutely nothing really happened in the game

I really wonder how far you got. Are you just one of those players who needs very blatant objectives telling you what to do instead of experimenting and discovering things for yourself? I know some people are just like that and tend to bounce off of games like Minecraft and such that are more about discovering stuff with some background goals most players don't pay attention to.

I don’t buy the pre-order argument. Good for those people, but we live in a world where people are paying like 2.5x as much as retail for a PS5 or getting into a queue for an Animal Crossing stuffed toy.

So you think people happy about a new game in the series or preordering it immediately are just hopping on a zeitgeist or something? This game has lots of fans, even fans who didn't play it way back then. Look at when EZA streamed it. It captivated Ian and some of the others. Unlike those other two things you named, there's not going to be any shortage of copies with this game, so there's no need to rush out and get it. There's just people like myself who already know, even if New Pokemon Snap is really short, we're going to so throughly enjoy it that it'll be worth the price at launch. Even if New Pokemon Snap is half as good as the original, it'll be worth it. New Pokemon Snap would honestly have to end up as bad as Balan Wonderworld for us to feel burned by it probably.

People have done asinine things to defend and justify their Pokémon purchases over the years.

There's definitely some things I roll my eyes at in that department, especially in the GO sector, but it all just depends on how much value people put on different things. People buy sports games that are yearly installments that are the exact same game with updated rosters. Ben just spent $105 on Genshin Impact at extremely poor chances to pull random characters to play as, which you can kind of view as a very expensive Fighter DLC roulette. Yeah, he did it as an incentive for a fundraiser thing, but there's legit people who drop crazy cash on Gacha games happily all the time, because they value the characters or the experience the games offer enough to justify it to themselves. Then you have community member Lotias (shout out) playing Star Citizen or whatever, where they spend hundreds of dollars on expendable ships you can lose in a snap.

I'm not going to say there's not people making silly Pokemon purchases out there, or simply try to deflect with people making questionable purchases elsewhere as gone into above. No, I really think this game, super short or not, has $60 of value in it, just as the original did. We're not going to KNOW for sure until launch of course, but it is looking promising in my opinion. The presentation looks great for a game running on the underpowered Switch hardware. They've confirmed a large number of Pokemon with custom animations. You know there's going to be a bunch of different environments with different ecosystems, essentially different puzzles to uncover different interactions, maybe discover new paths through areas.

Yeah, I'm probably not going to get 300 hours out of New Pokemon Snap like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or something, but I'm not looking for that right now either. Rise is keeping me busy, and all I want is to reexperience the kind of magic the original offered, even if it is a short trip. Not short by any fault of the developer though. Short because every moment is dense with things going on akin to an animated film or such. Again, I see it like a theme park ride, and if people can book reservations for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and pay way, way more to go experience that in person just for the sense of momentarily stepping into that world, then one should be able to understand how this game could offer a similar experience for someone who's very into Pokemon. But hey, maybe you just love Pokemon for the battling or other gamey features this game doesn't offer, and that's fine too. I'm not trying to say you have to like it, just explain how for many of us this is THE premiere Pokemon experience we've been waiting two decades for another taste of.

• @mbun

I just want to make one thing clear. When I said Snap wasn't worth it in 2000 and it isn't worth it in 2021, I am speaking from the point of view of a 6-7 year old. When I describe my personal experience with the gameplay, I am speaking from the point of view of a 6-7 year old.

I really wonder how far you got. Are you just one of those players who needs very blatant objectives telling you what to do instead of experimenting and discovering things for yourself?

Like, I can barely answer this question because I was, again, 6-7 years old. That's kind of my whole point. The game was made for children, yet as a child, I found the game confusing. There weren't 25-30 year old's who cared about Pokemon back then. I can't really speak to my mindset back then. I feel like I only understood so much about games back then, but most would tide me over for a near infinite amount of time whereas this specific one had me asking my parents if its working right. I'm not saying my experience was the definitive experience of children who played Pokemon Snap in 2000, but I can safely say none of my friends liked or understood the game.

I'm sure it has value as a piece of history by today's standards. I'm sure it has value to those who have been clamoring for a new one all of these years.

NEW Pokemon Snap is aimed at not only kids but also Millennials and Zoomers who still care about Pokemon. There is more context and understanding around this new game. But without that context and history, there is a chance that it'll be a pretty bland 4 hour game that costs $79.99+tax. And without the context of the original Pokemon Snap, I doubt this new one even gets made at all.

It isn't guaranteed to be fun nor bad, but that's the whole point of Pop Tart and Toaster Strudel.

• @dipset DUDE JUST THINKING CRITICALLY ABOUT ALL THIS STUFF AND BUY THE DAMN GAME

@JDINCINERATOR I just get annoyed when incredibly well off companies produce incredibly low effort schlock because they know that fans will eat it up regardless.

• @el-shmiablo said in Your Pop-Tarts & Toaster Strudels for Q2 2021:

I just get annoyed when incredibly well off companies produce incredibly low effort schlock because they know that fans will eat it up regardless.

like selling a brand new console with nothing to play at launch except some Spiderman DLC and a remaster of an old PS3 game right?

• @yoshi Are you planning to ever grow up?

• @yoshi You're such a big fan of the Switch I figured you would really liked consoles that don't really have anything to play but remasters of old games and DLC.

• @el-shmiablo i'm not the one getting annoyed because of incredibly well off companies producing low effort schlock that fans will eat up like Pokemon Snap Sequels and Demon Souls remasters like you are in this thread though.

what's your point?

• @yoshi I mean, you literally are.

• @el-shmiablo you keep thinking that.

now continue whining to Mbun if you will.