The Elder Scrolls: Legends

• I found an invite for this in my inbox today, so I've been playing around with it a little bit. There's no NDA so don't worry I'm not discussing anything illegal lol.

Has anyone else been invited? If so, what do you think of it?

I played my fair share of TCGs in the past, usually in person, very few online TCGs, but I did back Hex on kickstarter and found myself not really liking it as much as I'd hoped, and like many others I've had a love/hate relationship with Hearthstone.

After checking this game out for awhile I have to say they're on a pretty good start here, it could very well end up being a noteworthy title in the genre!

I'll list a few of the key differences I see with this game that are either unique or borrow from another TCG but they put their own spin on:

• Playing field consists of 2 fields of 4 cards each for each player. Cards can only attack other cards on the same lane as them. Persistent lane effects can also be in play on one lane but not the other such as Shadows, which gives you stealth for one turn after being summoned to that lane.

• Deck building is interesting, so instead of picking a class that defines what cards you use, you chose two attributes: Strength, Agility, Endurance, etc. These will define what cards go into your deck. Agility is mostly stealthy cards with OHKO mechanics, endurance likes to provide you with bonus Magicka (Think mana from Hearthstone) either permanently while the card lives, or just for that turn.

• On top of the health your character has, there's pre-set spots that give you a card after taking 5 damage, so at my point in the single player campaign I have 30 health and can get 5 bonus cards. This also has a strategic value as some cards when drawn this way get bonus effects you can't get any other way.

I can update this as I go for anyone who's interested, but I just have to say as someone who's fallen out of love with Bethesda games and TCGs this game has me pretty excited so far!

• I just realized that the beta won't work on Mac. Weak. I thought it was made for all of Hearthstone's platforms. I'll be playing it on iOS when it comes out anyway, I suppose.

I'm excited for The Elder Scrolls: Legends, despite the sarcastic tone with which its title is usually spoken. The Tamriel setting / Elder Scrolls lore is greatly preferable to Hearthstone's would-be jokeyness, and I'm honestly just looking for a less kiddy-gloves card game.

I wonder: Do we know if the runes scale up with life gain decks? That's be interesting, especially since HS totally killed that playstyle for all but warrior.

• @Haru17 said in The Elder Scrolls: Legends:

I just realized that the beta won't work on Mac. Weak. I thought it was made for all of Hearthstone's platforms. I'll be playing it on iOS when it comes out anyway, I suppose.

I'm excited for The Elder Scrolls: Legends, despite the sarcastic tone with which its title is usually spoken. The Tamriel setting / Elder Scrolls lore is greatly preferable to Hearthstone's would-be jokeyness, and I'm honestly just looking for a less kiddy-gloves card game.

I wonder: Do we know if the runes scale up with life gain decks? That's be interesting, especially since HS totally killed that playstyle for all but warrior.

I haven't seen too many cards that react with runes in that way yet, though there are cards that get more powerful depending on how many have been broken already.

I just played through the campaign on stream today, quite fun! I think I'll be playing more of it in the future, the setting appeals to me somewhat and it'll be nice to play something that's closer to MTG than to Hearthstone.

Also....damn, that sucks about it not being on MAC :(

Maybe it's only that way for beta?

• @ZyloWolfBane No, the wikipedia page lists PC and iOS, so gtfo Mac & Android users =P

Anyway, I'll just play it on iPhone like I do Hearthstone whenever it decides to release.

• @Haru17 said in The Elder Scrolls: Legends:

@ZyloWolfBane No, the wikipedia page lists PC and iOS, so gtfo Mac & Android users =P

Anyway, I'll just play it on iPhone like I do Hearthstone whenever it decides to release.

Well that blows, hopefully the mobile version works just as well!

The game is rather good, it's closer in relation to MTG in it's complexity than Hearthstone I'd say, which is what holds my attention as I always had more fun building decks and testing them, and eventually making people's jaws drop during tournaments.

Like no joke, friend of mine and I back in the Yu-Gi-Oh days went for the regionals in california. We were all in the top 5. Would just spend entire days/nights planning new decks and testing them, it was a blast. And I had the same love for the WoW TCG when it was still a thing.

Still sad WoW TCG was basically scrapped because Blizzard wanted to make Hearthstone, it's nowhere near as good of a TCG as it's forefather.

I just don't get that level of depth from Hearthstone, just the same netdecks over and over and over. And little to no room for making decks on your own cause they just don't compete well enough.